View Full Version : Mullins is Whining! says he will quit

JustRalph
07-29-2006, 09:50 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34618

Mullins Awaits Split-Sample Results; Barns Searched
by Margaret Ransom
Date Posted: 7/29/2006 1:38:34 PM
Last Updated: 7/29/2006 2:02:04 PM

Trainer Jeff Mullins awaiting test results.
http://channels.bloodhorse.com/images/content/JeffMullinsAP.jpg

Trainer Jeff Mullins said he was informed by the California Horse Racing Board that one of the horses in his care, Robs Coin, tested positive for a prohibited amount of the anesthetic mepivacaine, and that he is awaiting the results of split-sample tests.
Robs Coin finished second in a $40,000 claiming race at a mile on the turf July 8 at Hollywood Park. The 43-year-old conditioner, who was the leading trainer at the recently concluded Hollywood Park meet, said he was informed of the positive when CHRB investigators arrived to search his Del Mar barn.

"I was (notified of the overage) when they searched the barn (July 27)," Mullins said. "They searched both of my barns--here and at Santa Anita."

Mullins said he was shocked by the post-race test, which he said revealed the presence of 30 nanograms of mepivacaine per milliliter of urine on Robs Coin. California regulations allow up to 10 nanograms per milliliter on race day.

"(Robs Coin) never even needed ice," Mullins said. "He never had a joint tapped or injected. We had him for three races and he never had anything except Bute and Lasix (the anti-bleeder medication now known as Salix)."

see the rest at the link

DrugSalvastore
07-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Over the last few years---we've had Dutrow Jr., Pletcher, Assmussen, and now Jeff Mullins all test positive for Mepivicaine.

All four of them powerhouse trainers....some would call them super trainers.

I wonder how many, if any, lower profile trainers have had bad tests for Mepivicaine.

bigmack
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
I wonder how many, if any, lower profile trainers have had bad tests for Mepivicaine.
Sounds like you have a theory - care to share?

kenwoodallpromos
07-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Right or wrong, he should know his comments are not going to help. I am surprised he is threatening the CHRB to "quit". Doesn't he have asst to keep running his horses?
Tom Schell does not and he got the royal treatment awhile back, searching, as a warning not to do anything is my guess.
Unless someone ratted him out, CHRB is fishing by searching both barns.
I very seldom remember if at all a trainer admitting wrongdoing prior to the final outcome. Calm down Jeff. Thou dost protest too much!

kenwoodallpromos
07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
"http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=64171&subsec=1"
This link is from July 1, about the CHRB working on more uniform rules. Shapiro says in the article that uneven enforcement is possible. Perhaps Mullins will use that to try to get a softer punishment.

ELA
07-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I agree that there are cases that are not black and white. However, there should be checks and balances in order to insure that the process has integrity. If not, than you automatically defeat the purpose.

If two trainers come up positive for the same drug, at the same levels, and both are first time offenders -- if one is Jeff Mullins, Scott Lake, Rick Dutrow, etc., and the other is Joe Schmoe -- same penalty! There cannot be double standards or different sets of rules and enforcements.

I have been a proponent of uniform medication rules, zero tolerance, etc. However, a first time offender with a positive test for clenbuterol should not be thrown out of the business.

Eric

kenwoodallpromos
07-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Beginning in 2004, at DM, SA, and HOL, Mullins was found in violation of medication rules total twice, not for this med, and fined $300 each time. He also has a violation for failing to obey an official vet, fined $100. No suspension any of those 3 times.
The title of this thread isvery suitable!

stlseeeek
07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
i guess 40% first off the claim wasn't really a change in training. better syringes and shakes.

the top trainers are always 10 steps ahead of the testers. i wouldn't doubt if growth hormones(if they actually would help?) are being used(which are untestable) but who knows.

humans and $$$ always lead to scams,scandals, and cheating. shame, shame, shame

Tom
07-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey Mullins - bye bye.
Someone tell me the game would not be better off without him in it, as well a few others.

KingChas
07-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Mullins said his attorney, Neil Papiano, would handle the case, but that if he's not vindicated, he's considering quitting training altogether

Later Jeff, Bon Voyage! :lol:

Valuist
07-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Over the last few years---we've had Dutrow Jr., Pletcher, Assmussen, and now Jeff Mullins all test positive for Mepivicaine.

All four of them powerhouse trainers....some would call them super trainers.

This is the opposite of baseball, where 98% of the players who test positive for steroids are either no-names or minor leaguers.

I take it your theory is this is probably a very expensive medication, and only the high profile guys can afford it. Haven't seen many of the 30% club at Evangeline or Prairie Meadows. I think there probably is something to this theory.

Dan Montilion
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I understand Barry Bonds needs a new trainer.

shanta
07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Hey Mullins - bye bye.
Someone tell me the game would not be better off without him in it, as well a few others.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Indulto
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey Mullins - bye bye.
Someone tell me the game would not be better off without him in it, as well a few others.Tom,
The game would certainly be better off without Mullins' mouth. I'm surprised that his very successful owners don't have a PR person/bodyguard accompany him every waking hour to run interference with the press and the CHRB.

As to his "magic," I would be more comfortable if any proof was overwhelmingly convincing. On another board, there is continual speculation that a certain vet is "Dr. Feelgood" for the barns of Frankel, Pletcher, and Dutrow. Yet I've never seen a word about any related allegations or investigations in the press.

In some ways Mullins' success speaks for itself. Both he and O'Neil (who also recently tested positve for something) have proven they are able to work within the expanded racing schedules, destructive racing surfaces, and questionable breeding that typifies today's game.

Maybe somebody should check out whether Mullin's and O'Neil's horses break down more or less frequently than other winning trainers as well as trainers as a whole. Mullin's winners' payoffs are generally better than O'Neils. I'd love to see the betting records of several Mullins' owners.

Although I regard certain of those owners as the epitome of inside information beneficiaries, I begrudgingly admire Mullin's skill and stubbornness. ;)

linrom1
07-30-2006, 04:41 PM
:jump: :jump: :jump:

Indulto
07-30-2006, 05:01 PM
:jump: :jump: :jump:L1,
Please specify whose opinion your were referring to and whether it was positive or negative. I can't risk assuming anyone might agree with me these days. :D

CryingForTheHorses
07-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Right or wrong, he should know his comments are not going to help. I am surprised he is threatening the CHRB to "quit". Doesn't he have asst to keep running his horses?
Tom Schell does not and he got the royal treatment awhile back, searching, as a warning not to do anything is my guess.
Unless someone ratted him out, CHRB is fishing by searching both barns.
I very seldom remember if at all a trainer admitting wrongdoing prior to the final outcome. Calm down Jeff. Thou dost protest too much!

Royal Treatment??????

cj
07-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Gee, it would certainly break my heart if he quit. Is this guy for real? Good riddance, Jeff. Good luck finding a new job where idiots pay your salary while you continuously get caught cheating.

kenwoodallpromos
07-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Royal Treatment??????
I meant like uneeded attention bordering on undeserved suspicion, like Blair gets when he goes to speak in the parliament.

Indulto
07-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Gee, it would certainly break my heart if he quit. Is this guy for real? Good riddance, Jeff. Good luck finding a new job where idiots pay your salary while you continuously get caught cheating.CJ,
Remember, the infamous "L.A. Times" article? According to Mullins, the "idiots" are those who try to bet on horses without inside information. :(

CryingForTheHorses
07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I meant like uneeded attention bordering on undeserved suspicion, like Blair gets when he goes to speak in the parliament.

Undeserved suspicion???..What are you talking about??..Please define your post!!

kenwoodallpromos
07-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Undeserved suspicion???..What are you talking about??..Please define your post!!
_
I thought I remembered at one time you said at one track stewards stopped you to test horses and they searched your stable.

CryingForTheHorses
07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
_
I thought I remembered at one time you said at one track stewards stopped you to test horses and they searched your stable.

I have run 60 times during the last year..I have been Milkshake tested at least 10 times during the last year.These tests for a certain race are randonly picked .When they do Milkshake test you,THEY test all the horses in that race. MY stable has never ever been searched for anything...I do wish you would get your facts straight before you post for the whole world to see..Thanks in advance

PaceAdvantage
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, you figure Ken Wood would have at least used the SEARCH function to see exactly what you might have said about the incident, as I too remember you commenting about your horses being tested, but I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about a search. That was irresponsible....

Niko
07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
CJ,
Remember, the infamous "L.A. Times" article? According to Mullins, the "idiots" are those who try to bet on horses without inside information. :(

But he's not "guilty" of anything. Nobody is :liar: . Same as in prison.
Karma, Karma...

I still like the article of the trainer (can't remember the name) who peaked into Mullins stall through a hole and was squirted with a syringe...funny stuff

linrom1
07-31-2006, 01:44 PM
L1,
Please specify whose opinion your were referring to and whether it was positive or negative. I can't risk assuming anyone might agree with me these days. :D

It's good to hear that Mullins is considering leaving the game. :jump:

kenwoodallpromos
07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
"Im Shocked!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I think is way of base,I have my horses at the training center beside Calder. Calder makes me bring my horse thu the gate from the training center by 1030am on the day of the race, Doesnt matter if its 300pm postime, What I dont get is how do they think you can milkshake a horse in their receiving barn? I got my horse ready for his race,I was in race 10..I took him out at the 2nd call to walk him around ready to leave on the 3rd call..Low and behold, Here comes the state vet running toward me and I look behind me and there is 4 securty guards rushing up behind me..stopped me cold in the shed, Took my horse and jammed a needle in him...I was utterly shocked...They were testing for milkshakes...Geeze I have only run 4 horses and just because this certain horse ran and got beat a lip at 7-1 his last start after not hitting the board in a year!! , I guess they think Im some sort of " Juice" trainer..My poor horse got shookup over this procedure and Im told the "Track president" picked who gets tested.I am also told that the majority of horses tested for milkshakes are from the training center.I think they are way off base!"
TOM SCHELL AND MCSCHELL RACING IS ALWAYS HONEST AND ABOVE BOARD IN ALL MATTERS!

CryingForTheHorses
07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
"Im Shocked!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I think is way of base,I have my horses at the training center beside Calder. Calder makes me bring my horse thu the gate from the training center by 1030am on the day of the race, Doesnt matter if its 300pm postime, What I dont get is how do they think you can milkshake a horse in their receiving barn? I got my horse ready for his race,I was in race 10..I took him out at the 2nd call to walk him around ready to leave on the 3rd call..Low and behold, Here comes the state vet running toward me and I look behind me and there is 4 securty guards rushing up behind me..stopped me cold in the shed, Took my horse and jammed a needle in him...I was utterly shocked...They were testing for milkshakes...Geeze I have only run 4 horses and just because this certain horse ran and got beat a lip at 7-1 his last start after not hitting the board in a year!! , I guess they think Im some sort of " Juice" trainer..My poor horse got shookup over this procedure and Im told the "Track president" picked who gets tested.I am also told that the majority of horses tested for milkshakes are from the training center.I think they are way off base!"
TOM SCHELL AND MCSCHELL RACING IS ALWAYS HONEST AND ABOVE BOARD IN ALL MATTERS!

Thankyou Ken..I have run 13 times this year and am 2-5-4 with 1 horse finishing 4th and 1 out of the money. As a small trainer I dont need anyone thinking Im not a professional in what I do.