PDA

View Full Version : How stupid are college athletes?

Valuist
07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Apparently very. And naive too.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohiocollegesports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/115424856961830.xml&coll=2

Bubbles
07-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Launching debate about uselessness of this generation in 3...2...1...

Valuist
07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Easy Bubbles. Wasn't ripping the whole generation. Just the athletes who post stuff on MySpace and the like that could cause problems for them later on.

kenwoodallpromos
07-31-2006, 03:46 PM
It was the headline of the piece that first used the word "stupid".
I would call it immature.

Bubbles
07-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Easy Bubbles. Wasn't ripping the whole generation. Just the athletes who post stuff on MySpace and the like that could cause problems for them later on.
Wasn't so much getting mad at you. I figured someone'd step in and say something after that.

On a related note, as a kid who has both a MySpace and Facebook account, I can't say this is false. Kids do stupid stuff, and it gets posted sometimes. By the same token, though, the people that go out of their way to look for stuff to blame kids for are also at fault. If someone gets a tip, fine, but that's bordering on invasion of privacy.

Besides, will running extra sprints REALLY change that sort of behavior?

JustRalph
07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
one name comes to mind.....

Maurice Clarrett

BillW
07-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Launching debate about uselessness of this generation in 3...2...1...

Bubs,

This generation isn't much different from the past, they just have more opportunity to brag about it. :bang:

Topic on D. Patricks show a few weeks ago: people were arguing that college and pro recruiters were voilating privacy for using recruits' websites as a judge of their character. The college athletes are only the 2nd dumbest on the dumb list. :D

Valuist
08-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Wasn't so much getting mad at you. I figured someone'd step in and say something after that.

On a related note, as a kid who has both a MySpace and Facebook account, I can't say this is false. Kids do stupid stuff, and it gets posted sometimes. By the same token, though, the people that go out of their way to look for stuff to blame kids for are also at fault. If someone gets a tip, fine, but that's bordering on invasion of privacy.

Besides, will running extra sprints REALLY change that sort of behavior?

I agree it seems like bordering on invasion of privacy. Kind of like entrapment. But in the information age, the kids have to be aware that they have to be careful what they do....and post. Badjocks.com has files with all the college teams that were accused of hazing and you wonder what these kids were thinking by posting the stuff online.

Valuist
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
one name comes to mind.....

Maurice Clarrett

He's the poster child.