PDA

View Full Version : Yet another DMR breakdown

linrom1
08-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Three-year-old New Joysey Jeff was euthanized after breaking down during a workout over the turf at Del Mar on Monday morning.

The Bright Launch colt was working five furlongs when he was injured, fracturing sesamoid bones in his left front leg. He was the first horse to work on the turf on Monday morning and track officials canceled the remaining scheduled workouts on the grass.

New Joysey Jeff finished second in the Will Rogers Stakes (G3) on May 21 over the turf at Hollywood Park and finished third in the San Vicente Stakes (G2) on February 12 over the main track at Santa Anita Park. In his most recent start, he finished third in a division of the Oceanside Stakes on July 19, opening day at Del Mar.

Owned by Branch and Ellenay Racing and trained by Mark Glatt, New Joysey Jeff won one of eight starts and earned $85,546. He was bred by Ellenay Racing and is out of the Dynaformer mare Dyna Peak.

ryesteve
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
In each of his last two starts he took a sharp right turn around the 8th pole (dumping the jockey in one of them). Kinda strange behavior in a horse that shouldn't still be green. Could've been an indication that all was not right with him.

JPinMaryland
08-02-2006, 01:22 AM
I've seen this horse run before but cant remember where. Is there a link for his PPs? was he always a turf horse? maybe it was the SA race...

Ron
08-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Horses will always breakdown. You're going to be pretty busy posting them all. Although I think this one is significant, it could have happened anywhere. Should DMR get polyturf?

Murph
08-02-2006, 08:18 AM
New Joisey Jeff queered the field in a couple of minor stakes at AQU
this past winter IIRC. The race with Oprah Whinney and Rang True is
the one I recall complaining about. As ryesteve mentioned it appeared
to me he looked strange on the track. Couldn't put my finger on it but
he looked different somehow. I didn't wager into races he ran after the
above mentioned one.

Murph

karlskorner
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Article over on www.equidaily.com, won't wrap for me, if someone could bring it over.

DJofSD
08-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Link to Washington Post article. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/01/AR2006080101260.html)

linrom1
08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Horses will always breakdown. You're going to be pretty busy posting them all. Although I think this one is significant, it could have happened anywhere. Should DMR get polyturf?

The reason why I posted this is because in my opinion this breakdown is significant. For one, this horse had a lot of potential. Secondly, I am viewing DMR’s turf with great suspicion. It’s super fast and I yet have to see a real closer win a race there. I heard a comment that its like a top of a pool table.

DJofSD
08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
FWIW, from the club house it does not look any different than before.

And given that it's used only 7 or 8 weeks at the most for the entire year, I can't imagine it has any problems with the base.

Maybe there is something different that the 22nd ag district did or did not do this year to get it ready. Of coarse, it'll never be admitted to if there was something changed between the end of the fair and the start of the meeting -- all of three weeks.

bigmack
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
It's gotten to the point where locally we're referring to it as "Where the Hearst meets the Turf"

kenwoodallpromos
08-06-2006, 08:13 PM
3 races- 2 "ducked out" and a breakdown- time to suspect a leg problem noticeable most when changing leads? DM Pres emailed me that at the necropsies they always scan both legs, so maybe that will tell something.
Jockey broke the collarbone- isn't there some kind of neckbrace jockeys can wear as a preventitive measure?

46zilzal
08-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Jockey broke the collarbone- isn't there some kind of neckbrace jockeys can wear as a preventitive measure?
NO because it is a common mechanism of fracture called a F.O.O.H. (Fall on outstreched hand) and the force transmits upward to the clavicle which abosorbs the shock coming from the abrupt interaction with the ground.

JustRalph
08-07-2006, 03:07 AM
abrupt interaction with the ground.

ground impact deceleration syndrome......... again! Join the fight to Stop

GIDS!

Tom
08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
F.O.O.H?
How about L.O.A. :rolleyes:

kenwoodallpromos
08-07-2006, 02:04 PM
F.O.O.H?
How about L.O.A. :rolleyes:
_____At Turfway it is called F.O.R.T.- Fall on rubber track!