PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Wednesday (9/4)

rrbauer
09-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Del Mar Wednesday September 4, 2002
Fast and Firm – Rails 14 ft. (according to DRF)
Watch 1st race. Only three settings here. 0 ft, 7 ft and 14 ft.

R1
2YO baby girls going two-turns for the first time and on the turf for the first time. And you want me to put money on it? Nah!

R2
Cheap 3YO trying a mile. Field down to five with scratches. Another pass.

R3
Nice field here and a problem for pickers. I don’t care for #1A and #6. The rest have a shot. Like the job Glenney has done with Caveolin. Sahadi’s barn warming up so look at Spycat for a price.

R4
Don’t like Mr. Reed. Both Pennysenyen and Jack’s Ole’ have good efforts over the track and Siward coming back for Sise has a shot.

R5
ML Fav scratched. Jim Hilling doesn’t run much down here, so I give a big chance to Meetingthegeneral (kind of like MeetingTheMotherinLaw :) ). Sci Fi Kin has nice works on the comeback for Abrams (look who had her in Florida) and adds Lasix. Finally, Cee’s Valley Girl adds the hood and has been burning up the clockers’ watches in the morning since raced.

R6
Another turfer (groan). My picks assume that the rails are out all the way otherwise no picks! Three 8-1 shots: Hopso, Sterling Wisdom and Templar Knight (check the Tomlinson turf fig).

R7
La Bella Reina adds the hood. Last race she got nailed on the money by Alpine Singer when ‘Reina didn’t change leads late. ‘Reina will be on the lead. You gotta catch her. ‘Singer’s last wasn’t a fluke and she finally gets off the rail. Amber Hills probably won’t go much farther than 7f, but this is 6; and, she can motor late.

R8
Flying Soldier (2nd off layoff, 2nd off testicle “operation” and dropping) and Fab Do will ding-dong early. ‘Do has been doing the El Foldo and will probably do so again. ML Fav is Matlow’s Fight For Freedom who switches to Flores. Have to use him. I don’t think they tried with A Real King last time, but I think they’re trying today! Burning Bay had dead aim and a clean trip last time so I’m cooling off on him.

Go Baby Go!

rrbauer
09-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Damage

R1
2YO baby girls going two-turns for the first time and on the turf for the first time. And you want me to put money on it? Nah! Result Fav Major Idea (1-1) tracked in the 3-path and came to challenge off the turn. ‘Idea got the lead mid-stretch and that was that. (Rail is out 14 ft—look for that to change before the weekend.)

R2
Cheap 3YO trying a mile. Field down to five with scratches. Another pass. Result Willy’s Way wins and fav Casey’s Castle is 2nd. Don’t ask me how because I didn’t watch it.

R3
Nice field here and a problem for pickers. I don’t care for #1A and #6. The rest have a shot. Like the job Glenney has done with Caveolin. Sahadi’s barn warming up so look at Spycat for a price. Result Not sure but I think Spycat might have been best. With the rails at 14’ you gotta have your stretch run lined up going into the turn; not coming out of it. Almeida waited and waited while Victor took All The Gears outside and had a clear run for the win. Caveolin was in tight quarters but just not good enough, but saved 2nd.. Everyone saw the trouble, so next time Spycat (3rd) will be overbet. I had a $20/$10 win dutch on the two that I mentioned and had kicked off a $1 P3. Life’s a beach!

R4
Don’t like Mr. Reed. Both Pennysenyen and Jack’s Ole’ have good efforts over the track and Siward coming back for Sise has a shot. Result Prime Candidate, Mr. Reed and Valiant Vision on the inside made the running with Siward tracking two back. Several back to Pennysenyen (thought this one would make the lead!) and Jack’s Ole wasn’t in the picture. Mr. Reed ran away from them in the stretch winning by 5. ‘Vision was 2nd and Prime Candidate got 3rd. Small dutch win bet on the 3 I liked and a $1 P3 are history.

R5
ML Fav scratched. Jim Hilling doesn’t run much down here, so I give a big chance to Meetingthegeneral (kind of like MeetingTheMotherinLaw :) ). Sci Fi Kin has nice works on the comeback for Abrams (look who had her in Florida) and adds Lasix. Finally, Cee’s Valley Girl adds the hood and has been burning up the clockers’ watches in the morning since raced. Result ‘Kin went fav and didn’t run a step. Noon Meeting, Meetingthegeneral and Lucky In Love made the running. Love got the win. Cee’s Valley Girl (17-1) took a left turn out of the gate and created chaos. She managed to get straightened out and ran a nice race to finish 2nd. But the stewards evil eye saw the start and put ‘Girl in the toilet (along with my exacta backwheel!). Noon Meeting was 3rd. I dropped $7 in exactas and an $8 win bet on ‘Girl and $27 worth of P3’s went down, too.

R6
Another turfer (groan). My picks assume that the rails are out all the way otherwise no picks! Three 8-1 shots: Hopso, Sterling Wisdom and Templar Knight (check the Tomlinson turf fig). Result ‘Hopso got an off-balance start. ‘Wisdom (off rail) made the lead with ‘Knight tracking two back (3 path). At the 3/8 Bold Mango (perfect trip) came up inside ‘Wisdom to challenge. Spend Spend Spend saved ground and closed up the rail. Onetrickphoney rallied wide. ‘Mango got the win, ‘Spend 2nd and ‘phoney 3rd. ‘Wisdom was 4th. Had $8 win bet on Hopso (20-1). Knight’s race BTL (tight qtrs far turn/upper str). I’ve got a bad case of handicapper’s turf toe!

R7
La Bella Reina adds the hood. Last race she got nailed on the money by Alpine Singer when ‘Reina didn’t change leads late. ‘Reina will be on the lead. You gotta catch her. ‘Singer’s last wasn’t a fluke and she finally gets off the rail. Amber Hills probably won’t go much farther than 7f, but this is 6; and, she can motor late. ‘Reina battled inside early to get the lead. Mr. Ants-in-his-pants fell asleep at the switch into the turn and P Val on Amber Hills slipped thru on the rail to challenge and get the lead. Meanwhile Miss Nicolie (14-1) was coming in the 4-path off the turn trying to lug in (had Flores pulled straight up) and when she cleared it was all over. ‘Hills got 2nd and fast-closing Summer Wind Dancer got 3rd. ‘Nicolie was a maiden! I understand Pedroza convinced Art Sherman that ‘Reina needed the blinkers. I’d like to petition Sherman that ‘Reina needs a new rider; blinkers, or not! No bets. No blood!

R8
Flying Soldier (2nd off layoff, 2nd off testicle “operation” and dropping) and Fab Do will ding-dong early. ‘Do has been doing the El Foldo and will probably do so again. ML Fav is Matlow’s Fight For Freedom who switches to Flores. Have to use him. I don’t think they tried with A Real King last time, but I think they’re trying today. Burning Bay had dead aim and a clean trip last time so I’m cooling off on him. Result Fab Do got the easy lead and the way speed was sticking around today I’m not surprised that he saved 2nd. Fav, Fight For Freedom (1-1), pressed from outside and got the lead mid-stretch, with Burning Bay following ‘Freedom, but not doing enough. And, A Real King, picked up the pieces again, getting 3rd. ‘Bay was 4th. ‘Soldier tracked inside on the backside but wanted no part of the real running. Ticket to Bay Meadows for him. No bets. No blood!

See you on the weekend. Other plans tomorrow and Friday.