PDA

View Full Version : Big Ouch for Red Sox

OTM Al
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2536637

This hurts. He isn't the greatest hitter there is or even that great a catcher, but he's a fantastic team guy. Now the Sox will have to deal with the types of problems that have been plaguing the Yanks all year. Almost feel a little sorry for all you Sox fans.

sq764
08-02-2006, 10:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2536637

This hurts. He isn't the greatest hitter there is or even that great a catcher, but he's a fantastic team guy. Now the Sox will have to deal with the types of problems that have been plaguing the Yanks all year. Almost feel a little sorry for all you Sox fans.
They say he is only out for a month.. Not good, but not devastating.. Will be back for playoffs, just need to get there :-)

StartedAt18
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
According to the Providence Journal, the Red Sox are targeting Javy Lopez in a trade to replace Jason Varitek, who is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with knee surgery.

OTM Al
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Paplebon got hit around again last night but this time by the Royals. Ouch! I figured this 3 day set would give the Sox an easy shot at catching back up with the Yanks but after 2 days they've lost another game in the standings and are a flat Rivera cutter away from having lost a second game. The anaylsts on ESPN called the Yanks as the likely winner in the East a couple days ago. While that is premature in my book the Sox had better get going soon as the Yanks are starting to get their players back with Cano picking right up where he left off and Matsui due back in about 2 weeks.

PaceAdvantage
08-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Nothing would make me happier than to see sq764 wrong once again about the Yankees....

But then again, should they win, I'll just hear about how big their payroll is, and how they shouldn't do anything else BUT win with a dugout full of all-stars.....however, that would be music to my ears.....:p

ghostyapper
08-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Looks like the rook papelbon has really hit a wall after being almost unhittable for most of the year. If he starts faultering, they won't even come close to the playoffs.

As a yankee fan, this has to be one of the most enjoyable seasons so far. They were written off in june and now it looks like they might pull away with the division. I am also not afraid of the tigers at all. They remind me of the mariners in 2001.

rgustafson
08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Long way to go yet in the regular season for any bold predictions. Once playoffs begin, pitching will be key to winning short series. Forget the five or even somtimes four days between starts for the front line guys. Whichever staff is going best will take the whole thing.

OTM Al
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
This should have been expected for Papelbon in a way. Maybe expected is too harsh, but he is a rookie and had the advantage of facing batters who had never seen him before. Given that he is the closer as well, batters were getting very few looks at him. Now he is in uncharted territory and the hitters have seen enough of him to be able to guage him better. It is now up to him to adjust as well as shrug off the effects of a long season. I hope he can. As a fan of baseball, nothing is better than 2 teams facing off with their very best with the players at the top of their game come October...and this comes from a guy who roots for the Yanks.

cj
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to see sq764 wrong once again about the Yankees....

He was wrong about Mussina, why not the whole team?

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Posts deleted by sq's request....