PDA

View Full Version : how can you take the dems seriously??

sq764
08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

Obama Warns of Gas Guzzling Cars in Town Hall Meeting
Tue Aug 15 2006 21:47:08 ET

Illinois Senator Barack Obama warns citizens at his 50th Town Hall meeting about gas guzzling, WPSD-TV reports.

It was among many points made to the standing room only audience at the Metropolis Community Center. Obama spoke on everything from DC politics to global warming.

He says part of the blame for the world's higher temperatures rests on gas guzzling vehicles. Obama says consumers can make the difference by switching to higher mileage hybrids.

Today the Senator said, "It would save more energy, do more for the environment and create better world security than all the drilling we could do in Alaska."

"After the meeting... Obama left in a GMC Envoy after admitting to favoring SUV's himself," claimed local News Channel 6.

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, that is indeed a hoot. Anyone who has watched Bill Clinton and his posse drive about town since his presidency ended can attest to the fact that these guys certainly don't walk the walk....

Lip service at its best....

Secretariat
08-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Well, there are hybrid SUV's now. Certainly not as advantagous as smaller cars ,but still vast increases of savings on regular SUV's. I agree if you're going to be a leader and promote hybrid technology, you need to buy a hybrid car. I have since 2002, and its the best investment in an automobile i've ever made. Never had a problem with it and have over 109,000 miles since then. (I travel a lot).

Polticians who do this need to reappraise this. Dennis Hastert did the same thing as Obama a few weeks ago at the Hydrogen fuel conference. It is inexcusable. But simply because polticians can be hypocritical does not diminsh the importance of what his message is. And that is current gas guzzling technology is a old technology, and a disaster in terms of our foregin policy with its dependence on fossil burnign fuels, and environmentally in terms of green house gases and their ramifications.

This i not a political issue for me, and I'll criticize any party that sits on its butt and does nothing on this whether its Obama or Hastert. But to argue because Obama or Hastert promote alternative sources, but aren't living up to what they preach so we shouldn't do anything is fallacious.

Snag
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Even AlGore travels in an SUV. WOW!

I guess "helping the little guy" act is being shown for what it really is, an act.

Secretariat
08-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Even AlGore travels in an SUV. WOW!

How do you make that leap?

Snag
08-16-2006, 09:09 AM
It's not worth it Sec. Forget it.

sq764
08-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, there are hybrid SUV's now. Certainly not as advantagous as smaller cars ,but still vast increases of savings on regular SUV's. I agree if you're going to be a leader and promote hybrid technology, you need to buy a hybrid car. I have since 2002, and its the best investment in an automobile i've ever made. Never had a problem with it and have over 109,000 miles since then. (I travel a lot).

Polticians who do this need to reappraise this. Dennis Hastert did the same thing as Obama a few weeks ago at the Hydrogen fuel conference. It is inexcusable. But simply because polticians can be hypocritical does not diminsh the importance of what his message is. And that is current gas guzzling technology is a old technology, and a disaster in terms of our foregin policy with its dependence on fossil burnign fuels, and environmentally in terms of green house gases and their ramifications.

This i not a political issue for me, and I'll criticize any party that sits on its butt and does nothing on this whether its Obama or Hastert. But to argue because Obama or Hastert promote alternative sources, but aren't living up to what they preach so we shouldn't do anything is fallacious.
Just incredibly hypocritical and foolish, that is all.

Tom
08-16-2006, 03:52 PM
How do you make that leap?

That wasn't a leap.
Not even a step.
Was barely a turn.
Not close to a schlep.

Show Me the Wire
08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
The dems new slogan sould be:

"Do as we say, not as we do."

Secretariat
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Just incredibly hypocritical and foolish, that is all.

You prefer blindness?

Secretariat
08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
The dems new slogan sould be:

"Do as we say, not as we do."

Is that applicable to Hastert as well?

This is the common Repub way. Demonize the messenger. The question remains - is the issue real and does it need to be dealt with promptly.

Show Me the Wire
08-16-2006, 07:25 PM
really it applies to all politicians.

Secretariat
08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
really it applies to all politicians.

I agree, and I'm glad we agree on something, but as I stated in the previous post the real question remains - is the issue real and does it need to be dealt with promptly?

Tom
08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
No.

Show Me the Wire
08-16-2006, 11:20 PM
sec:

Since Tom, whom I respect says no that is my answer too!

Lefty
08-16-2006, 11:40 PM
sec, what's wrong with demonizing the messenger if said messenger not true to his own msg?
we can't conserve enough energy so we must have more and more energy. We must explore all alternative sources, but until they become feasible, we must drill for oil in the U.S. everyplace it exists.