PDA

View Full Version : Ohio -- Ney

highnote
08-09-2006, 02:26 AM
So what's going on in Ohio? Ney took lavish gifts from Abramoff and stepped down, yet his replacement may not be eligible. Sec of State Blackwell may decide if the replacement is eligible. That should be kind of like Susan Harris declaring the Florida vote count valid. :D

One official said the complication with the eligibility for Ney's replacement arose "because the law as written differs from what the lawmakers intended".

What? What the hell are the lawmakers getting paid for? They can't write what they mean? Sounds to me like the law was written as intended but it doesn't suit their present needs.

Gov. Taft pleads "no contest" to taking gifts. Isn't that like saying "guilty"?

I remember pleading "no contest" to a traffic ticket. The fine was the same as if I said guilty. "No contest" felt a lot better, but I was still guilty as sin.

I expect more from Governors.

I'd like to move back to Ohio someday from Connecticut. At least the politics will be just as interesting.

JustRalph
08-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Ohio lawmakers are famous for writing laws that no one can interpret and then having to go back and revise or revoke provisions due to the law of unintended consequences. You ought to try being a police officer in Ohio. Trying to figure out what to charge someone with is like interpreting the bible. Everybody has their own opine. Including the judges and the prosecutors. Not to mention some dip shit Lieutenant that always wants to stick his nose in your case.

Our Concealed carry law is the latest piece of crap to come out of the legislature.

Ney was a fool............

highnote
08-09-2006, 03:20 AM
You ought to try being a police officer in Ohio.

No thanks. I don't know how you did it (do it?).

I have been on the wrong side of a gun a couple of times when I was young and foolish (funny stories) and I wouldn't want that threat hanging over me every time I go to work.

I commend you.

bigmack
08-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Taft pleads "no contest" to taking gifts. Isn't that like saying "guilty"?
For failing to report 52 golf outings, dinners and other entertainment gifts?

It's not exactly "Chicago-Like" corruption.

Sad fact is that he's probably still a mere bogey golfer.

highnote
08-09-2006, 03:30 AM

I agree. Not too bad as far as corruption goes. However, a "no contest" plea? I guess he is saying he's technically guilty, but not really terribly guilty.

If he didn't keep track of the 52 outings, then who did? Where do they get this information?

JustRalph
08-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I agree. Not too bad as far as corruption goes. However, a "no contest" plea? I guess he is saying he's technically guilty, but not really terribly guilty.

If he didn't keep track of the 52 outings, then who did? Where do they get this information?

The dipshit who paid the way for the outings claimed them as donations to the Taft Campaign........or something stupid like that. Personally I think Taft got screwed on the deal. I think he is a crappy governor and always has been, but he paid somebody to keep track of this stuff and they didn't do it. He played golf for free........so what? You don't think the Governor can't walk onto any golf course in the state and not get something for free? I am sure he didn't pay for any drinks either. We got a few eyes on this board who have connections in state government here in Ohio. If one of them would like to chime in........maybe they can clarify.

The real reason they went after Taft was the guy who paid for the golf outings was in the early stages of a scandal wherein his company (investments) was handed 12million by the works comp board to invest for the state. He put the money in rare coins. The fund actually made money, but his company got some serious fee's and charges that became public. After all was said and done.......the State ended up losing 22million from all investments related to this dude. It turns out when they started digging into his shit, they found he had given tons of illegal money to Taft, Bush and a host of others. Some went thru the employees of his companies etc. He is charged with about a million charges and still facing trial. Taft plead no contest to get the story out of the news. Or at least get his name off the front page. They won't let it die though. Everytime this guys face is on TV we have to hear about the golf outtings etc.........

Nolo Contendre (no contest)
Latin for "I will not defend it." A statement in a criminal trial where the defendant declines to refute the evidence presented but agrees to the charges presented in the complaint. It cannot be used as an admission in other proceedings.

Tom
08-09-2006, 10:39 AM

...or a caddy! :p

highnote
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
He is charged with about a million charges and still facing trial.

Since he contributed to W's Ohio victory, maybe W will pardon him?

ljb
08-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Since he contributed to W's Ohio victory, maybe W will pardon him?
His name will have to be added to the bottom of the list. :lol: