PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Saturday (9/7)

rrbauer
09-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Del Mar Saturday September 7, 2002
Fast & Firm? (Took a race off the turf yesterday)
Turf Rails moved in yesterday.

Eddie D. still off his mounts and Kent D. in NY to ride Skipping.
(This is before scratch time.)

R1
Kerrygold runs well fresh and only needs to run a good one. Gentle Giant might get first jump on the speed from the inside draw with Smith and Cat Flight is a Carava claim. I believe this distance will be too much for Indiahoma’s pedigree. (Flat mile perfect for that one.)

R2
Miss Continental bounced last time and may need more rest. Don’t read too much into Victor staying on. The horses to beat are on the bottom. World of Fun will challenge ‘Continental for the lead and it sets up for a presser: Lucky Spirit or Mistress Page.

R3
Some reputation types in here but I’m going to go with Vienna’s firster, Ordained Magic, with the nice 6f work. Vienna and Stevens have some history.

R4
Tough one. I don’t like Top Hit or Rio Oro!

R5
This is Motto’s race to lose. But, Motto is good at running 2nd, so my other “top” pick is Lookn East. Two price horses in here could outrun their odds: Waingarth and Green Jaro.

R6
Love the works on Bold Trick since raced. Big reputation horse is Savonarola for Harty. His babies usually improve 2nd start. Dirty Trick gets off the rail and adds blinks (bad start last time) and Our Bobby V. is working very nicely for Spawr (not big with firsters so pay attention to Mr. Tote Board).

R7
Silver Magic likes to win races and has come around for Sadler. Shezasummerbreeze should get a dream trip and is still improving. Cinnful Bride should get the inside trip with Summerwood pressing along side. Respectful has been pitched too high and this is an easier bunch.

R8
Rock Opera likes to lead and is bred to run all day. Johar will get the trip and might get first run at ‘Opera. Inesperado will be flying late. Dell Place moved forward nicely in his first try here and could improve some more.

R9
Brigade and Subpoena win races. Woking, Captian Bell and Waki American all have talent but lack the winning spirit.

R10
It’s easy to like Miss Hennessy and Lolo Creek in this bunch. Don’t overlook Shezsofoxy that has been in training for some time (scratched going to the gate Jan 24 at SA) and has some nice works that aren’t on the form. Ward (Tahitian Rain) does well with firsters. I would prefer to see Lafitt up.

That’s it. Not sure about my schedule between now and Wednesday.

Go Baby Go!

rrbauer
09-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Race 1 is OFF the turf.
Both #1 and #1A have scratched.
The dirt should be OK for Gentle Giant.

rrbauer
09-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Del Mar Saturday September 7, 2002
Damage!

R1
Kerrygold runs well fresh and only needs to run a good one. Gentle Giant might get first jump on the speed from the inside draw with Smith and Cat Flight is a Carava claim. I believe this distance will be too much for Indiahoma’s pedigree. (Flat mile perfect for that one.) Result When it came off the turf and both halves of the entry scratched and the other possible speed, Mistakenly Special, scratched, and Gentle Giant was 5/2 (when I bet) and Indiahoma is 9/5 favorite, I’m a happy guy. After ‘Giant wired them, I’m a really happy guy! $6.80 for the win.

R2
Miss Continental bounced last time and may need more rest. Don’t read too much into Victor staying on. The horses to beat are on the bottom. World of Fun will challenge ‘Continental for the lead and it sets up for a presser: Lucky Spirit or Mistress Page. Result World Of Fun scratched. That changed the pace scenario that I perceived. And, ‘Continental was warmed up vigorously by Victor. She popped and never looked back. The outside two both pressed early, but ‘Page dropped out before the 3/8th and ‘Spirit was going nowhere. Grade Nine saved ground early and came with a late run but was a neck short. Craven Cottage got 3rd. Looks like the inside is the place to be today. Dutch win bets lost on ‘Page ($8) and ‘Spirit ($12).

R3
Some reputation types in here but I’m going to go with Vienna’s firster, Ordained Magic, with the nice 6f work. Vienna and Stevens have some history. Result The inside speed Rmisvesta and Leniently made the lead. ‘Magic (10-1) was 5th after the break. The 4/5 fav Composure tracked outside and made a looping move on the turn to get to the leaders and cleared in upper stretch. Leniently tired at the 1/8th. ‘Vesta held for 2nd and Virginia Miss ran an even 3rd. ‘Magic made a little run into the turn but never threatened the top ones. Lost $10 win bet on ‘Magic. (Mr. Tote Board didn’t endorse any of the firsters.)

R4
Tough one. I don’t like Top Hit or Rio Oro! Result The teletimer said 20:3, 43:4 as Avanzado and Rio Oro ding-donged to the stretch. ‘zado prevailed by about ¾ length. Top Hit was a late-running 3rd. Final time was 1:09 and something. No blood.

R5
This is Motto’s race to lose. But, Motto is good at running 2nd, so my other “top” pick is Lookn East. Two price horses in here could outrun their odds: Waingarth and Green Jaro. Result Lookn East took them coast to coast. No problemo! Waingarth tracked in the 3-path and got 3rd. Bring Home Thegold rallied to get 2nd. Motto (1-1) was 4th. (He loves to lose!) Got $102 back for the $15 win bet but the exactas to my longshots didn’t quite work out ($12 total).

R6
Love the works on Bold Trick since raced. Big reputation horse is Savonarola for Harty. His babies usually improve 2nd start. Dirty Trick gets off the rail and adds blinks (bad start last time) and Our Bobby V. is working very nicely for Spawr (not big with firsters so pay attention to Mr. Tote Board). Result Bold Trick scratched. ‘Bobby opened at 1-1…must’ve been “clocker steam”, because Spawr doesn’t say much about his runners. Dirty Trick and Savonarola showed the way. ‘Trick won that battle, but Nakatani lost his whip at the head of the lane and when crunch time showed up in the form of Domestic Dispute, all Corey could to was scrub on ‘Trick and settle for 2nd. Island Cry touched ‘rola out of 3rd. Our Bobby V is steam not substance! Lost the $10 win on ‘Trick, dropped whip and all! BTW…I know a guy who automatically bets Baffert horses in any race that Harty has a horse(s) running in. He’s smiling tonight!

R7
Silver Magic likes to win races and has come around for Sadler. Shezasummerbreeze should get a dream trip and is still improving. Cinnful Bride should get the inside trip with Summerwood pressing along side. Respectful has been pitched too high and this is an easier bunch. Result Cinnful popped inside and ‘breeze popped outside. Summerwood in the middle. ‘wood dropped out at the turn and ‘breeze kept after ‘Bride to get the lead mid-stretch. Respectful saved ground on the backside and rallied in the middle to get 2nd. Chastity Belle rallied late to touch ‘Bride out of 3rd. Started a P4 with ‘Breeze and ‘Magic (dropped back and never threatened).

R8
Rock Opera likes to lead and is bred to run all day. Johar will get the trip and might get first run at ‘Opera. Inesperado will be flying late. Dell Place moved forward nicely in his first try here and could improve some more. Result Mr. Mellon? Can’t believe this one got some much action. Anyway, ‘Opera took them to mid-stretch (Lafitt took no prisoners!) and Inesperado got first run and caught him to draw out with Johar up for 2nd late. Trevor announced a record (time) for the race. I took 8-1 on ‘Opera for $20. Minus $20! P4 is alive.

R9
Brigade and Subpoena win races. Woking, Captian Bell and Waki American all have talent but lack the winning spirit. Result At the 1/16th pole with Captian Bell and Brigade ding-donging I thought that I was home free (P4). Not to be. Huge rush by a wall of horses Hero's Welcome gets the win and I’m an also-ran! And, so is my P4.

R10
It’s easy to like Miss Hennessy and Lolo Creek in this bunch. Don’t overlook Shezsofoxy that has been in training for some time (scratched going to the gate Jan 24 at SA) and has some nice works that aren’t on the form. Ward (Tahitian Rain) does well with firsters. I would prefer to see Lafitt up. Result ‘Creek and ‘Hennessy went from the outside. Shezsofoxy tracked up the rail just behind the lead pack. ‘foxy slipped thru on the rail into the lane and was all out to get the lead and the win. My $20 win bet came back $250 and change and according to Trevor the P6 carried over to the tune of $524k. I used this one in my P4 so I’m not happy about the R9 miss!

keilan
09-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Richard -- as usual another good piece of handicapping, nice call in the 9th - shezsofoxy.