PDA

View Full Version : Book about horse slaughter

cj
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
This guy has done some handicapping books as well...

After the Finish Line (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931993602/ref=pd_sxp_f/102-3262015-4952109?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

Murph
08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
It is already apparent that owners will make money from their horses in one way or another, no matter the breed or the quality of their performance in any arena.

Why do you feel this is worth our attention, CJ?

Murph

cj
08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Every other book in history that contains the word horse has been linked here. I shouldn't link this one?

kenwoodallpromos
08-08-2006, 06:45 PM
I like Heller's books and writing style.
The book is not brand new, I think recent, but it is timely.
I have not heard much of an owner's thinking when making the decision to send a racer to slaughter.
I am curious what the % of geldings is compared to others.

Murph
08-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Every other book in history that contains the word horse has been linked here. I shouldn't link this one?

There is NO reason NOT to link to this book. Yet the question remains ...
Why do you feel this is worth our attention?

Murph

cj
08-08-2006, 06:47 PM
It received some good reviews, and it is a pretty serious issue in the US right now.

Murph
08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I was hoping to engage you with an interesting debate. If your reason for posting the link was because the book recieved good reviews .. umm ...
Thanks!

Murph

cj
08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
LOL, sorry. To be honest, I don't think horse slaughter is that big of a deal. There are a whole bunch bigger problems I'd rather see our government tackle. Just my opinion...

PaceAdvantage
08-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Ummm....I'll say it.....

"Thanks for the link CJ!"

There...that wasn't so hard, was it?

Murph
08-09-2006, 05:50 AM
LOL, sorry. To be honest, I don't think horse slaughter is that big of a deal. There are a whole bunch bigger problems I'd rather see our government tackle. Just my opinion... This was basicly my point CJ.
I did thank you for the link in my last post, though this one will go to the bottom of my reading list. :)

Murph

Tom
08-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I though some of the proceeds were going to the thoroughbred fondation to find homes for them after racing?

Not a topic I would enjoy reading about, but a topic that needs to be exposed. More of a social issue book than racing - like Upton Sinclair.

WJ47
08-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks, CJ! I'm going to order this book. I've owned 2 horses that were rescued from slaughter, one of them a pregnant mare! The first rescue was a big grey gelding named Tonka that ended up being a much loved pet for many years. Tonka lived a long and happy life. It horrifies me to think that someone may have ate him! The mare, Bee, had a beautiful foal named Blaze. Blaze is now 15 years old! :( I am greatly bothered by the horse slaughter in this country. I consider a horse to be like a dog or cat, a domesticated animal, and a pet! The horses have as much personality as my dogs do.

Tom
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine bought a retired racer - Darling Mont - back in the 70's.
He kept her on his property in the country. He was a groom for the trainer, so he knew the horse.
She went from a really high strung, nervous animal to a puppy dog over a few months time. Really nice thing to see, She would run to the gate when he drove home at night, waiting for him, like a pet dog.

fastCow
08-22-2006, 12:01 AM
to not care about what happens to the horses implies that you think they just exist so you can bet on them.

such a sorry excuse for a human being...

kenwoodallpromos
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Here is an idea of the numbers- the number from thoroughbred racing is claimed to be about 5-600 per year. The largest numbers by breed are standardbred by far, and others to a much lesser degree.
This site claims taxes and profit is the main reasons for the equine slaughter rates to fluctuate.
Maybe CJ is aware of the decrease in slaughter over the last 15 years.
http://equineprotectionnetwork.com/saveamericashorses/stats.htm

cj
08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
I never said I don't care about the horses. I just don't think it should be a big priority in our US government right now, that is all. More for off topics, so I'll leave it at that.