PDA

View Full Version : A story to share with my friends...

Dave Schwartz
08-02-2006, 02:40 AM
My father's side of the family was from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I lived there for awhile when I was 17 or so to attend school. (1969)

About a year after coming home I joined the military and lost touch with them. Then my parents died and I had no idea where any of the family was.

When the internet became the communication medium of the '90s I began searching for them periodically. The cousin I was closest to was the one I always searched for and always without success.

I would try different variations of his name in many different U.K. cities - anywhere that I recalled him mentioning that he would like to live, work, go to school, etc. Never any luck.

Last Friday I got an idea to search for one of the family's business names (a search I had tried previously without success). This time I got a hit. Of course, the link was outdated and the telephone number was wrong but I got the name of a different cousin and followed his trail over the internet for several hours.

Eventually, I found a good telephone number for the business. Early Monday morning (and I mean like 12:30am early) I called and located my cousin. "Where have you been these last 37 years?" he wanted to know.

Anyway, he tells me that the cousin I have been looking for is living in Seattle but he will have to send me the number.

In the morning I search for the cousin in the Seattle area and find him. I call his house and his wife answers. She tells me that she will have him call me. (Remember that we have certainly never met - my cousin and I were both 17 when we last met.)

Ten minutes later my telephone rings. Here comes the real kicker...

It is my cousin. And he is calling from Carson City, Nevada where he is working - a 25 minute drive from my house - and where they are planning on moving.

In addition, his wife was flying in the same night (last night).

Beth and I spent the evening with them tonight. What a joyous time.

End of story.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

JustRalph
08-02-2006, 05:06 AM
God Bless the Internet..................nice story Dave!

Suff
08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
My father's side of the family was from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I lived there for awhile when I was 17 or so to attend school. (1969)

Terrific heart warming story.

Your family is from the Emerald Isle? Interesting. I never knew that.

Your Irish diaspora. You could, if your Grandfather lived there get legal irish citizen status.

No people on this earth have effected Culture, Music, Literature & Language like the Irish. A documented History of nearly 9000 years.

From a country with a population less than New York City we've risen from war's , famine's and disease's so tragic its makes the rest of the world's burden look like a Hot Fudge Sunday.

In one five year period nearly 2 million died, and another 2 million fled.

In a 1845 letter to the Duke Of Wellington, an Englishman described our plight.

six famished and ghastly skeletons, to all appearance dead, huddled in a corner, their sole covering what seemed to be a ragged horse cloth, and their wretched legs hanging about, naked above the knees. I approached in horror and found by a low moaning that they were alive, they were in fever – four children, a woman and what had once been a man… In a few minutes I was surrounded by at least 200 of such phantoms, such frightful spectres as no words can describe. By far the greater number were delirious either from famine or fever… Within 500 yards of the Cavalry Station at Skibbereen, the dispensary doctor found seven wretches lying, unable to move, under the same cloak – one had been dead many hours, but the others were unable to move, either themselves or the corpse."

From this we rose, yet again, in less than 50 years, to rule the eastern seaboard of the most powerful nation on earth!

You found your cousin after 30+ years. Of course you did....:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
08-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Suff,

You found your cousin after 30+ years. Of course you did....

Ain't the internet grand? <G>

Perhaps our great-grandfathers shared potatoes together. (And perhaps a pint or two.) <G>

Ironically, Beth and I had recently decided on a two-week vacation in Ireland next summer. Now we find that the family is having a reunion at the same time we are going! (First reunion in 30 years.)

Dave

DJofSD
08-02-2006, 06:10 PM
No people on this earth have effected Culture, Music, Literature & Language like the Irish. A documented History of nearly 9000 years.

The Irish did save civilization and the book by that title is a good read.

LutherCalvin
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Great story, Dave.

You know why God created alcohol?
So the Irish wouldn't rule the world!

Best wishes.

Dave Schwartz
08-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Luther,

LOL - When I first moved to Ireland, it was quite normal for a 17-yr old (like me) to stop into a pub on the way home for a little something to warm up a little.

Dave

Tom
08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm half Iraish, and I miss my grandmother's 7 course Irish dinners - boiled potato and a 6 pack! :lol: