PDA

View Full Version : TVG -- Best and Worst Hosts?

andicap
08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Judging by the talk on this board I wonder if there will be any "best" candidates. :)

Incomplete list because there are shows I don't watch that often.

Worst is easy for me: Matt Carruthers stands out for me as the most overbearing obnoxious personality on the network -- worst than Todd Schrupp (who I don't mind that much although I realize I'm in the minority here.)
His humorless patter (although he thinks he's Dennis Miller reincarnated), and non-stop delivery -- I know that's the show's format, fast and furious, but in his hands it's just annoying -- is the most grating thing on TVG.
As far as his handicapping I had never been impressed, but he did hit 5 of 6 on ths pick 6 yesterday (I think) and a pick 4.
Honorable mention are the women on that beginners show at night. (Can't recall the name.) I think the idea is a great one but they're not knowledgable enough to pull it off.
Christina Olivares is nice to look at but her voice is so shrill, it's a tough listen.

Best -- I like Simon Bray even though he's not a great handicapper. But he does bring a former horseman's point of view to the show and he's an astute watcher of races and horseflesh. Plus, I'm always a sucker for a British/Irish/Scottish/Aussie accent.
Bob Baedaker and Chris Kotulak do a competant job as well and Ken Rudolph brings the right type of somewhat serious, somewhat playful personality to a network that has a tough mission: cater to grizzled veterans like us and get newbies interested enough to open up a TVG account.

xfile
08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Worst: Matt Carruthers - :58 flat is like throwing a hyper-active child a coke and a snikers bar. I've had to listen to this guy's dribble for 5 years now. It's older than Teaberry gum on the bottom of my dead great-uncle Joe's Florshiem shoes from 1960's World's Fair.

Best: Iggy Puglisi is entertaining, Simon Bray and Frank Lyons are easy on the ears as well.

Easy on the Eyes: My own category ;) - Christina Olivares :cool: :faint:

:cool:

JimG
08-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Best Host: Bob Baedeker...he actually knows a little about horse racing. An old school guy who is not overly showy.

Worst Host: Priscilla Hojiwala...after however many years she has been on TVG I am still not convinced she knows a horses head from a horses........

Best Analyst: Pretty thin pickings but I'll go with Frank Lyons on humor value alone.

Worst Analyst: Iggy Puglisi. He's gotta be better as a jockey. He just must be.

JustRalph
08-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Best all around broadcaster: Gary Seibel

Tom
08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Igggy, the Sarge, Jill Bryne, Frank (bearable)
The rest - yuch!
Top spot - the snappy tunes Monday and Tuesday nights. Or is that HRTV?

All Ican say overall about TVG is good thing they only have one channel of competition - overall, thier product is extremely weak and ill presented.
The ONLY thing I like better than You Bet is the size of the picture. If YouBet could get an inch or so bigger, and offer picture adjustment for its generally lousy and dark video, I would drop my satelitte dish.

But I do agree - Matt is by far the most obnoxious, loud mouthed, unfocused, self centered SOB on TV - including non-horse racing. He is the kind of loud mouth I would leave an open bar to avoid.
He offers nothing and is not as good as a black out for interest.
I put him below wetting my pants as things I enjoy. :lol:

Valuist
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
The 58 flat show is clearly based on the CNBC show with Jim Cramer. Not sure what its called but I stumbled on it and it was clear immediately that's what TVG patterned the show after.

Best host: Seibel and Priscilla. Neither make selections.
Best reporter: Jill Byrne. Not even close. She probably is a better handicapper than most of their analysts.
Best analyst: Caruthers. At least he is a racing guy who's on TV. There's quite a few TVG folks who are TV people who happen to be on a racing channel. If "The Bachelor" came by and wanted a host, most would leave in an instant but I don't think Caruthers would. Bob Baedeker is good. At least he isn't an "in your face" type who brags after every winner he selects.
Worst host: Bill Seward. Its actually uncomfortable watching him host.
Worst analyst: Todd Shrupp. Thinks that we're watching because of him.

TVG did something the other day that I didn't think they were capable of doing. Saratoga had cancelled and Del Mar hadn't started yet so you had TWO whole tracks running (Arlington and Ellis). And they managed to have to put two Arlington races on tape delay.....not because of a time conflict w/Ellis....just because of the yapping.

blind squirrel
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
VALUIST SAID:The 58 flat show is clearly based on the CNBC show with Jim Cramer. Not sure what its called but I stumbled on it and it was clear immediately that's what TVG patterned the show after.

"MAD MONEY"....JIM CRAMER CNBC....that was my first impression.
unfortunately it's a lot easier for CRAMER to tell people
to buy GOOGLE than for MATT TO PICK A 9-1 at CALDER.
CRAMER use to be a big horseplayer,i've heard him make many
references to racing.

WORST HANDICAPPER:TODD,if he keeps making picks like he has
at DMR he's going to need to make a CASH CALL{at 40% interest!}

Vegas711
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Worst: Frank Lyons..............He is soooo dry and Borrrrrrrrrrriiinng.

Tolerable: Former Jockeys.

Best: Waiting for some Hot 22year old Blonde.

46zilzal
08-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I recently made a tape of 6 hours of TVG and sent it to a friend who is an announcer on HPI (Woodbine) showing his staff what NOT TO DO. I watched it when I was at my dad's funeral and it is "talking for the sake of talking" assuredly not to inform.

The show 58 flat just steriotypes what is the worst of "call in" handicappers. I had to cringe watching the host walking around holding the DRF as a prop.

Hosshead
08-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Anybody see Tim Conway on TVG the other day?
He was sitting on the far right,... until one of the regular hosts (don't watch it enough to know who) came back, and told Tim that he had his seat.
So Tim abruptly got up and left.
I would much rather have seen Tim, than the guy who kicked him off !

MartyZee
08-04-2006, 08:02 PM
The Best- Gary Seibel // The Worst- Dead heat Todd/Iggy/Ken

The Hawk
08-04-2006, 10:38 PM
TVG did something the other day that I didn't think they were capable of doing. Saratoga had cancelled and Del Mar hadn't started yet so you had TWO whole tracks running (Arlington and Ellis). And they managed to have to put two Arlington races on tape delay.....not because of a time conflict w/Ellis....just because of the yapping.

This is the kind of thing that keeps TVG from becoming a good network. I understand we're spoiled, that 10 years ago we'd have killed for this kind of coverage, but now that it's here this nonsense that they're going to educate people is just that. The egos of these guys are ruining the coverage.

lsbets
08-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I like Ken Rudolph. Jill Byrne knows what she's talking about and I would be happy as hell if my wife looked that good at her age.

Caruthers is an idiot. The Mad Money schtick doesn't work when you don't have the personality for it. Whenever I see Shrup I think of that road to the roses promo with him dancing with a rose in his mouth, so he's a moron in my book.

Honestly I usually don't have the volume on, just the picture. It's much better that way.

steel6061
08-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Completely disagree about Matt Carrothers. I think he is great. He knows his stuff, and he is not boring. Sure he can go overboard sometimes but to me he is a true horseplayer. He loves to play the races, he appreciates the sport, and has personality. The Hojiwawa girl to me is awful

JustRalph
08-05-2006, 02:03 AM
The Hojiwawa girl to me is awful

gotta Agree with that............

anodizeman
08-05-2006, 06:08 AM
You may think of Matt Curuthers as borish or a joke if you wish but he is fantastic handicapper. He had five of the six in the pick six the other day and last year hit two of them 6/6 in less than a month apart. On top of that he has many pic 4's to his credit very decent ones at that. Between my pics and his combined together we have both made quite a bit of money. He may not have the personality you like but as a handicapper he deserves upmost respect.
Thanks for your time.

Tim
New York

fiveouttasix
08-05-2006, 07:49 AM
At least Schrupp, Lyons, Joyce & Carrothers give me a chuckle every now and then while I am waiting for my race. I don't use any of these guys for picks. I think I would rather watch paint dry then listen to Mr. B.

xfile
08-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Carrothers/Curuthers? spelled lots of ways in this thread. Anyway, there is one thing for sure - he sux. :58 flat is the worst show in the industry.

GARY Z
08-05-2006, 11:19 AM
funny, none of you guys mentioned the iceman aka
gary stevens, one of the classiest jockeys ever to
ride on both sides of the world.

i find his insight to be quite intelligent,and he towers over
the so called co hosts .

a close second is jill byrne
who really knows the game.

:lol: while no one seems to like the antics of matt, he certainly delivers
more value handicapping than the boring bob or obnxious frank
or insane todd.

i'll stay quiet for now on ken giacomo,or whatever is his last nam

BIG49010
08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
1. Jill is the best, that's it, the rest is just blah, blah, blah..........

2. Frank can be o.k. if he's not hung over.

3. Music on day's no host.

xfile
08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Ken's pick of Giacomo was nothing more than pure luck. He'll never do that again.

JustRalph
08-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Seibel did a nice job on the Hambletonian on CBS today. I can live without Caton Bredar............

JimG
08-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Seibel did a nice job on the Hambletonian on CBS today. I can live without Caton Bredar............

Seibel is definitely in his element with harness racing. He did a good job. I agree regarding Caton...can't help but think that she thinks she is smarter than everyone. Has a smug look about her. I never cared much for her when she was on TVG.

Jim

PS. Forgot about Jill Byrne. She is definitely one of the best on TVG.

ceejay
08-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Matt C: Annoying but a good handicapper. Jim Cramer ripoff show is the worst.
Gary S: Very good
Todd: I hate him and his plays. The ALL key means you haven't a clue and shouldn't bet. He's also just Obnoxious!
Frank: OK, but he went out of his way to be nice to me at the DRF expo 2004 so I like him.
Ken: Talented TV man but not much of a 'capper.
Jill: Excellent!

BlueShoe
08-05-2006, 07:13 PM
My top pick is the veteran Bob Baedeker.Worst choice-all of the female hosts with the notable exception of Jill Byrne,whom I find to be informed,not overbearing,and attractive.Rather like Matty,in spite of the fact that he often comes across as a smart-ass.Usually try to catch his Blinkers Off show.

garyoz
08-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Best: Easy Pick Christina Olivares

DrugSalvastore
08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
HRTV's Jon White and Jeff Siegel are both clearly better than anything on TVG.

Kurt Hoover is actually better than anything at TVG.

Randy Moss, Jerry Bailey, and Jay Privman are all each better than anything on TVG.

The guy living in the apartment below mine is much better than anything on TVG.

I like Simon Bray....I think mainly because he would talk with me back when he trained. He does an ok job though. Iggy doesn't do a bad job---Frank Lyons is ok---Gary Sibell (sp?) is pretty good at the broadcasting end of it anyway. Ken Ruduloph has some talent I think...it's just not the kind of talent that works on horse racing shows. Vic Stauffer is painful to look at and annoying---but hey, he has an opinion and I guess his precense saves some people from having to buy the Thoro-Graph sheets..as his whole analysis is based around them. Rich Pearlof and Les Onauka (the quarter horse commontator) aren't bad.

Everyone I haven't mentioned (Gary Stevens included) are all just awful.

DeoVolente
08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Todd Schrupp a good interviewer!

nomadpat
08-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Worst Host: Bill Seward, annoying voice, doesn't know squat about racing and tries to be funny.
Best Host: Ken Rudolph, not because of horse knowledge, but keeps the show going smoothly and is good in front of the camera

Worst Analyst: Mr. B, who never met a chalk horse he didn't like and talks in monotone.
Best Analyst: For knowledge, Les Onaka of the quarters. For the Tbreds, I like Matt C (not afraid to go out on a limb and has interesting reasons for his picks), Vic Stouffer always has entertaining opinions.

WJ47
08-10-2006, 04:04 AM
My favorites are Frank Lyons and Bob Baedeker. I think that Matt Carrothers is a very good handicapper. He seems to do very good with turf picks, I think he knows the bloodlines really well.

I don't like any of the handicappers as far as their picks. Ken Rudolph is more likely to get struck by lightning than pick another $100 horse. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great host, very funny to watch and personable. I always get a chuckle when he says, "Close your eyes, there is a naked horse on the screen!" But I don't think he's into handicapping too much.

ranchwest
08-11-2006, 02:18 AM
I like Matt because you can always count on him to say, "I like this 9/1 shot." And, he's often got interesting reasons. Everyone else is always on the 4/5. My dog can pick a 4/5 and he's better looking than most of the announcers.

Les Onaka is great on the QH's.

I also like Chris Katoulak.

Siebel and Lyons are pretty good as is Vic Stauffer.

A very good one is on HRTV, Ms. Jones. She's been on maternity leave, but she's very entertaining.

The worst? Well, the absolute worst is no longer on, Mr. Lucky. Man, was he ever obnoxious!

I hate to quote "Ahnold", but Iggy and Simon are girly men. They need a new job.

I saw Todd pick a winner in '02. He's bad.

Priscilla is obnoxious and clueless.

Gary Stevens is so stuck on himself that he makes me want to, well, you know.

ranchwest
08-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Anybody see Tim Conway on TVG the other day?
He was sitting on the far right,... until one of the regular hosts (don't watch it enough to know who) came back, and told Tim that he had his seat.
So Tim abruptly got up and left.
I would much rather have seen Tim, than the guy who kicked him off !

I once saw Tim Conway call a race at Louisiana Downs. That was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Even the crustiest of race track veterans (at Delta Downs, they're pretty crusty down there) were rolling on the floor. I recall one of his lines was "One horse is on the lead and one horse trails the field." Probably one of those things you had to have been there. lol

Tom
08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Listening to Priscilla the other day, it occurred to me she has a voice meant for newspapers. :rolleyes:

Wickel
08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Gary Seibel is he best overall announcer and host: polished, knowledgable, consistent. Priscilla Hojiwala is a decent host and great to look at, but lacking in the knowledge department. Ken Rudolph is a joke. He's never serious, and in recent weeks, has tried to impress with his horse saavy--which is straight out of Ainslie.

Simon Bray, Frank Lyons and Les Onaka are the best handicappers hands down, especially Les and his work ethic. All three go beyond the racing form with valuable insight into the human factor of racing.
Honorable mention goes to Rich Perloff (Perlov?) who is an excellent handicapper; Caton Bredar, who was also a good host (none of the women on the network come close); and Bob Baedaker, who's solid.

Todd Shrupp and Matt Carothers are egotistical and verbose; Rudolph's a clown; Jill Byrne caters to the horsemen and loves chalk; and Dave Weaver doesn't know anything about anything--but he's entertaining.

samyn on the green
04-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Hats off to Frank Lyons at TVG. He picked 7 out of 10 winners on top at KEE today. Not talking about some chalkfest either. Several of the winner were boxcars. He even nailed the $57 horse on top on the nightcap. One of the sharpest displays of capping to be showcased in the media.

46zilzal
04-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Greg Unger at HPI tv: Knowlegeable, informative, enterntaining mix of trivia and news, up to date, always willing to add color to the commentary, good clear voice, interactive with the audience. Elissa Bowe and Ms. Kierens are good too.

Hajck Hillstrom
04-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Interesting reprisal of this thread. Frank Lyon's handicapping at Keeneland today was exceptional. His $108 Pik6 ticket had 5 winners on a day that no one managed to take it down. Probably the best day of any TVG handicapper as of late. A few weeks ago Simon Bray hit a few Pik4's and a Pik6 on air, and a tip of the cap to him as well for the feat.

The handicapper that is completely dismissed by the network is Rich Perloff. His Monday show is far and away the best day of the week to watch, albeit the track menu is somewhat limited. He brings more to the table than most of the analysts, and is probably the one guy on the network I would want to spend a day at the track with handicapping horses. :cool:

BigJake
04-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I love Frank and Matt both. I've seen them both do remarkable things. Les Onaka is by far the best handicapper. He is probably the only one I would follow with doing my own research. It seems like he hits every race.

andicap
04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Interesting reprisal of this thread. Frank Lyon's handicapping at Keeneland today was exceptional. His $108 Pik6 ticket had 5 winners on a day that no one managed to take it down. Probably the best day of any TVG handicapper as of late. A few weeks ago Simon Bray hit a few Pik4's and a Pik6 on air, and a tip of the cap to him as well for the feat.

The handicapper that is completely dismissed by the network is Rich Perloff. His Monday show is far and away the best day of the week to watch, albeit the track menu is somewhat limited. He brings more to the table than most of the analysts, and is probably the one guy on the network I would want to spend a day at the track with handicapping horses. :cool:

You would not be in any way related or know Doug Hillstrom from the old Prodigy board?

sjmeola
04-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Less Talk More Races...

Thats what we need from Tvg

Ita sad for me to say but Jessica York was the best thing to ever happen to Tvg..

Dindnt know a darn thing about racing and didnt have too..

She sure was good to look at ! ;)

She is now with Gameshow net work so I now have to change channels to get my eye candy..

I noticed they take a lot less emails from the fans.
only one I admire a little is rich perloff