PDA

View Full Version : Track announcer considers himself 'lucky man'

Ron
08-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Track announcer considers himself 'lucky man'
http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=188468
Updated: 8/11/2006 8:52 AM

By: Curtis Schick

For over 15 years, track announcer Tom Durkin's voice has echoed through the Saratoga sound system.

In an interview Durkin said, "I am on the finish line at Saratoga. There is not a day that I don't realize that I am I lucky man."

Durkin sits high above the track, with a bird’s eye view of all that goes on. But, it wasn't always this glamorous. The Chicago native started calling races in Wisconsin from the back of a pickup truck in the 70's.

He said, "Little half mile tracks with horses that probably might not have been 100% horse."

It wasn't a straight shot from the hay bails to the big leagues. Durkin has worked all over the U.S, making stops in Florida, Kentucky, and New Jersey. Now, he is not only the voice of NYRA, but he also calls the Breeders Cup races for NBC.

Durkin said that he memorizes names and matches jockey silk colors to the horses. This helps keep him on top of the races.

He said, "If you just describe them how they are being contested they are exciting events themselves."

Durkin owns a home in Saratoga but says he really isn't into the nighttime scene. He comes to work each day on a Vespa and spends winters in Italy. But, calling the race remains his love.

He said, "There are not a day that goes by that I don't appreciate the job that I have."

pressman
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
just too bad hes terrible tiresome and boring

jballscalls
08-11-2006, 10:29 AM
just too bad hes terrible tiresome and boring

Is there anyone better?? i sure dont think so.

Overlay
08-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Nothing against Tom Durkin, but Trevor Denman is my personal favorite. (I think there have been whole previous threads on the subject of track announcers.)

andicap
08-11-2006, 10:06 PM
There is no one better than Tom Durkin calling races today -- no one (except maybe Denman) can see what's really happening and tell you so.He gives you the complete picture and is accurate as hell.

bigmack
08-11-2006, 10:16 PM
There is no one better than Tom Durkin calling races today -- no one (except maybe Denman) can see what's really happening and tell you so.He gives you the complete picture and is accurate as hell.
Nothing from TD but Denman doesn't miss a thing.

It's such a concise call with items of import brought forth with little to no fluff

In a non-eventful fashion Trevor makes the top of the heap.

JustRalph
08-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Nothing from TD but Denman doesn't miss a thing.

It's such a concise call with items of import brought forth with little to no fluff

In a non-eventful fashion Trevor makes the top of the heap.

Are you saying "they would have to sprout wings to catch " Denman?

samyn on the green
08-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Durkin is a gentleman and a scholar. His calls are clear, concise and complete. Consider myself lucky to hear his calls on a daily basis. He is the best American caller in the game today.

sq764
08-11-2006, 11:58 PM
He's small(er) time, but I LOVE the guy from Sam Houston - Michael Chamberlain..
I wish he would get a break with the big tracks..

JustRalph
08-12-2006, 12:00 AM
He's small(er) time, but I LOVE the guy from Sam Houston - Michael Chamberlain..
I wish he would get a break with the big tracks..

I agree with this one. It is a great track to visit too..........

Zaf
08-12-2006, 12:02 AM
I agree also, Chamberlain is a great caller !

Z

sq764
08-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I agree with this one. It is a great track to visit too..........
Let me preface by saying I don't follow Delmar or Toga that much... With that being said, my three favorite t-bred announcers:

1) Chamberlain
2) Larry Colmus (sp??)
3) Vic Stauffer

And to go old school, how about Larry Lederman at Garden State??

bigmack
08-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Let me preface by saying I don't follow Delmar or Toga that much... With that being said, my three favorite t-bred announcers:

1) Chamberlain
2) Larry Colmus (sp??)
3) Vic Stauffer
And to go old school, how about Larry Lederman at Garden State??
The nuance of insight is clearly in Trevors corn.
Accent/timbre are a bit objectionable but the outline of the race is by far best disclosed in his call over others

pressman
08-12-2006, 12:41 AM
im sorry disagree hes awful no consistentct or flow to his call lederman and keith jones much better i evened like marshall casssiday in his day

sq764
08-12-2006, 01:35 AM
The nuance of insight is clearly in Trevors corn.
Accent/timbre are a bit objectionable but the outline of the race is by far best disclosed in his call over others
IMHO, he has too many 'planned' comments during the race.

I will say I am a little biased against the foreign callers.. I just don't like them (Denman, the guy from Mountaineer, the guy from Lonestar)...

toetoe
08-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Can I get some love for Mr. Craig "Don't Call Me Chuck" Ingram, please?

A thread on announcers ALWAYS gets replies. I think it's great. :ThmbUp:

P.S. Don't forget Miramahdi(sp.?), who did some fairs this year in Ca.

turfbar
08-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I predict Dooley from AP as next superstar.

T

shanta
08-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I enjoy Peter Berry's calls at Mountaineer. He's good :)

Richie

ghostyapper
08-12-2006, 08:31 PM
The amazing thing about durkin is the way he is able to recover from unexpected events in the big races. He did a superb job in the last 2 preakness's, when barbaro was injured and afleet alex almost fell.

One thing denman and durkin are both superb at are spotting live horses when they are not close to the lead yet

NY BRED
08-13-2006, 12:19 AM
how quickly they forget john imbriale,marshall cassidy and
larry colmus

:lol: :bang:

santanajimi
08-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Marhall Cassidy??????
I guess those were the days of drugging and drinking for you ?
Easily obe of the worst all time.

racingrev
08-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Totally agree Toetoe about Frank Mirahmadi. Racecalling can be difficult at the best of times but to describe the action as someone else and remain on the beat is outstanding.

This is a great story..

http://www.eurekareporter.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleID=13805

ghostyapper
08-13-2006, 09:44 AM
how quickly they forget john imbriale,marshall cassidy and
larry colmus

:lol: :bang:

Whatever happened to john imbriale? He used to cover for durkin in the winter and host the handicapping and race replay shows. Now he's nowhere to be found.

NY BRED
08-13-2006, 08:57 PM
guys, i was just kidding,although i was also tempted to add dave johnson

inmho durkin, despite the theatrics, rules though i would put vic staufer
and terevor close seconds.

As for Imbriale,after a tearful farewell on fox about a year ago, he has called at least 25 races during the winter when durkin exited for vacation.

bigmack
08-13-2006, 09:08 PM
No special order amongst the four then it's a big drop to the others:

Durkin - Stauffer - Dooley - Denman

Kruytbosch

then the rest...

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Marhall Cassidy??????
I guess those were the days of drugging and drinking for you ?
Easily obe of the worst all time.

Are you kidding? Who is drugging and drinking now? One of the worst of all time? Not even close.....

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Whatever happened to john imbriale? He used to cover for durkin in the winter and host the handicapping and race replay shows. Now he's nowhere to be found.

Retired

samyn on the green
08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_4173767

TitanSooner
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Luke Kruytbosch

santanajimi
08-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Are you kidding? Who is drugging and drinking now? One of the worst of all time? Not even close.....

Not even close? That guy was the most mono tone track announcer in the history of the game. HE GAINS the lead....what the heck was that.
I will stand by what i said, ONE OF THE WORST!
Just for the record, i dont drink..... ;)

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2006, 01:59 AM
MC is old school. Short and to the point was more the style before the "newer breed" like Durkin and Denman set the current standards with their colorful descriptions. Judging Cassidy by comparing him to current callers is a bit of a disservice if you ask me.

ryesteve
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
I was always a Marshall fan too... always precise and accurate, and he never injected his own ego into the call (I don't even think he had one). Too many racecallers nowadays think the race is about THEM rather than the horses.

bigmack
08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
I always liked MC as well. Hadn't realized he was only 44 when they brought in Durkin - Anyone know if he still works within NYRA?

Marshall Cassidy, the race caller on the New York circuit since 1979, will be replaced by Tom Durkin, who calls harness races and backs up Dave Johnson as the thoroughbred caller at the Meadowlands. The change will take place on Aug. 29 when racing resumes at Belmont after the Saratoga meeting. Cassidy, 44 years old, will continue to work for the New York Racing Association as a steward or a placing judge

ponyplayerdotca
08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
The thing Trevor Denman (California) and Peter Berry (Mountaineer) do well IMO is give you a thorough overall call of every race at each interval, charged with frenetic energy that a 2-minute horse race should make you, the viewer, feel.

Right from the pop of the latch to the crossing under the wire, you can feel them emoting some passion into the call of the race, whether it's big time stakes or a low-rung claimer. They give you two minutes befitting the old phrase, "the most exciting 2-minutes in sports" (cliche for the Kentucky Derby). For the average fan, a little enthusiasm in every race call goes a long way.

If I have any criticism for the "gentleman caller" Durkin (who I respect tremendously for his hall of fame career), it's that I find he "gives up" on his emotional investment in the race (either around the bend or down the stretch) once the all-too-often favorite hits the front to win as it should. I'll call it "taking his foot of the pedal" if you will. Although some prefer a quieter style, I find Durkin's laid-back calls uninspiring, and leave fans wanting more. He offers too little in the way of excitement to those listening.

(I temper this comment by saying it usually occurs in the low-end claimers or MSW races. He usually puts on a full call for the stakes races.)

Denman or Berry rarely do that. And if they do, their pace up until that point is usually sufficient enough to forgive their anti-climatic ending.

Just my two cents on what I enjoy - everyone's different. :ThmbUp:

bigmack
08-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Berry had a bad habit of all calling close finishes "it's a dead heat"
It was called to his attn and he hasn't done it since.

He seems like a nice enough fellow it's too bad that an Australian accent has about as much charm and finesse as one from Beantown - none

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I always liked MC as well. Hadn't realized he was only 44 when they brought in Durkin - Anyone know if he still works within NYRA?

Funny you should ask. MC is a patrol judge during the Saratoga meet, and briefly filled in for Durkin this past Sunday (he gave out the race changes at 12:30 because Durkin was interviewing Mary Ryan). It was actually pretty nostalgic to hear his voice over the PA (no pun intended) system once again....:lol:

bigmack
08-15-2006, 11:48 PM
As a working stiff of yesteryear ther'd be a variety of situations with chums who were all horse players and the code if one was in a meeting or whatever would be "Marshall's Calling" which would alert us to the real business at hand as advertising was our ancillary interest amongst many

Good to hear he's still around the game and wish him all the best

Peter Berry
08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Berry had a bad habit of all calling close finishes "it's a dead heat"
It was called to his attn and he hasn't done it since.
He seems like a nice enough fellow it's too bad that an Australian accent has about as much charm and finesse as one from Beantown - none

Not to make a big deal out of this but, for the record, I have called a dead heat only twice in more than two and a half years of working at Mountaineer Park, once followed by "too close to call," the other by "can't pick it."

At no point was it called to my attention and, even if it had been, it would have made no difference. If I believe it's a dead heat, I'll call it.

As for the Australian accent lacking charm and finesse, you are preaching to the converted.

The Hawk
08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Not to make a big deal out of this but, for the record, I have called a dead heat only twice in more than two and a half years of working at Mountaineer Park, once followed by "too close to call," the other by "can't pick it."

At no point was it called to my attention and, even if it had been, it would have made no difference. If I believe it's a dead heat, I'll call it.

As for the Australian accent lacking charm and finesse, you are preaching to the converted.

That'll teach you to talk about people behind their backs, in front of their faces. Good for you Peter!

I agree wholeheartedly with PA and the others about Marshall and today's announcers. I guess some people enjoy today's "colorful" interjections but I for one do not. Marshall's general lack of grandstanding made it all the more compelling when he "stepped out of character", so to speak, on those rare occasions such as Easy Goer's Belmont. The excitement in his voice was never contrived, so you never felt like you were being sold something, which is not the case with some of these so-called "top" announcers today.

bigmack
08-21-2006, 09:51 PM
We'll agree to disagree on the Australian thing - I was told by the Racing Sec that it was brought up to you and we'll agree to disagree that it was twice in over 2 years.

Peter Berry
08-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Sorry, I will not agree with mistruths.

bigmack
08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Then I guess we'll agree to disagree on making it a big deal

Any thoughts on the take down of Nicole?

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
We'll agree to disagree on the Australian thing - I was told by the Racing Sec that it was brought up to you and we'll agree to disagree that it was twice in over 2 years.

Whoa, whoa whoa! bigmack, I think Mr. Berry was AGREEING with you on the Australian thing....lol He said you're preaching to the converted on that one! :lol:

So now that you two have some common ground, hug it out.....

Peter Berry
08-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Agreed. No big deal at all.

As for Nicole's Dream, I'd love to see her in the Oakleigh Plate at Caulfield.

bigmack
08-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Agreed. No big deal at all.

As for Nicole's Dream, I'd love to see her in the Oakleigh Plate at Caulfield.
Hap to hear it Peter and glad to see you here. I was jaded by an Aussie girl of yesteryear and still have a "wild hair" about the sorted tale.

Quite the scuttle that Nicole didn't cause much there?

JustRalph
08-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Welcome Peter! God I love this board, sometimes............... :lol:

JustRalph
08-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Now Peter, you know this obligates you to say hello to your buddies at

"www.paceadvantage.com" right before some seriously important race, right?

We are going to have to coordinate this with Travis from LA Downs and get it done on the same day.........now that would be cool.........!

Somebody call Tom Durkin and find out if he has a damn computer!!!!

PaceAdvantage
08-22-2006, 01:51 AM
I know Durkin has a computer, because years and years ago I had a discussion with him about Holy Bull on the old Prodigy bulletin board (or was it GEnie.....it's all a fog now....CompuServe??? Ah hell, one of those ancient BBS's)

JimG
08-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the board Peter! I think you go a really good job at Mountaineer. I much prefer you to the prior announcer there as he always failed to call the place and show horses at the finish line.

Jim

JimG
08-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Somebody call Tom Durkin and find out if he has a damn computer!!!!

Ralph,

I do not know about Durkin but Vic Stauffer and Larry Collmus certainly do as they post on another horse racing board quite often (especially Vic). Hopefully, they will make their way to PA as well.

Jim

Snag
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Travis needs to learn to pronounce some of those Cajun jocks names though.....Patin comes to mind.

TravisVOX
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Snag... how do you say it?

I'm a lone duck in the booth. Everyone I could ask for pronunciation input is new here too... Jessica is from Texas, Mark is from Kentucky. No other reliable sources. I'm stuck with Google and it gets tricky. Although a few of the trainers have complimented me in picking up on a few names thus far, so it could be worse!

Zaf
08-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Welcome Peter,

Really love the job you are doing at the Mountain !!

Z

cj
08-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Peter,

Any chance we can get you to end your calls with "in front" and not tell us who runs 2, 3 or 4?

PaceAdvantage
08-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Peter,

Any chance we can get you to end your calls with "in front" and not tell us who runs 2, 3 or 4?

Hah! Another MC dig....jeez, the guy hasn't been a full time announcer in ages...let it go already!

bigmack
08-22-2006, 09:17 PM
This from early Aug05 from DRF:

Marshall Cassidy, who retired in 1990 after 18 years as NYRA's track announcer, began working as a placing judge on Saturday.Cassidy, a resident of Saratoga Springs, also will serve as a back-up announcer for Tom Durkin whenever necessary.

Since his retirement, Cassidy has announced on a few occasions, including a seven-day stint at Turf Paradise in Arizona and one race at Belmont Park in June when a group of former NYRA announcers returned there to call races.

ryesteve
08-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Hah! Another MC dig....jeez, the guy hasn't been a full time announcer in ages...let it go already!
I say, why glamourize the horse staggering home 4th? The racecaller shouldn't be tailoring his call to the guy at the simulcast desperately clutching a superfecta ticket :D

I'm going to end up digging through my basement trying to find some of my old tapes of the Harvey Pack show, just to hear some of Marshall's calls again...

bigmack
08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Just dawned on me that after all those years of listening to him that I never knew what he looks like. Anyone have a pic to share?

Snag
08-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Snag... how do you say it?

I'm a lone duck in the booth. Everyone I could ask for pronunciation input is new here too... Jessica is from Texas, Mark is from Kentucky. No other reliable sources. I'm stuck with Google and it gets tricky. Although a few of the trainers have complimented me in picking up on a few names thus far, so it could be worse!

Travis, typing it is hard. I'll try. Pa tan but it should run together. It's Cajun. I'm sure you have already picked up on the "Herbert" problem.....lol.

I'm planning on being at the Super Derby. I'll look you up. By the way, you are doing a great job. Keep it up.

TravisVOX
08-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Herbet is "Say-Bear" with the S. I learned that one on day one.

ryesteve
08-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Just dawned on me that after all those years of listening to him that I never knew what he looks like. Anyone have a pic to share?
Picture a young Edward R Murrow...