PDA

View Full Version : Cigar 10 Years Ago

bigmack
08-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Baileys fault or genuinely beaten?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJD_jjvqRk

46zilzal
08-15-2006, 07:47 PM
if you are referring to the Pacific Classic it was a genuine case of damned if you go WITH the pace (Siphon would have ground him up) and damned if you wait (Siphon would have gone off and hidden on an uncontested lead). I would have brought in a rabbit to soften him up.

Ron
08-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for posting that! It was fun to watch!

bigmack
08-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks for posting that! It was fun to watch!
You're becoming likeable - All is right in the world -

chickenhead
08-16-2006, 01:17 AM
every time you post a youtube link I end up wasting half an hour looking at mentos and coke geysers or bum fights or weird euro commercials. Stop it!

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55YYaJIrmzo

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI

this world is a crazy place.

KirisClown
08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Baileys fault or genuinely beaten?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJD_jjvqRk

That took me a while to upload that video to youtube...

The commentary afterwards was interesting.... they said people at Del Mar booed Cigar, Bailey, Solis and Dare and Go.. must have been a fun day.

Bailey and Mott placed most of the blame on the loss to Dramatic Gold and Nakatani..

I think more then anything they pinpointed Siphon as the horse to beat, so they went after him... Siphon beat Cigar's would be heir at the time Geri in the Hollywood Gold Cup... they didnt want a replay of that race.

bigmack
08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
they said people at Del Mar booed Cigar, Bailey, Solis and Dare and Go.. must have been a fun day.
I was there and that ain't what happened

KirisClown
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I'll have to upload what they said...

46zilzal
08-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Bailey and Mott placed most of the blame on the loss to Dramatic Gold and Nakatani..

I think more then anything they pinpointed Siphon as the horse to beat, so they went after him... Siphon beat Cigar's would be heir at the time Geri in the Hollywood Gold Cup... they didnt want a replay of that race.
Nakatani just kept him outside. There was no foul......Sour grapes....."Wise men look for answers, lesser men look for blame." (Old Taoist statement)

bigmack
08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Wise men look for answers, lesser men look for blame." (Old Taoist statement)
Well said 46. One of my favs - "Stop thinking, and end your problems"

Speaking of Nakatani - Bacteria from Mexico without visiting there??

After spending five days in the hospital with a nasty virus, and missing nearly one week of racing, jockey Corey Nakatani returned to action on Monday and headed straight for the winner's circle after riding Quiet Kim to victory in the second race. Nakatani was released from the hospital on Saturday afternoon.

"I had the whole enchilada - fever, vomiting, I had the runs, and I had my temperature get up to 104 degrees," Nakatani said. "It was pretty hairy. My potassium level was real low. The doctors said if I wasn't as fit as I was, I might not be here."

Nakatani was at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, Calif., where his wife, Lisa, is a nurse.

"I got down to 106 pounds," said Nakatani, who usually rides at around 117 pounds. "They said I got a bacteria from Mexico, but I'm not sure how I got it, because I haven't been to Mexico."

DJofSD
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
The commentary afterwards was interesting.... they said people at Del Mar booed Cigar, Bailey, Solis and Dare and Go.. must have been a fun day.

I was there too. At worse, there was some disappointment that was tangible but I don't recall there being outright boo's.

schweitz
08-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I was there also---out on the tarmac----no booing---mostly stunned silence and a couple of guys cheering who bet against Cigar.

maxwell
08-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Bailey said he would take the blame for that one; he shrugged and said, "I'm human".

I think it played on his mind in the BC at Woodbine. He didn't gun for the rail and was hung out five-wide on both turns and finished third by a neck. Cigar was full of fight in the last furlong but it was asking a lot of him.

Super horses don't come along too often these days so enjoy it when one does!