PDA

View Full Version : Cole Hamels

sq764
08-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I think Cole is starting to 'get it'..

Last 2 games pitched 14 innings, 8 hits, 4 runs, 4 Walks, 19 K's

Looked awesome tonight against the Cards, 7IP, 2H, 1R, 12 Ks

Amazingly, Phillies about to move within 3 games of the Wild Card lead..

Bathless
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't know how they're doing it. They're 53-56 now, after Saturday's loss. As much as I like the wild card situation in MLB this year, some very mediocre teams are still alive. The Phils got back into it on the backs of Utley and Howard, and some good pitching, at times.

I went to the Blue Claws (Phils Class 'A' team) stadium this morning to exchange some rain checks for future games. I noticed lots of cars in the lot and then I heard the unmistakeable 'ping' of an aluminum bat from inside the park. They were letting a local 'over 30' league use the field, so I sat and watched about 4 innings. Then I get home and turn on the Phils-Mets. Lieber is cruising, retiring about 17 in a row. With 2 outs in the 6th, Lieber misplays a little bouncer that any of the over-30 guys could have handled. Delgado singles and then that slug Burrell lets a Wright pop-up go for a single and the Mets get 3 and win, 4-3. Lieber gets a complete-game loss, despite a really nice effort.

The Phils don't have much. Once you get past Utley and Howard, the rest of the lineup isn't exactly a murderers row. Those 2, Rollins, Myers and Hamels are probably the only untouchables on the team.

BTW, watching Wagner close for the Mets in the 9th, I get the feeling we're seeing Mitch Williams revisited. Not the wildness, but the inconsistency. The Mets have a really nice lineup, but I don't see how they get too far into the playoffs with just Pedro and Glavine. And I think Wagner is getting ready to mess up big time when it counts the most. The only question is who will play Joe Carter to Wagner's Williams.

I had the same feeling about Williams late in the year and early in the playoffs. He'd walk 3, then strike out 3, and I asked myself how many times can he get away with this. Carter caught up with him. Today, Wagner comes on, gives up a lead off single to Howard and a pinch hit to Utley. He wiggled out of it, but only because the Phils are pretty anemic after those 2 guys.

Oh yeah, that slug (not slugger) Burrell took a called 3rd strike. Unbelievable. I sure hope Patsy is wearing a different uniform next year.

sq764
08-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't know how they're doing it. They're 53-56 now, after Saturday's loss. As much as I like the wild card situation in MLB this year, some very mediocre teams are still alive. The Phils got back into it on the backs of Utley and Howard, and some good pitching, at times.

I went to the Blue Claws (Phils Class 'A' team) stadium this morning to exchange some rain checks for future games. I noticed lots of cars in the lot and then I heard the unmistakeable 'ping' of an aluminum bat from inside the park. They were letting a local 'over 30' league use the field, so I sat and watched about 4 innings. Then I get home and turn on the Phils-Mets. Lieber is cruising, retiring about 17 in a row. With 2 outs in the 6th, Lieber misplays a little bouncer that any of the over-30 guys could have handled. Delgado singles and then that slug Burrell lets a Wright pop-up go for a single and the Mets get 3 and win, 4-3. Lieber gets a complete-game loss, despite a really nice effort.

The Phils don't have much. Once you get past Utley and Howard, the rest of the lineup isn't exactly a murderers row. Those 2, Rollins, Myers and Hamels are probably the only untouchables on the team.

BTW, watching Wagner close for the Mets in the 9th, I get the feeling we're seeing Mitch Williams revisited. Not the wildness, but the inconsistency. The Mets have a really nice lineup, but I don't see how they get too far into the playoffs with just Pedro and Glavine. And I think Wagner is getting ready to mess up big time when it counts the most. The only question is who will play Joe Carter to Wagner's Williams.

I had the same feeling about Williams late in the year and early in the playoffs. He'd walk 3, then strike out 3, and I asked myself how many times can he get away with this. Carter caught up with him. Today, Wagner comes on, gives up a lead off single to Howard and a pinch hit to Utley. He wiggled out of it, but only because the Phils are pretty anemic after those 2 guys.

Oh yeah, that slug (not slugger) Burrell took a called 3rd strike. Unbelievable. I sure hope Patsy is wearing a different uniform next year.
First off, I don't even acknowledge Burrell by name anymore, it makes me physically ill.

I like their team right now. Howard and Utley are beasts, Rollins is a great shortstop and an ok hitter, Delluci has some nice pop in the outfield, Victorino is a nice young player with room to grow, and Rowand plays a nice CF..

Between Myers, Hamels and Mathison, they have a potentially potent starting 3 next year and if Wolf can keep getting stronger, they should only need 1 good statrting pitcher (and they have a ton of found money)

They need a 3rd basemen no doubt and they need to decide on the catching situation..

sq764
08-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Mets aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. Their starting pitching is very weak and with Sanchez out for the year, they have a weak bullpen.

The offense is talented, but very inconsistent. Wright looks clueless up there right now and Beltran is hitting like .019 at home this year

Valuist
08-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Another nasty spill for Rowand. At some point you have to wonder if he will lose his fearlessness. We certainly see it happen with riders after a bad spill or two.....the wide trip looks much more appealing.

sq764
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Another nasty spill for Rowand. At some point you have to wonder if he will lose his fearlessness. We certainly see it happen with riders after a bad spill or two.....the wide trip looks much more appealing.
I think he loves the contact..He's flat out nuts..

Sucks he is a good leader on the team and now he's out for 5 weeks with a broken ankle

Valuist
08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
He is a good leader. I know he was very popular on the Sox and he could be considered a poor man's 5-tool player. He's topped 20 HRs before, stolen over 20 bases, capable of hitting .300 & great defensively. The Sox can't complain about getting Thome, who's put up big numbers although w/his injuries in the past, one has to wonder how many more years he'll be able to do it.

sq764
08-22-2006, 02:43 PM
He is a good leader. I know he was very popular on the Sox and he could be considered a poor man's 5-tool player. He's topped 20 HRs before, stolen over 20 bases, capable of hitting .300 & great defensively. The Sox can't complain about getting Thome, who's put up big numbers although w/his injuries in the past, one has to wonder how many more years he'll be able to do it.
Well I think the deal worked out great for everyone.. Rowand is a nice player and a very good cernterfielder. Thome has had a monster year and Ryan Howard has gotten to play a full year and has been awesome..

Valuist
08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
He took a beating today. He had been in real good form. Looks like his weakness is the gopher ball.

sq764
08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
You had to know this type of game was coming.. He had been sharp as hell and this kind of game might remind him he is a rookie and when you don't hit spots, you get killed..

Just need Cincy to lose tonight to keep it at 1.5 games

Bathless
08-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Good job by Cole last night -- 8 IP, 1R, 1ER, 4H, 2BB, 3SO. His only mistake was the dinger by Soriano, which Hamels called "a 500 foot bomb".

Apparently, Hamels had an alibi for his bad effort last out vs. the Cubs. Sliced a pitching hand finger with a knife.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060830&content_id=1636949&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi

BTW, the Marlins are starting to scare me. How do they do it? Twice, they built WS champions; twice the team was dismantled.

Burnett ? Gone. Beckett ? Gone. No problem. They're in it again, led by Cabrera and lots of good, young pitching....Phils and Marlins play each other 10 times in September.

skate
08-31-2006, 04:05 PM
somebody tell me, the Phils have a third baseman in the minors.

help

Bathless
09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
:jump: I keep having this dream that, with Bowa gone, Rolen returns.:jump:

Phillies don't appear to have much in the way of position players in the minors. But have faith. When Howard played in Lakewood, he was a 0.260 hitter (in Low 'A' ball) and didn't show anywhere near the power he's been demonstrating today. Now he's around 0.300 and headed for 60 HRs against big-league pitchers. Maybe somebody else will 'find it' the way Ryan did.

There's a catcher who played for Lakewood just last season named Jaramillo who's been at Reading this year. They're sending him to Arizona this fall, so they must think he's got the goods. He's only hitting about 0.250 for Reading and he didn't hit much better than that for Lakewood, but he impressed me as being 'muy' solid defensively. BTW, both Howard and Hamels played in the Arizona Fall League.

skate
09-01-2006, 02:03 PM
where abouts in AZ, and why is that significant? lakewood is near what city?

how bout those players the yanks gave for Abreu, anything there?

Bathless
09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
where abouts in AZ, and why is that significant? lakewood is near what city?

how bout those players the yanks gave for Abreu, anything there?

The Arizona Fall League is kind of a fast path to the bigs; I think the league refers to itself as the graduate school of the minor leagues. It's a 6-team league with 5 MLB teams contributing to the roster of each AFL team. It's the cream. Since the league started in 1992, over 1200 AFL players have made it to the bigs.

Given the Phils' situation at catcher, if Jaramillo shows anything with the bat, he could be playing at Citizens pretty soon. Oddly, the Phils are also sending Gavin Floyd, which is somewhat unusual, because he's already been to the show a couple of times. They might be showcasing him, they might be trying to boost his confidence. Not sure. The other 5 from the Phils are also pitchers.

AFL teams are in Phoenix, Flagstaff, Mesa, Surprise and Peoria. I see you're in PA and AZ. You could get to see some very good baseball. Check out www.minorleaguebaseball.com (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com) for the schedule.

Lakewood is in Central NJ, near Toms River, about 45 miles east of Trenton.

Of the players the Yanks gave up for Abreu, I've only seen CJ Henry, the Yanks #1 pick in 2005. I've seen him twice; made 3 errors in 2 games at SS. Not making up for it with the bat, either. I'm going to the last 2 regular season games -- Sunday and Monday, weather permitting. Maybe Henry has adjusted to his new uniform.

Bathless
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
From the MiLB website, you can get to a link of the all-time rosters of the Arizona Fall League. A lot of major leaguers-in-waiting.

Mighty impressive list: Ryan Howard, Derek Jeter, Matt Holliday, Roy Halladay, Jenks, Kanerko, Burrell, LoDuca, Mauer, Pierzynski. Rocker, Grady Sizemore, Victorino, Preston Wilson, David Wright, and Johnny Damon.

skate
09-02-2006, 05:57 PM
bathless;

ok, thanks for the tag.

ya , i'm back here in PA. waiting for things to develope.
and then it all depends, lived in vegas during the 90s, might go back to Mesquite nv.
az., i'm in the mountains, for the cool weather. i'm not good in the hot and humid conditions, but it's tough to make the move, i'll be without my income.

i'm not up on baseball, as you can see, but i do like the game.

i'll keep my eyes on C.J., might be that he can play third?