PDA

View Full Version : Article from New York Times

cj
07-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Features one of our esteemed posters...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/sports/othersports/30cheer.html

KingChas
07-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Small world, never knew Andy attended Lehigh U. Three miles from my house.
At that time they were known as the Lehigh Engineers.

“He’s so argumentative in trying to pick winners that every conversation is an event.”

Not our TLG? :lol: :ThmbUp: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
FINALLY, an article that moved me to actually fill out the NYT online registration form!

Achilles
07-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Well there's two things that I have in common with tlg................better make that one. We both went to Lehigh, but when my folks were still alive, and I'd go home for a visit, they let me stay with them.;)

JustRalph
07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
FINALLY, an article that moved me to actually fill out the NYT online registration form!

sorry, not me..........

Indulto
07-30-2006, 07:08 PM
CJ,
You could at least have given us a relevant excerpt.;)

cj
07-30-2006, 07:30 PM
CJ,
You could at least have given us a relevant excerpt.;)

Here ya go:

“Here was this little know-it-all, a regular among the newsstand crowd with an opinion on everything,” said Andrew Beyer, a horse racing columnist for The Washington Post, who witnessed many of Serling’s Broadway performances. “Over the years, I observed little Andy’s progress from a know-it-all kid to a know-it-all adult.”

KingChas
07-30-2006, 07:33 PM
“He’s so argumentative in trying to pick winners that every conversation is an event.”

Not our TLG? :lol: :ThmbUp: :lol:

The above quote was also attributed to Mr. Beyer.

Take notice of the underlined word................ :lol:

Indulto
07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Here ya go: :lol: Thanks, CJ.

Tom
07-30-2006, 09:27 PM

Me too.
But I used Ralph's email address! :lol:

JustRalph
07-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Me too.
But I used Ralph's email address! :lol:\\

Thanks! :bang: :bang:

the little guy
07-31-2006, 12:47 AM
I am REALLY glad so many of you enjoyed the article and I appreciate ALL your kind words.

I will be sure to reciprocate when your article appears in the NY Times.

ELA
07-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Great article. I enjoyed it.

Eric

Valuist
07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
TLG-

If you could do it for 4 years full time, I'd say its about 1-5 that you will go back to it full time. The game has changed a lot since the mid 90s; rebates are out there, some really big. Full card simulcasting was in its infancy back then in a lot of places. Have to think there's more money to be made now than in the mid 90s.

Suff
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I am REALLY glad so many of you enjoyed the article and I appreciate ALL your kind words.

I will be sure to reciprocate when your article appears in the NY Times.

Andi Good to see you again on Saturday.

Great article... congrats. Something to be proud of....and a nice treat.

Because lets face it.. Horse racing gets lilliputian press, so to get a piece in the NY Times is very sweet.

Hey listen.. Saturday morning I was sitting a few feet from Harvey Pack...(you saw where I was sitting)...and I could barely hear him...

"where are these guys"... meaning you and Crist. This is very unprofessional he says to the sound guy..

Then you and Steve Crist come walking in Celebrity style.. and I saw Harvey give it to you just a bit....but didnt say a word to Crist.

I just thought it was funny.

I've said it before.. When Crist talks horse's he really holds a rooms attention. He throws nothing but strikes. And his two pieces on Saturday and Sunday in the DRF were nice too. I liked his line..."Tim Smith might want to get someone to start his car for him when he returns to Saratoga on Tuesday".. ( tomorrow).

I did the late breakfast at the Horse Shoe on Sunday so I did not catch your show.. But Saturdays show was great. When your holding court on Horses....its great entertainment....and education. You and Crist Together, opening weekend at the SPA! A grouchy Harvey Pak:D ... How can you beat it!!

Have a great meet, and congratulations again on the Times piece.

btw.. if your never not using that booth your pictured in... would this suck up post qualify me for a borrow???:lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Dude, you needed a suck up post just for what you hollered at Harvey and Co. last year....:lol:

delayjf
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
TLG,

Just curious, are you consided a member of the Press and as such get those seats for free or do you have to pay for them? All I have to say is, must be nice.

Suff
07-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Dude, you needed a suck up post just for what you hollered at Harvey and Co. last year....:lol:

And company?> I only hollered at Harvey...and I did'nt hollar!

Did I? You were'nt there...and you know how stories take on a life of thier own.

Later that day I was over at the SPA and a few people said "good goin"..:lol:

But I digress... yes.. I flapped my trap at the PAKmiester last year...and I regret it. I would tell the story...but I'd rather put it behind me. So thanks for exuming the body ( of evidence):confused: :kiss:

TurfRuler
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Asked how he fared financially during that time, Serling offered a one-word answer for each year in question. 1994? “O.K.” 1995? “Well.” 1996? “O.K.” 1997? “Lost.”

It's refreshing to hear a truth teller.

CryingForTheHorses
07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Features one of our esteemed posters...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/sports/othersports/30cheer.html

At Last! I now know what the person behind the keyboard looks like..Im impressed TLG..Good for you, Its very nice when you get noticed (again).Very nice story.Guess your not so bad after all!.Hope you hit another pick 6

the little guy
07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
TLG,

Just curious, are you consided a member of the Press and as such get those seats for free or do you have to pay for them? All I have to say is, must be nice.

What I like about this question ( or I should say series of questions ) is that you appear to already have your own answer for them...i.e " All I have to say is, must be nice ".

I am not a member of the Press and have never pretended to be. I get nothing for free from NYRA or any other racetrack as far as I can recall.

Sorry if that is not the answer you were looking for. Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts however.

the little guy
07-31-2006, 07:35 PM
At Last! I now know what the person behind the keyboard looks like..Im impressed TLG..Good for you, Its very nice when you get noticed (again).Very nice story.Guess your not so bad after all!.Hope you hit another pick 6

Thank you Tom....much appreciated.

And the same goes for others here with kind words.

Zaf
07-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Andy,

Enjoy listening to you on JJ's show. And it was nice meeting you at the spa last summer ! See you in August.

Z

JustRalph
07-31-2006, 09:51 PM
I didn't have to register to read it, this time.

Nice article Andy..........nice pic too!

andicap
07-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Nice story, Andy. Be great if there were more human interest stories about handicappers at the track and how we're just regular people and some ne'er- do-wells who can't pay the rent. That's what I liked best about the story -- it was humanizing.

I was surprised by one thing, however. I was under the impression you played the horses full-time, even outside of Saratoga. But of course you've never said so one way or the other so it's on me for leaping to a (wrong) conclusion.

KingChas
07-31-2006, 10:58 PM
And the same goes for others here with kind words.

TLG, I have the utmost respect for you.I know A.B. was bustin on you.(joking)
I figured I could sneak a couple quick low blows in jest.But I am very proud to have conversed with you and taken some heavy blows from you when I needed them. :faint: All in all I wish the best for you.
Can't wait to hear your views when I get to the Spa.
:ThmbUp: KC :ThmbUp:

KingChas
08-01-2006, 12:48 AM

Way off thread ....but? Are their any archives on this?

Is this why Suff got impeached from running the show? :eek:

Rico8812
08-01-2006, 02:16 AM
TLG,

Didn't you see how far he was from the finish line? He was slumming it in Section A.

Nice story littleguy.

Suff
08-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Is this why Suff got impeached from running the show? :eek:

Sort of.....:lol: :lol:

hey, I started the thing. almost what? 4 years ago? Ran it for 3 years.

These guys don't want to go Travers Week. That is my week. That's the week I'm going, and the week I have been going since I was a Kid.

Maybe I'll run it again...maybe I won't. We'll see how this crew handles it.
I can almost gaurantee you this....No one's going Jock's room, starting gate, Color room, Luxury Box's this year!!!....:lol:

Still, that's all fluff & pluff.... I'm close with some of the guys that are going and I wish them a great trip. I'll be sneaking up there one or two days that week.

Saratoga is one special place. I was thinking this weekend about Del-mar...and how the two summer meets are often compared. I can only say.. that if the left coast has what the East Coast has.. then they are some lucky sumbitch's. Because the Saratoga experience is almost to much to describe.

Sports Illustrated put it in its TOP TEN sporting destinations in the World? Country? ... I'd put it number one. Above even Fenway park.

Words cannot describe how wonderful Saratoga is.

I wish every race fan gets to Saratoga once in their lifetime.

Now.... back to Andy Serling's day in the Sun.

Tom
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Kinda nice segway....Last year, TLG and I had some "words" on the board.
I'm sitting at a table at Toga, and Suff walks up with this guy I don't know from Adam, and says, "Andy, this is Tom - he doesn't like you!

What an introduction! But, very glad to meet TLG and I know appreciate his insights into the game, but more than that, the subtleties of some of his posts!;)

Very nice article, glad to see a guy get some PR that dserves it - you gotta listen to this guy in person - he is good for the game.

delayjf
08-01-2006, 11:37 AM
TLG,

Actually, I just jealous as hell, my "it must be nice" comment was motivated by the fact that you're in Saratoga and I'm not. Looks like great seats to me. I assume season tickets there are hard to get and not cheap. It didn't seem like to far of a stretch to think you might write a column for somebody.

the little guy
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Actually, while I sit close to where that picture was taken, it is not the actual box I sit in. The photographer wanted to use a front row box because the lighting was better.

twindouble
08-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Is it me? I thought the write up sucked and didn't do you any justice. To say your " A know it all " and not get into any depth of your handicapping abilities or your over all knowlege about the game with the exception of how you did over a few years says to me it was a subtle put down. Maybe your friend Beyer didn't want to build you up to much and you took it as well meant. For those of us that have been privy to all your opinions, be it a rundown on a race or any subject race related, I thought it fell far short. Not blowing smoke here, you and I like many others have had dissigreements but I think I can reconize a true handicapper over the wannabe's or know it alls.

I think they had the year wrong (1993) on that pick 6 hit for $141 grand, that or you hand another sense. The personal back ground was just fine.

Another thing that got me was the good day you had at Saratoga and posted here on the Handicapping forum, three people responded to these results.

TLG picked 5 winners at the Siro Seminar today! He was hotter than the weather. :)

Cherokee Sheik - $6.40 - 3.70 - 2.10
Indian Flair - $2.90 - 2.40 - 2.10
Her Royal Nibs - $11.60 - 5.70 - 3.60
Birthday Song - $12.40 - 5.70 - 3.90
Pegs Prayer - $14.80 - 8.30 - 5.40

The above is another thing I respect, you didn't post it whereas a big mouth or a know it all would have. I was there to take in that pick 6 you posted prior to post on the forum. Dam good handicapping, if that happened in 1993, things are moving to fast for me, won't be around much longer. :confused:

Anyway good luck, I'm sure you'll disagree but that's how I took it. To say you are just "trying to pick winners" and just argumentative was another negitive to me.

For others that read this, sense I got into this game I've had no desire to mingle with public handicappers, the great majority would throw me off stride, besides it has shortened up enough over the years.

T.D.

ezpace
08-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Do you have any pint sized relation in OMAHA with a Jackie Gleason sized mouth..????

We got a clone ,, I swear... no option trader though.. bartender/Gambler wearing platform shoes..

Guys a real treasure.. Enjoy most of your passive* posts here.. LOL ;) :)

Indulto
08-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Is it me? I thought the write up sucked and didn't do you any justice. To say your " A know it all " and not get into any depth of your handicapping abilities or your over all knowlege about the game with the exception of how you did over a few years says to me it was a subtle put down. Maybe your friend Beyer didn't want to build you up to much and you took it as well meant. For those of us that have been privy to all your opinions, be it a rundown on a race or any subject race related, I thought it fell far short. Not blowing smoke here, you and I like many others have had dissigreements but I think I can reconize a true handicapper over the wannabe's or know it alls.TD,
tlg may have to hire you as his press agent, because it took your post to finally make me login to the "NY Times."

You've heard of "the pause that refreshes" and "the phrase that pays"? Well you've just introduced "the praise that betrays."

It was too effective to be unintentional, you spinmeister, you. :lol:

Indulto
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Is it me? I thought the write up sucked and didn't do you any justice.TD,
Hope my poking fun didn't offend you. Just in case you wondered what my own reaction was to the NY Times article on tlg, it was initially that only the diminutive one's audience here at PA could enjoy the full impact of the author's perspective.

IMO the writer was indeed having fun at tlg's expense, but a) he made it clear it was a feel-good, human interest story, b) tlg's public image didn't suffer any, and c) the author apparently appreciates alliteration: "While waiting for the early editions of The Daily Racing Form, a gaggle of grizzled gamblers surrounded him on Broadway in Saratoga Springs, N.Y." My kind of guy. :D

tlg deserves credit for being a good sport about this article including Beyer's opportunity to poke fun. He also gets kudos for acknowledging Crist's amusing anonymous reference in "Exotic Betting." Most welcome, however, was witnessing similar grace in this thread when a non-celebrity did the poking.

twindouble
08-06-2006, 10:17 PM
TD,
Hope my poking fun didn't offend you. Just in case you wondered what my own reaction was to the NY Times article on tlg, it was initially that only the diminutive one's audience here at PA could enjoy the full impact of the author's perspective.

IMO the writer was indeed having fun at tlg's expense, but a) he made it clear it was a feel-good, human interest story, b) tlg's public image didn't suffer any, and c) the author apparently appreciates alliteration: "While waiting for the early editions of The Daily Racing Form, a gaggle of grizzled gamblers surrounded him on Broadway in Saratoga Springs, N.Y." My kind of guy. :D

tlg deserves credit for being a good sport about this article including Beyer's opportunity to poke fun. He also gets kudos for acknowledging Crist's amusing anonymous reference in "Exotic Betting." Most welcome, however, was witnessing similar grace in this thread when a non-celebrity did the poking.

Well put Indulto; Not offended at all.

Still in all, I don't think poking fun of someone in the New York Times is the place to do it. The audience is far from being "diminutive." Plus I felt with the exception of the personal back ground, Beyer got better press with the book and taking the kings throne. Hey, I had my mentors as well but it didn't take that long for them to consider me an equal. Sure to begin with they called me lucky and poked fun but in time they concluded it was more than luck. I gained their respect.

Anyway, maybe I'm all wet on this subject, besides it's the TLG's life and it won't change mine at all.

Good luck and thanks for responding.

T.D.

the little guy
08-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm a little confused here....

are you suggesting Beyer was knocking me and/or does NOT consider me AT LEAST an equal?

If that is what you think then ( and I guess you'll have to take my word on this ) I can assure you that you are wrong.

I offer no criticisms of the article and am deeply honored by it.

Dave
08-07-2006, 12:19 AM
for those of you too lazy to register but who want to read the article:

http://www.bugmenot.com/

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2006, 03:36 AM

You should be honored....it's not every day that the NYT writes a story about a horseplayer. For some reason, it's tough for certain people to simply state "way to go!"

twindouble
08-07-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm a little confused here....

are you suggesting Beyer was knocking me and/or does NOT consider me AT LEAST an equal?

If that is what you think then ( and I guess you'll have to take my word on this ) I can assure you that you are wrong.

If your happy with the write up, that's all counts. I was just expressing what I got out of it. Being wrong in this case doesn't rattle my cage. Anyway, what you think of yourself as a handicapper is more important. I'll leave it at that.

Good luck,

T.D.

Indulto
08-07-2006, 12:50 PM
... are you suggesting Beyer was knocking me and/or does NOT consider me AT LEAST an equal?

If that is what you think then ( and I guess you'll have to take my word on this ) I can assure you that you are wrong.tlg,
Are you suggesting Beyer may consider you his superior?

Way to go, tlg! :lol:

WJ47
08-10-2006, 03:35 AM
I loved the article! I was always intensely interested in horse racing as a young girl. Now I'm 37 and love racing more than ever. I could handicap all day long and never get tired of it. It really is like a crossword puzzle, nothing is more satisfying than solving the puzzle. When I was younger, I would spend hours and hours handicapping the races at NYRA and did very well. Now with three kids, a house to run, and an online business, I don't get to handicap as much as I'd like to. The kids are almost grown, my oldest son is almost 19 now, and I plan on really getting into racing more in a few years. My youngest son, Jason, is 13 and he is really interested in racing. He watches TVG with me all the time. I take him up to Fort Erie Racetrack, which is about 20 minutes away, and its alot of fun. It would make me proud if he becomes a great handicapper someday!

I have to agree that Picking Winners was the finest book ever written on handicapping. I wish Andy Beyer would write more books. I've probably read every book ever written on handicapping and none of them could compare with his books!

I've listened to some of the shows online and TLG is an incredible handicapper. And very entertaining to listen to, a great personality! I remember once on DRF board, he posted a horse named Naveah and I made a nice score! :)

I have a question for TLG. Have you ever considered going to work at TVG? You'd blow their handicappers away!

I'm so jealous of everyone at Saratoga too! :) I'd love to go there one year. I'm in a suburb of Buffalo, NY. I really wanted to go this year, but decided to go back to college instead! I actually did visit Saratoga Springs once about 10 years ago, but not during racing season. Its a beautiful area!