PDA

View Full Version : Report from Saratoga House -- Day 4

andicap
08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Day 4 and we're all in hock up to our broke asses.
Red and Buddha had to sell their cars and no one's eve seen Justin for two days. I think he's still sleeping -- or maybe at the bottom of the pool. Nobody knows and nobody cares.
We're all at each other's throats -- no one's sleeping at night at least not with the door unlocked and we're keeping our wallets under the mattress and a shotgun at our sides.
Bill W. brought some grain alcohol up here and everyone's been either throwing up or gone blind. The cops have been out here twice and Craig might get court-martialed after well, I'd rather not get into it.
We got into the Festival Tent on Monday and the carnage continued.
PA brought up a neat little new Sony Vaio laptop and Foul got so mad when he got nipped with a 70-1 longshot he threw the Vaio over the fence.
Silver Sow went to get a Carvel after the 1st race and hasn't been seen since but Bubbles didn't seem to mind. He was too busy talking everyone into betting his insane 20-1 shots. (OK, that very last part IS true.)

The sad truth is we're all having a great time. And the house is the best weve had in the four years we've been here. Everyone is just getting along fine and are into the mellow vibe
We've got a swimming pool (with diving board) where you can do laps. Nice on an 80 degree dark day like today and when you come back from the track all sweaty and tired.
A gas barbeque and a patio with a cool gazebo, two tables, a beautiful little yard -- and did I mention we were five blocks from the track and five blocks from town? I don't want to mention the price in case the homeowner is somehow reading this and wises up.
The TV has TiVo and the house has a wi-fi network that works out on the patio where I am typing this and the family renting it to us has generously allowed us to use his PC and printer as well as the laundry machines or anything else in the house. It also has a huge kitchen with modern appliances.
The house itself is a mid-1800 Victorian beauty on a nice quiet street.
Bill and Ron (who's not even staying here) brought up great Scotch ---and Red provided the Bailey's. Thanks again guys. The TV is on the Capitol OTB channel pretty much non stop except for SportsCenter.
Did I mention there was TV in every bedroom with cable?

None of us are into the late night high life really -- we go out to eat and maybe have a drink but we're not carousers or club-goers. Just seven guys who love to handicap, bet, and watch and talk races. Last night we hit the local Wal-Mart to get supplies and I spend the whole time gaping at how cheap the groceries were compared to my supermarket.

At the track, we got good tables on Saturday and Sunday on the lawn opposite the Carousel where we'll probably wind up again this weekend.
The weather has been picture perfect. 80-85 and no rain. But since Trijack couldn't make it this year we have no pix. I think Bubbles or Silver Sow was taking pix on Monday so maybe they can post some.

We hit the Tent for the first time yesterday and filled three tables. Great to meet RE Racing, Foul and his son John for the first time. All great guys even tho Foul and John are from Texas. :)
PA was here, as was Tom Brown, Silver Sow with a friend and Bubbles,(did he get even taller?) plus the house crew of Buddha, CJ, Red, Bill W. and Justin. CJ's dad comes up tomorrow and unfotunately CJ is leaving on Thursday so that's when we'll all stop cashing. Storm Cadet was here for the weekend but regretfully couldn't stay longer this year. Thanks, Ron, for helping with the cooler again this year. Good thing we're close enough to wheel it now that you're outta here.
Also had the pleasure of meeting the garroulous Mike at A+ and DrugS over the weekend -- and I won't ruin DrugS' rep by saying publicly what he's really like. (He's nice.)

And of course TLG dropped by to say hello at the table and we talked to a customer service exec from the DRF who was so nice we were relieved Tom Brown hadn't gotten here yet. ;)

And no, none of us are in hock. Justin hit a $33.80 horse on Sunday and the $136 exacta and of course CJ is CJ. Myself I have seconditis finishing 2nd yesterday at Delaware on 23-1 and 16-1 horses. In the 9th, I keyed the 3-6 around everything but didn't like the 2 on top so a 2-3-6 finish hurt. It's been like that, a lot of 1-3 exactas -- Saturday at the Spa was almost all chalk. Looking foward to a strong finish starting tomorrow but might put a little more juice into the place/exacta back-end for a while.

I'm now convince that NO ONE makes better turf figures than Craig (his dirt figs ain't bad either, but he really puts himself ahead of the competition on the weeds.)

Looking forward to seeing Zaf, Sam I am and Joe Prunes on the weekend and hope to see some other faces.

Anyway hope more people can join us next year when we'll make sure to get the Festival Tent for the weekend -- some early confusion and miscommunication cost us the tent this year but it was cool to be outside on two gorgeous days.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

SilverSow
08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey...

Great post, Andi! We had a blast yesterday - Bubbles only got a couple of pix but I'll try to pay more attention to the camera on Wednesday (since my guest - who gave me the front end of the $121 exacta in the 8th race yesterday to get me relatively well - unfortunately won't be there)...

Andi's right... a sense of mellow-ness has encompassed the gathering so far.. punctuated only by my son's cries of "Ride him like you stole him!" to the jockey of his latest bomb...

Can't wait to get back there tomorrow... and those 3 CSNY tix for Saturday night are still up for grabs!

Dave

keilan
08-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey Andy – great piece of writing. Have you ever considered giving up playing the horses and give writing a try? :p

Trijack
08-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Andy

Good report. Makes me feel even worse that I did not get to make it this year. On the good side I opened escrow on my last listing today.

Sounds like you have a big winner in the house you rented.

Looking forward to more of your reports.

Jack

Storm Cadet
08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Get the landlord to give you a contract for 2007!!!! :) :)

BillW
08-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Get the landlord to give you a contract for 2007!!!! :) :)

Already asked - he'll hold it for us (same week/price) if we request it. :ThmbUp:

Tom
08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
I was amazed - only 6 cops watching our group Monday! PA was the only one who thought to bring "Groucho Glasses!" :D

Great time, gald I stayed over a night - the house is really nice. 1 am in the morning, and CJ and Buddha are arguing over Australian early speed horses!
First think Monday morning, Red comes back from his morning walk with a keg of coffee! I still haven't slept from it.

Good two days for betting - with this bunch, you can't help but be in the "zone."
I suspect a conspircacy, though - Iwas too late to meet the DRF guy because they made me park on the Omaha training track. Literally, on the track. It occurred to me that I was closer to Finger Lakes than Saratoga while I was climbing over the dirt rails to get to the.....turf rails!
Good news, I blew out in :48.3!

The Little Guy came back and we had a nice chat, and he even talked me into a winning exacta box. Made my first visit to Sirio's - glad I did. Nice raw bar there, gave me enough nourishment to make it through Albany ruch hour on my way home.

Good Luck guys, I'm with ya in spirit the rest of the week. And agree on the turf CJ's - just got home from Finger Lakes - they work good on dirt, too!

And Bubbles - 96.3 "The Wall" rocks Ithica -

Bubbles
08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
YA KNOW...

When I bet chalk, CJ threatens to pund the snot out of me. When I DON'T, I get verbally assaulted by Andy. Geez... :bang:

It really is a great time. SS and I will be up Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, hope to see everyone up there!

kenwoodallpromos
08-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Sure sounds better than watching "Big Brother" with the wife!LOL!!

Storm Cadet
08-15-2006, 09:10 PM
For the guys that were there last year Travers Day...those 3 girls that hung by the tent with us emailed me today.

They are planning on going again and are looking for some handicapping help like last year. No Justin...only handicapping help :eek:

I might go back up there Travers weekend if I can find a place to stay, is anybody else going to be around?

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2006, 12:02 AM
I was wondering when someone was going to take the plunge and write a recap of events to date....thanks to Andicap for donating his journalistic talents towards that cause....

It was great fun saying hello to old friends while meeting new faces from the board. Make sure Andicap doesn't forget to hand out those souvenir decals!

==PA

PS. I stunk up the joint with my wagering, and like Andicap, made it a habit of finishing 2nd on monster long shot plays....

cj
08-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Andicap did come up with a nice winner at Mnr at $54.80 tonight. He is now a convert to the small tracks :)

Tom
08-16-2006, 03:42 PM
:jump: Andy!
Gotta love those small tracks.
I'll have you reserving rooms in the Lonesome Pines near Finger Lakes next year! :D

And, thanks to PA for the decals - very nice gesture, much appreciated.

JustRalph
08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
somebody take a picture of the decals............ and post it

Bubbles
08-17-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm the official tent photographer this year. I'll get at least one decal pic, among the other stuff I've got.

SilverSow
08-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi all...

What a great evening last night after the races. Someone (OK, his initials are SilverSow) hit the 9th race exacta on an afterthought bet for $184, CJ, Justin, & Dennis (my personal hero!) all had significantly larger hits than that, and I'm sure there was other stuff flying around that the more secretive among us weren't talking about. I'll try to upload the first batch of pictures today so Bubbles can post 'em.

Anyway, the guys were nice enough to invite Bubbles & I over for dinner after the races. I'll tell ya, anteing up a few bucks a person results in quite a meal when Buddha & Red Knave are doing the shopping. The Galloping Gourmet (Buddha) did some job on the grill, too.

Something else - you can't help but learn something just by sitting around the living room (or the pool!) listening to these guys talk racing. I'm not sure any of it will sink in, but BillW made great efforts to help me with my money management difficulties.

And Andy is one hell of a host at the track, too. We filled all 3 tables in the tent yesterday and I can't remember the cooler ever actually looking this clean so far into the week!

Too bad we're missing that Steeplechase/MSW double today - but can't wait to get back up there tomorrow & Saturday!

Dave

cj
08-17-2006, 09:35 AM
If the 5 wins the last race, I was taking the QE II back to Belgium.

It was great having you guys over, you have raised a fine young man there.

Valuist
08-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a great time. One of these years, I've got to head over there.

melman
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Not so sure you would want to attend Valuist. The Saratoga area Police Department already has there hands full with the posse that is there now. :jump: I understand they already shipped one guy back to Europe. :jump:

Tom
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
You guys wouldn't believe what a town Sartoga is at night.
I've been going since 1977 and never went downtown at night. The place is wide open - sidewalk dining every few feet, bars everywhere, and live music all over the place. I was walking past a blues bar, sat donw on a bench and just grooved for a while outside - neat.
Walking through the residential streets (lost) in the dark, you could hear music following you like an undercover cop, always there, never obvious.
We ate in this nice relaxed place - great burgers and the Bass Ale was perfect.
I have to confess -
I even had a bowl of WHITE chowder! :eek: (Suff - see this??? ;))
There were more clams in that bowl than in Fowler's Fish Market!

You will not regret going.

PaceAdvantage
08-18-2006, 01:37 AM
Some pix of the decal in action:

PaceAdvantage
08-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Another:

Maxspa
08-18-2006, 08:31 AM
All,
The decal is terrific but what about the handicapping prowess?? Who besides CJ has some winners. Now that John and Charlie are in town the competition will be fierce! Bill W. never says too much about his handicapping choices but I know he has some winners he's not telling us about.
Last but not least what about Andicap's PROGRESS? He's walked the walk with the seminars, private programming etc., are winning wagers finally the result? Most important can he top PA's winning total.
I miss the opportunity to interact with the group and along with Trijack both of us wish we were in Saratoga!
Maxspa

cj
08-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I am not even close to the only guy that won while I was there. My brother won more than I for sure while betting less. My father hit several P3s on Wednesday, his first day, that paid very nicely. Zafonic had two double digit winners at the Spa yesterday, and his friend hit the last race exacta for $20 and the trifecta for $5. Red Knave was also asked to provide a signature in the last race, but since he is from north of the border, no problem. BillW and Andicap had a big smile on their faces when the 3 hit the wire as well. Buddha managed to win most days, despite the fact he is the self-proclaimed "World's Worst Bettor"! The PaceAdvantage group without doubt had a positive ROI for the trip.

I'm looking forward to next year already. Anyone who wants to join, let us know. If you enjoy handicapping nearly 18 hours a day, you can't beat it. We go at it morning, noon, and night, and squeeze in a few after midnight as well.

There were some other things going on. A few went to Giants training camp one morning, three of us played golf on the dark day, and several cookouts at the house were great. We did the breakfast at the workouts on Thursday morning, and toured the backside with Storm Cadet. There was a nice pool, but we didn't use it much. Who had the time? Mostly, it is all about the capping.

Tom
08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
....arrive at the track ready for action!

BillW
08-18-2006, 10:14 AM
....arrive at the track ready for action!

But we found out they weren't hiring ... they already have tractors :eek:

BetHorses!
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
and his friend hit the last race exacta for $20 and the trifecta for $5.

His friend is one of my best friends since we were kids. He will have my numbers the rest of the weekend if anyone is interested. Hopefully, I didn't shoot my load yesterday. Sounds like a great time. Keep hitting em. :ThmbUp:

Zaf
08-18-2006, 10:54 AM
His friend is one of my best friends since we were kids. He will have my numbers the rest of the weekend if anyone is interested. Hopefully, I didn't shoot my load yesterday. Sounds like a great time. Keep hitting em. :ThmbUp:

Thanks E :) !

I'll get them from A !

D

Storm Cadet
08-18-2006, 10:54 AM
http://www.keeneland.com/liveracing/press_releases/detail.asp?PID=2041

BillW...let's get cracking on a fall Keeneland Championship weekend. Columbus Day weekend...full stakes card for 3 days! I heard that Pacefigures.com is sponsoring our trip there to check out the validity of CJ's figs on their new polytrack surface...all the loot CJ is now converting to Euro's and hiding in that secret Swiss bank account. :eek:

:jump: I need to make up for lost days at Saratoga this summer. :(

andicap
08-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Our house is full, but I'd be happy to advise anyone else that wants to get a group together for a house next year. We'll be going the same week -- pre-Travers.

About the handicapping -- all I can say is I'm giving up the daytim tracks to play Mountaineer full time. Besides my $54 horse earlier in the week, I had good night there Friday when a group of us went to the Saratoga harness simulcast. Those pools sure are small, tho.

Tomorrow we're back outside behind Carolina Barbeque by the Carousel. Gotta remember to bring the sunblock and bet early.

The weather has been perfect -- and we're hoping next year will be even better! :D :D

justin
08-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Bubbles is now the official degenerate of the group after hitting the $9.80 trifecta in the feature at 'Toga yesterday. A close second was Andicap who couldn't quite remember where he parked at the harness track tonight :lol:

Bubbles
08-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Bubbles is now the official degenerate of the group after hitting the $9.80 trifecta in the feature at 'Toga yesterday. A close second was Andicap who couldn't quite remember where he parked at the harness track tonight :lol:I thought we agreed that so long as I hit that $350 Pick 4, that was history! (which I did, albeit for just a buck)

Geez...I finally hit something, and now I'm a blankety-blank degenerate! :bang:

Red Knave
08-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Geez...I finally hit something, and now I'm a blankety-blank degenerate! :bang:Don't be upset Bubs, we meant it in a good way. ;)

Zaf
08-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Congats to Silver Sow , Bubbles & Justin on hitting that late Pick 4. PaceFigures rocks again. :jump:

Z

cj
08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Bubbles is now the official degenerate of the group after hitting the $9.80 trifecta in the feature at 'Toga yesterday. A close second was Andicap who couldn't quite remember where he parked at the harness track tonight :lol:

I owe him a flogging for that one! Stop betting chalk bubbles!

andicap
08-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Well the PA crew really rocked today. Justin did the Milkowski family proud with a signer pick-3 and I finally -- after a parade of near misses all week -- hit a huge exacta in the 6th race to climb out of a hole. 3rd off a layoff, speed in a paceless race, and good CJ back numbers and he's 44-1! And I've never had a $38 place price. Thanks to Justin for the help on the race -- my printout had lost the 10 and 11 horses in the 6th race and I asked him if those horses had a shot. He described the 11's qualities and for once things worked out.

Too bad we have to head home in the morning -- already counting the days until next year.

justin
08-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks to all the PA guys for a great trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone next year :) I'm not looking forward to going home in the morning at all :bang:

John
08-20-2006, 08:56 AM
All the guys were just one big happy family.

First Day.....We hit a p-3 that paid $95.00 Then CJ gave a good analysis why the 4/5 2 yr could lose and gave out the #3 9-1 $ 21.60 Charlie and I wheeled Cj's horse to the DD and got $245.00.

At dinner I told Charlie we won enough to cover expensive and stay another night

I wish all a safe trip home. :) :) :)

Bubbles
08-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I owe him a flogging for that one! Stop betting chalk bubbles!Hey, I figured the 5'd have a good chance to run second at 25-1, ergo, an OK triple with the even-money chalk on top! Just didn't work out is all.

BillW
08-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Another year done and another great time. While the PA attendance was down a bit we had some new people show up. Ron (Reracing) Jack (foul) and son to name a few. A big thanks to Andy for doing the work on the house and track reservations. A big shout out to Derby Trail for his characteristic great hospitality and a big thanks for saving us tables on the non-tent days (he didn't serve a bad Bar-be-que either :jump: ). To Bubs for filling the shoes of our missing west coast historian (and a bit of humor with the $9.80 tri :lol: ) To all the regulars (old and hopefully new), thanks for another great year :ThmbUp: . I'm already looking forward to next year to do it again.

Bill

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm really sorry I missed you guys up there. I was in on Thursday and Friday for the first time. Got there just as the jumps race was going off on thursday. Looked around a bit though couldn't quite figure out where the tent was. So many people! Guess I'm more used to Aqueduct in the winter. Wasn't really feeling all that well that day though, so ended up sitting in the shade behind the grandstand for much of the day. Felt much better friday and we went in early for the breakfast to watch the works. Was going to take the little tour as well, but since we had the oldest waitress in the world at the breakfast, we missed the last tram. Went across the street to see the HoF which I enjoyed very much. Did find the tent at this point, but no one seemed to be there yet. Passed by on the way back in and looked for a sign (I thought I had remembered someone saying there was one) but didn't see one. Perhaps I should have just walked in and announced my presence loudly :) Anyway, despite getting my ass handed to me at the Graveyard of Me, I had a pretty good time there. Went to Cooperstown on Saturday and did like it, but may have to commit sacrilege here and say I liked the horse racing version better. Anyway, maybe I'll find some of you at the BC this year (got my ticket confirmation a couple weeks ago) but definately now that I know the lay of the land I'll be up there (begging for tips...) next year

Maxspa
08-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Andicap,
I hope you will summarize the 2006 PA get-together! Since many of us could not be there and would enjoy your professional written version, please consider this serious request!
As many in attendance have done privately, there are those of us that want to thank you for all your work: Planning, organizing, and continuing a game plan that provides great pleasure to PA MEMBERS!
Maxspa

andicap
08-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Andicap,
I hope you will summarize the 2006 PA get-together! Since many of us could not be there and would enjoy your professional written version, please consider this serious request!
As many in attendance have done privately, there are those of us that want to thank you for all your work: Planning, organizing, and continuing a game plan that provides great pleasure to PA MEMBERS!
Maxspa

Well, Max, I think my first post pretty well summed things up. The rest of the week went along much like the first part -- the Moon was in the Seventh House; Peace guided the planets as Love steered the stars. :D

A new crew came in Thursday: Zaf and friends, Sam I Am, Joe Prunes.
John M. made it up early in the week with his buddy Charlie -- two great guys -- and we're pleased they came and hope to see them next year.
CJ's dad arrived on Wednesday and proved to be a crackerjack handicapper, just like the rest of his clan.
Reracing was a new arrival this year -- glad to see him.
We did miss Bobbyb this year: Where the heck were you Bobby? I needed another liberal this year. :)

A group of us hit the Saratoga harness Friday night for some t-bred simulcast. CJ's dad Dennis slaughtered them at Del Mar; Zaf hit a nice one there as well and I continued my (temporary?) reign as Crown Prince of the Nighttime Tracks by hitting three of five exactas at Mountaineer, and another winner at Emerald when we returned to the house. ("You ARE a degenerate," Justin said.)

CJ of course is the King of All Tracks, although I did seem to do better when I went against his advice against sending it in on certain horses. :p

Saturday was the only day it rained but we had a great table behind Carolina Barbarque -- (thanks you know who) -- and it didn't rain all that hard or all day. We now know Red and Bill are in reality the wicked warlocks of the East and West because they refused to come out until it stopped raining.
:)

Other tidbits and musings:

-- CJ got the shock of his life when he discovered the $12 beer bill at Siro's. It ain't the PX, that's for sure.

-- The sandwiches at Pepper's deli on Lake Ave. weren't bad, but the bread was stale. Better to stick with the hot food with the deli near Phila and Court.

-- The steak at Doc's still can't be beat.

-- Sadly the downtown newsstand -- with all its racing mags and papers -- is gone, replaced by a gift store. Border's across the street killed the stand, but is certainly not the same.

BTW, you can not find a racing form in Saratoga in the off-season outside of the harness track. I know, I was there in February.
Moreover, there is a bar downtown that shows the races via TVG but almost no one watches them, I was told.
On the flip side, there is an informal local group that conducts an outstanding Pub Crawl every year in February.
I also found out -- d'uh -- that most of the seasonal workers at the Spa in August are teachers.

Maxspa
08-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Andicap,
No one could have done it better!! Those of us who couldn't attend, really appreciate the dialogue and comraderie that the PA yearly function fosters! Lots of positive vibes and a bit of Handicapper Heaven as well!
Thanks for taking the time to share those experiences with us!
Looking forward to attending next year's PA Party!
Maxspa

BillW
08-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Max,

We really missed you this year. Next year you'll just have to explain to your family that all those birthdays, christenings etc just have to be postponed till you get back from the PA trip. :lol:

BTW hope the grandbaby is doing well. :ThmbUp:

Bill

Maxspa
08-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Bill,
We need to convince Trijack to save some of that Real Estate money and sponsor a Siro's beer bash next year! At $12.00 a bottle only HE could afford the privilege!
Maxspa

cj
08-27-2006, 12:33 AM
-- CJ got the shock of his life when he discovered the $12 beer bill at Siro's. It ain't the PX, that's for sure.

Luckily I was hanging out with the little guy, so there was no bill! :D

Trijack
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Max

Sof far I have never been inside of Siro's. Am i missing anything?

Jack

Zaf
08-27-2006, 07:14 PM
The beers are much cheaper in the A.M. :p

Z

Tom
08-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Great raw bar - lasted me all the way to Schenectedy! :cool:

Maxspa
08-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Trijack,
On opening day I parked in Siro's parking area($15.00) and listened to Harvey Pack- Dave Litvin, Steve Crist seminar for incites. After a day at the track I went to drive home and had to wait about a half an hour before traffic subsided enough so I could get out of the Siro's parking spot. However, the wait was not totally without pleasure as I witnessed MANY well dressed, beautiful ladies enter the establishment.
The problem is being able to have a Trijack bankroll to pay for food and libation after you get inside.
Seriously speaking, It's an expensive experience that should be included at least once in a winning handicapper's lifetime.
Maxspa

andicap
08-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Luckily I was hanging out with the little guy, so there was no bill! :D

Speaking of TLG, I haven't seen the following story on the board yet. If it was posted elsewhere I apologize.

CJ returns from a night out with TLG and party and explains why he was a little bit late. Seems Andy, who was driving CJ to our house, couldn't find it. That was a head-scratcher considering TLG grew up in Saratoga and spends five weeks every summer there.
But the real kicker came when it turned out Andy had grown up across the street from our house!
His lame excuse: Chez TLG faced the street one block east of ours and so had a different name.
:lol:

Tom
08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

cj
08-27-2006, 11:12 PM
We also haven't heard the story about the guy in the house that lost the mouse. And no, it was not a wireless mouse, it was a USB version.

Tom
08-28-2006, 12:16 AM
About an hour before post time on Monday, I heard that guy called several names, none of which were Andy! :lol:

andicap
08-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Yeah, well, I thought it was a wireless mouse. Who pays attention to that stuff? I use a wireless at home so I was used to it.

Besides what no one has mentioned (have they?) is me showing up on the first day at the front gate WITH NO CASH. I had just driven up from New York and thought I had about $15 left in my wallet - was going to bet that day from my cell phone and get cash that night.
So I had to call PA to lend me some money to get into the damn track.
:blush:

cj
09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, well, I thought it was a wireless mouse. Who pays attention to that stuff? I use a wireless at home so I was used to it.

Besides what no one has mentioned (have they?) is me showing up on the first day at the front gate WITH NO CASH. I had just driven up from New York and thought I had about $15 left in my wallet - was going to bet that day from my cell phone and get cash that night.
So I had to call PA to lend me some money to get into the damn track.
:blush:

We didn't mention it because we were trying to save you at least a little dignity. At least you didn't just try to climb the fence. ;)

Maxspa
09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Cj,
Tell us it was the John Steinback book title, not the real deal!
Maxspa

Suff
09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Well its over. They just ran the 10th at Saratoga. Bummer. Life sucks for another 10 and half months.

The worlds a better place when horses are running in oval shapes at Saratoga.
Decent meet. It just might be the last of Saratoga as we knew it.

With the franchise up for renewal.....we might see an entirely new business model. Meaning... no more

Cheap entry
Free picnic tables
20 dollar private table
bring your own booze and food
Heckle the Jockeys as they walk back through the crowd..( that's my specialty...:) )

other shit that can't be explained unless you been. A truly sweet sweet place is Saratoga NY.

John
09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah Suff,

Saratoga the August place to be.

It's so magical in its own way

I was there this past Thursday and hung out at the Paddock. Race people were coming by and shaking hands with other race people in a farewell gesture.

What makes it so great is You can not get enough of it in 6 weeks that you thirst for it to come back next year.

I say to all horse players you have not lived if you have not been to the Spa at least once.

:) :) :)

Zaf
09-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Agree Suff & John,

Always feels like a sucky day every year at this time.

Z

John
09-04-2006, 08:28 PM
You know Suff, Zaff and his Canadian buddys are great guys to hang out with.

I swear if they ever have the draft again. I will go to Canada and hang out with ZAff.

:) :) :)

Zaf
09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey John,

You guys from Boston are pretty cool also. Great to see you and Charlie again, and it was really nice to meet your friend David ! You guys are all class acts !

Z

cj's dad
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
A big thanks to Andy for all his planning and work that is appreciated so much!!

The house was great, the folks there were all good guys and the days at the track were as good as it gets. Had fun at the harness track on Friday ( winning a few $$ never hurts ) and for me getting to spend time with my sons is the best part. Looking forward to next year; till then, all take care and may you never lose by a nose. :)

Zaf
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Dennis,

Great seeing you again this year ! I see where your boys get their handicapping prowess !!! Looking forward to next year !

Z

cj's dad
09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I have to admit that Craig ( cj to you all ) was going to the track before me; unfortunately it was when he was supposed to be in school. However, as I think you can all attest, it certainly worked out for the best. I remember the first time I went was on New Years day 1983 to Laurel Park. Was sitting in a bar about noon ( wife working a 12 hr. shift at the hospital) when some friends mentioned going to LP. I was intent on watching college football. One of the guys said that I could sit at the bar and watch f'ball at LP; what a deal!! So, off I go and the first race I ever bet, I went to the window and bet $5 across on the longest shot in the field. You have to know that it won;collected nearly $300. I have yet to spit out the hook I swallowed that day. Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it. One last thought; both Craig and Justin are better cappers than I could hope to be !!:)

Red Knave
09-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I have yet to spit out the hook I swallowed that day.I love that. ... both Craig and Justin are better cappers than I could hope to be !!:)They are also world class degenerates that stay up late betting on horses at Yavapai and Evangeline. No wonder you're so proud! ;) :ThmbUp: :cool:

the little guy
09-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually, once I cleared my clouded mind ( you try my schedule up there ) and figured out that CJ didn't say George Street, and actually said Talford, I realized exactly where you guys were staying ( yes...opposite my parent's garage ). Luckily, George seems numbered oddly, or I would have embarrassed myself at somebody's house on that street. George, by the way, is parallel to Talford and only a few blocks over.

As far as getting the Form in the off-season.....you can get it at many places besides the Harness Track such as Five Points and Grampys. But, frankly, who doesn't download pps?

andicap
09-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Actually, once I cleared my clouded mind ( you try my schedule up there ) and figured out that CJ didn't say George Street, and actually said Talford, I realized exactly where you guys were staying ( yes...opposite my parent's garage ). Luckily, George seems numbered oddly, or I would have embarrassed myself at somebody's house on that street. George, by the way, is parallel to Talford and only a few blocks over.

As far as getting the Form in the off-season.....you can get it at many places besides the Harness Track such as Five Points and Grampys. But, frankly, who doesn't download pps?

Yes, we were quite worried about CJ and when he got home he got a stern lecture about not calling when he was going to be late. :D

In Feb, I was in Saratoga for the afternoon while my wife was on a job
interview (she didn't get it -- rats!), and I printed out the CJs, etc., but figured I could get a DRF in town so I didn't have to print out all those PPs.
I could have gone to the simulcast but I only had a couple of hours and her interview was downtown and I like bars better than OTBs.

Didn't check those places. Andy, and if it ever happens again, I'll be ready.

Thanks!