PDA

View Full Version : Trainer blameless in drug positive

Ron
08-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Trainer blameless in drug positive
By DAVID GRENING

City Avenger, a 2-year-old colt who finished third as a first-time starter in the second race at Belmont Park on June 25, tested positive for the banned substance fluphenazine, and was ordered unplaced in the order of finish.

No action was taken, however, against the colt's trainer, Tim Salzman.

According to the New York stewards, veterinary records proved that the fluphenazine, a tranquilizer used to calm a horse, was administered within the legal time frame. In New York, it is recommended to take a horse off fluphenazine a minimum of seven days before the horse is to race. Dr. Ted Hill, a former veterinarian and the current Jockey Club steward, said fluphenazine is known to linger in a horse's system, but that it is less likely to affect a horse's performance beyond seven days from being administered.

kenwoodallpromos
08-12-2006, 01:07 PM
For good news!

ryesteve
08-12-2006, 01:26 PM
If the drug was administered according to the rules, does the dq stand? Sounds like it does... but I don't see why, if they did nothing wrong...

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM
dq shoud stand, as the horse still tested positive for a banned substance, correct? This time however, the trainer was able to sufficiently prove that he wasn't to blame.....

Dave
08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
what's to stop him from legally using it 8 days prior w/the paperwork filled out, then again on the sly on race day w/no paperwork?
then he could blame it on the recorded use.

Show Me the Wire
08-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Dave:

Would show more than a trace amount.

CryingForTheHorses
08-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Dave:

Would show more than a trace amount.

Something I have always wondered..When they put your horse in the stall to pee..A guy goes in there to make them pee..They close both doors..What would stop this guy from doing something or putting in the pee cup IF he had a vendetta against the trainer or any of his help...There are NO cameras watching the guy who is making you horse pee..There are ALL kinds of wackos everywhere.

Show Me the Wire
08-14-2006, 01:18 PM
McSchell_Racing:

Valid point.

takeout
08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Something I have always wondered..When they put your horse in the stall to pee..A guy goes in there to make them pee..They close both doors..What would stop this guy from doing something or putting in the pee cup IF he had a vendetta against the trainer or any of his help...There are NO cameras watching the guy who is making you horse pee..There are ALL kinds of wackos everywhere.
That’s what A Huevo’s connections claimed happened to them at Charles Town in ‘99. From the Dick Jerardi article, “Just another winner the Dickinson way”:

[snip]
After the race, Hopkins got his trophy and was awaiting his $75,000 check. He's still got the trophy. He's still waiting for the check.

"I called five days after the race expecting to get my big check," Hopkins said. "They said, 'There is a problem. We've got to talk to the stewards.' "

The horse's urine had tested positive for clenbuterol.

"The urine came back a very strong positive," Hopkins said. "The blood came back clean." A hair analysis was also done. That revealed no clenbuterol.

"The only conclusion can be that he didn't race with clenbuterol and it entered the urine after the race," Hopkins said. "If he ran on it, it would be in the blood. It's got to be both. So, it got into the urine after the race. And there is only one explanation for that."

Dickinson values his reputation more than his accomplishments. He fought the positive test hard. After months of legal wrangling, Dickinson got no suspension. Hopkins got no money.

"The resolution of it was I got swindled and Michael got his name back," Hopkins said. "I think everybody at Charles Town, including the kangaroo court of those stewards, knew what happened."
[snip]

CryingForTheHorses
08-19-2006, 05:15 PM
That’s what A Huevo’s connections claimed happened to them at Charles Town in ‘99. From the Dick Jerardi article, “Just another winner the Dickinson way”:

[snip]
After the race, Hopkins got his trophy and was awaiting his $75,000 check. He's still got the trophy. He's still waiting for the check.

"I called five days after the race expecting to get my big check," Hopkins said. "They said, 'There is a problem. We've got to talk to the stewards.' "

The horse's urine had tested positive for clenbuterol.

"The urine came back a very strong positive," Hopkins said. "The blood came back clean." A hair analysis was also done. That revealed no clenbuterol.

"The only conclusion can be that he didn't race with clenbuterol and it entered the urine after the race," Hopkins said. "If he ran on it, it would be in the blood. It's got to be both. So, it got into the urine after the race. And there is only one explanation for that."

Dickinson values his reputation more than his accomplishments. He fought the positive test hard. After months of legal wrangling, Dickinson got no suspension. Hopkins got no money.

"The resolution of it was I got swindled and Michael got his name back," Hopkins said. "I think everybody at Charles Town, including the kangaroo court of those stewards, knew what happened."
[snip]

All the guy would have to do is have it on his fingers...put his finger in the horses mouth and wamo..Its in the bloodstream..With the horse just racing the drug will get into him fast..They have a very small window that you may peer thu in some testbarns..I have noseprints on them as I never take my eyes off my horse when I am in the test barn..Either Lisa or I handle the horse and keep watch.The guys who are in these test barn,You dont know what they do elsewhere..Its better to be safe then sorry..