PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Sat/Sun Aug 12-13 -- where we're meeting

andicap
08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Since we don't have the tent on those two days (as well as Sat. Aug. 19I, I will propose sitting at a picnic site on the lawn that I have used in the past. If there are any objections please post them here or email me. Or if anyone has any alternative ideas please post them or email me. I want to nail them a confirmed place by Sunday and we're wide open to different suggestions.

Here is the spot:
It is at the far end of the grandstand near the playground area. It is outside behind the grandstand.
How to get there: Enter the track on the Union Avenue entrance FURTHEST from Nelson Avenue. That is, the first one you get to if are coming off the Northway exit near Yaddo. For those unfamilar with the track there are two turnstile entrances on Union Avenue.
You could still enter the entrance closer to Nelson Avenue. If you do, the walk is somewhat further to the area I have in mind.

-- Walk into the track and when you almost get to the grandstand itself take a sharp left. Do Not go into the grandstand!
-- Walk almost as far as you can, outside the track in the backyard but in the direction of the upper stretch. Stay fairly close to the grandstand.
-- When you see the children's playground area on your LEFT, you're just about there and you can start looking for us. Remember we are will be on far side of the bridal path as you enter the track.
-- I'm not 100% share where we will set up BUT we will try to find a spot with a lot of room, picnic tables and shade near some monitors.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS for those days:

-- You may want to bring a lawn chair or you can always sit on the grass or a blanket.
-- We will provide drinks and snacks in our rolling cooler EVERY DAY, but no food like lunch meats. No one ate the stuff Suff bought last year anyway.
-- For those with laptops, print! There is no place to plug in your computer, at least that I know of. Would be neat if we had some small generator type device but not sure if it's practical or too expensive. We will have download and printing capabilities at our house at 8 Taiford Place, off Nelson Avenue, but of course, only when we are around.

HOW TO FIND US IF IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME:

We will try and have a small handmade sign but if you don't see one:

--You can look through the PA gallery pictures to get to know a few faces.
-- It will be one of the rare fairly large groups with few or no women.
- I will have my Pace Advantage shirt on.

This area has only two disadvantages that I know of -- it's a decent walk to the paddock and from two of the entrances. Otherwise it has the following conveniences:

- Close to the grandstand in case it rains and more importantly to betting machines.
- Less crowded than most other areas
- Easy access to going upstairs or the rail if you want to watch a race live.
-- Lots of shade available if the heat continues.

One alterantive to that spot is making sure we get there early and grabbing a bunch of tables in the Carousel but since we may have a large crowd on the weekend I'm not sure it is practical.

I will check with the track office to see if there were any cancellations for those dates for the Festival Tent.

SilverSow
08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Andicap,

Thanks for posting - Bubbles & I will be there on the 14th... but as far as what you said about perhaps taking a bunch of tables in the Carousel - I think they frown on coolers being brought in there, so the "big rolling cooler" (which does indeed take on a life of its own as the time goes on! LOL) might present a problem there.

Dave

Mike at A+
08-03-2006, 08:23 PM
That IS a great spot andi. My dad scoped that area out years ago and it is one of the few pieces of real estate that doesn't get mobbed. Shade, betting machines, TV's - what more could one ask?

Tom
08-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Andicap,

Thanks for posting - Bubbles & I will be there on the 14th... but as far as what you said about perhaps taking a bunch of tables in the Carousel - I think they frown on coolers being brought in there, so the "big rolling cooler" (which does indeed take on a life of its own as the time goes on! LOL) might present a problem there.

Dave

Paint it white, slap on a big red cross, and everyone wear white - tell 'em you're medics! :lol:

BillW
08-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Paint it white, slap on a big red cross, and everyone wear white - tell 'em you're medics! :lol:

Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard ... nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

andicap
08-04-2006, 11:22 AM
That IS a great spot andi. My dad scoped that area out years ago and it is one of the few pieces of real estate that doesn't get mobbed. Shade, betting machines, TV's - what more could one ask?

A guy named Charlie Mone, who a few people around here recall from Prodigy, showed me that area almost 15 years ago. It's more populated than it had been, but far less so than the masses on the rest of the lawn. Get there early enough and we can push a few picnic tables together

Red Knave
08-04-2006, 05:19 PM
http://horseplayerdaily.21publish.com/nicelynicely I can't be the only one who gets the Runyon connection, right?

Thanks for the info Andy. I'll be calling BillW for updates when I get there Sunday.

Storm Cadet
08-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna get up early Saturday morning to watch the workouts on the backstretch. I'll try to remember to bring some cheap plastic table cloths (Yankee of course for Suff) and get 2 tables near either the tent or the Carolina BBQ area near the Carosel.

My tail needs to be near the paddock to check out the all the fillies (equine and human) and BBQ (in no particular order) to enjoy my 2 day stay!

Let's see: My checklist with 7 days to go:

1. Cigars for Suff
2. Chivas Regal for Red Knave
3. Red wine for your steak out
4. Printouts for racing.

Leave anything out? :confused:

BillW
08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Leave anything out? :confused:

5. Pick me up hitching in the hotel parking lot Sat. AM :kiss:

cj
08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
5. Pick me up hitching in the hotel parking lot Sat. AM :kiss:

Me too! :(

Storm Cadet
08-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Is Justin arriving with you in Albany airport friday afternoon?

Ron

BillW
08-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Ron,

I was just kidding - I don't think you'll have the room - we'll get something figured out. :)

Bill

PaceAdvantage
08-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Who is going to be there on the 11th (Friday)? I think CJ said he was going to there...anyone else?

BillW
08-05-2006, 04:00 AM
Ron, Craig, Justin and myself will be coming into Albany late afternoon on the 11th. We're all staying in Albany that night then heading up to the track in the morning.

cj
08-05-2006, 10:13 AM
This time next week we'll be at the Spa! :D

Tom
08-05-2006, 10:37 AM
PA - I changed plans - will be there Monday for sure, maybe Sunday too.

Storm Cadet
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
BillW- We'll have room..I still have the jeep...

andicap
08-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Does anyone else have any objections or preferences to the three choices listed above for the tables?

-- By the festival tent, way in the back not far from the Big Red Spring
-- Near Carolina BBQ and the Carosel, a central location close to the grandstand
-- the private spot near the end of the grandstand.

I'm easy on this, but I DO think it's important that we get a spot in the shade.

Bubbles
08-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Having a friend who's an usher at the end of the grandstand near the top of the stretch, I can tell you that it is a HAUL in terms of a walk if you want to watch a race trackside after setting up shop there. I know it's not inside, but the same principle applies. From the festival tent, it's not bad and very direct, but it does get crowded very quickly. On a Saturday, where most of the crew rolls in at 12ish after gates open at least an hour earlier, that might not be practical.

andicap
08-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Having a friend who's an usher at the end of the grandstand near the top of the stretch, I can tell you that it is a HAUL in terms of a walk if you want to watch a race trackside after setting up shop there. I know it's not inside, but the same principle applies. From the festival tent, it's not bad and very direct, but it does get crowded very quickly. On a Saturday, where most of the crew rolls in at 12ish after gates open at least an hour earlier, that might not be practical.

A haul in terms of to where? To the rail or upstairs? I'm not sure what you mean since the site is just outside of the grandstand and much closer to the track than by the tent.

Unless you mean you want to watch the rac by the finish line -- then yes, it's a bit of a walk, but I still maintain it's closer than the festival tent -- that's a pretty decent walk to the grandstand.

Bubbles
08-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Yes, I was referring to watching the race by the finish line.