PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the Fog - TVG

pjbc77
08-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I was watching TVG last night and they mentioned that they had some news about Lost in the Fog, but then I had to make dinner, etc. and missed it. Did anyone catch this? Haven't seen anything online about it yet. I was guessing that the news is he's going to be retired.

kenwoodallpromos
08-12-2006, 12:59 PM
"Gilchrist said Lost in the Fog had some physical issues in the days leading up to the Smile Sprint.

"I would like to say that it wasn't his day, but he was not right the whole week down there," Gilchrist said. "We did all we could to get him into the race. We certainly wouldn't have run him if we thought we were going to have that outcome. He didn't have any major problems, it was just some little things, but when you totaled them all up, I think it was too much for him to overcome on that day."
Gilchrist and Aleo cheated the bettors, the horse, and racing. They knew the horse was tooo crippled up to run his best and probably7 compromised his chances of coming out of the race healthy. I will never bet asnother Gilchrist horse.
If anyone wants to jumpson me for not waiting until Gilchrist is "convicted" of something go right ahead, this is his confession.
I hope The Little Guy, Andy Beyer, and any of you who do not like illegal drugging speak up on LITF being run muich less than 100%. The outcome is the same- forcing a horse to run or continue running during the race when not up to it.

Cesario!
08-12-2006, 08:46 PM
How many excuses do we have to see before they realize that this horse was simply a fast maturing three-year old sprinter who peaked last August?

Great story last year, but early blooming isn't enough to constitute success once everyone has had to chance to grow.

ghostyapper
08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Its amazing how we never hear this from trainers before the race. They are always doing "fantastic" leading up to the race.

pjbc77
08-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Well, Pletcher was pretty realistic about Flower Alley needing a race before the Whitney, and the public still bet him down to 3/2 and made him the favorite. But certain trainers always seem to have an excuse after the race, Barclay Tagg and Frankel have always annoyed me that way.

Thanks to Kenwood for answering my question, TVG certainly made it seem like it was going to be bigger news when they're were trying to convince people to stay tuned...

oddswizard
08-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I have known Greg Gilchrist for over 25 years. Greg & Jerry Hollendorfer are the two best Northern California trainers. Greg has the highest % of winners over the years. He is a very honest man. Like many trainers, he has to deal with the owners. When trainers want to pass a race due to horse problems sometimes they are overulled by the owner. It is difficult to deal with wealthy owners at times. I believe Lost In The Fog will be retired shortly due to foot problems. Looking back on last year-WOW-what a run!

kenwoodallpromos
08-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I have known Greg Gilchrist for over 25 years. Greg & Jerry Hollendorfer are the two best Northern California trainers. Greg has the highest % of winners over the years. He is a very honest man. Like many trainers, he has to deal with the owners. When trainers want to pass a race due to horse problems sometimes they are overulled by the owner. It is difficult to deal with wealthy owners at times. I believe Lost In The Fog will be retired shortly due to foot problems. Looking back on last year-WOW-what a run!
_________
I normally have no reason to speak negative about either Gilchrist or Hollendorfer- this quote just struck me as suprisingly negative-
"He didn't have any major problems, it was just some little things, but when you totaled them all up, I think it was too much for him to overcome on that day."
Adccording to Ca racing rules, a horse has to be in to "win" and the condition guaranteed by the trainer (by "condition" it means no drug violations, not healthy). It sure sounded from the article that Gilchrist knew the horse had no chance of winning. And it is my speculation about the seriousness of the physical problems since he was not specific.
Sometimes it is the one how speaks out that takes a chance on getting criticized, not all the other (trainers) who shut up and do not speak publicly. Like Mullins with the line about betters betting without knowing what is going on on the backside. Side by side what those two trainers said was even more interesting!
There are a few brave trainers and jockeys who speak up about bad tracks that I aplaud.
I'm sure it happens with many trainers that the morning of a race the horse comes up with a minor problem an nothing is said. The difference as I see it is it was a week-long situation.
I would suggest a rule change for horses in this position, there the horse can be expected not to win but may run decent, to be a non-betting entry and run for the purse only, but that may cause big PR problems with bettors. It would enable "rabbits" and upstarts thrown into a big race on a wing and a prayer to be part of a more honest race.

classhandicapper
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
It's starting to look more and more like he was an early developing 3YO. There's nothing wrong with that. A lot of horse mature quickly and others move forward later in their 3YO and early 4YO campaign. You can't always tell which it's going to be. IMO, he was a very good sprinter. He didn't run that badly in last years BC given the ground loss, pace, and closer advantage that day. He came back OK this year, moved forward 2nd time out, and probably was not 100% in his last. It seems to me that those that love him probably overrate him and those that hate him because he only beat 3YOs last year are underrating him. I hope they straighten him out and run a few more times because I want to see him run.

OTM Al
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I still don't see his last as a bad race as no one was winning from outside posts that day. I would still like to see this guy take a shot on the turf, but maybe the trainer knows something there that he's not saying

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Adccording to Ca racing rules, a horse has to be in to "win" and the condition guaranteed by the trainer (by "condition" it means no drug violations, not healthy).

If this were actually true, I believe they would have to go back and DQ Giacomo from any purse money he may have earned up to, but not including, the Kentucky Derby.....