PDA

View Full Version : and I thought the Never Ending Story was for kids

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
U.S. may send 5,000 more troops to Baghdad

Homecoming delayed for thousands as military tries to stem Iraq violence

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - As many as 5,000 additional U.S. troops with armored vehicles and tanks will be sent into Baghdad under a plan being developed by military commanders to stem escalating violence in the Iraqi capital, defense officials say.

The plan by commanders in Iraq, which has not been finalized, could bring the total number of U.S. troops there to 134,000, if all are deployed. It also would call into question whether the Pentagon could significantly reduce troop levels in Iraq by year’s end as commanders had hoped.

kenwoodallpromos
07-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Any info on troop levels in the rest of Iraq?

sq764
07-29-2006, 01:02 PM
U.S. may send 5,000 more troops to Baghdad

Homecoming delayed for thousands as military tries to stem Iraq violence

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - As many as 5,000 additional U.S. troops with armored vehicles and tanks will be sent into Baghdad under a plan being developed by military commanders to stem escalating violence in the Iraqi capital, defense officials say.

The plan by commanders in Iraq, which has not been finalized, could bring the total number of U.S. troops there to 134,000, if all are deployed. It also would call into question whether the Pentagon could significantly reduce troop levels in Iraq by year’s end as commanders had hoped.
I thought the never ending story was about the Democratic party losing on election day.

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 01:13 PM
the lateral arabesque. The peter principle guy would be proud of you.

Indulto
07-29-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought the never ending story was about the Democratic party losing on election day.SQ,
The never ending story is the Iraqi PM taking time away from solving his own overwhelming problems to denounce Israel.

My initial reaction was: How many more American military personnel are going to be sacrificed without imminent danger to the U.S.? Why do we want to incur more casualties to save people from killing eachother who wanted to kill us even before the Isreali action against Lebanon and still do?

Upon further reflection, perhaps this is the excuse the U.S. needs to start getting more troops into the M.E. to support a combined U.S.-Israeli action against Iran. And even if it isn't, the pro-Muslim faction will insist that it is.

And what other non-Muslim nations would support such action taken without the threat of imminent danger to the U.S. and/or themselves? I guess that's another never ending story.

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Bush himself, on more than one occasion, has told reporters he does not read their work and prefers to live inside the information bubble blown by his loyal minions. Vice President Cheney feels free to kick the New York Times off his press plane, and John Ashcroft can refuse to speak with any print reporters during his Patriot-Act-a-palooza publicity tour, just to compliant local TV. As an unnamed Bush official told reporter Ron Suskind, "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality--judiciously, as you will--we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do." For those who didn't like it, another Bush adviser explained, "Let me clue you in. We don't care. You see, you're outnumbered two to one by folks in the big, wide middle of America, busy working people who don't read the New York Times or Washington Post or the LA Times."

Snag
07-29-2006, 02:46 PM
46, do you really believe anyone acknowledges your "unnamed Bush official" and "another Bush adviser" as a valid quote?

If you really want to slam someone, you might try naming the people you are quoting. I could type all day and name and quote stupid stuff because, when you do that, no one takes you seriously.

Tom
07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
If the originator of a quote is not willing to stand and talke credit for it, why should anyone lend any credence to the quote itself?
The babbling of cowards gets you nowhere.

kenwoodallpromos
07-29-2006, 03:39 PM
If the originator of a quote is not willing to stand and talke credit for it, why should anyone lend any credence to the quote itself?
The babbling of cowards gets you nowhere.
_____--
Maybe it was the same originator of the quote about Valerie being "under cover"- the press!

sq764
07-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Bush himself, on more than one occasion, has told reporters he does not read their work and prefers to live inside the information bubble blown by his loyal minions. Vice President Cheney feels free to kick the New York Times off his press plane, and John Ashcroft can refuse to speak with any print reporters during his Patriot-Act-a-palooza publicity tour, just to compliant local TV. As an unnamed Bush official told reporter Ron Suskind, "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality--judiciously, as you will--we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do." For those who didn't like it, another Bush adviser explained, "Let me clue you in. We don't care. You see, you're outnumbered two to one by folks in the big, wide middle of America, busy working people who don't read the New York Times or Washington Post or the LA Times."
Will you please stop making shit up? you're wasting everyone's time here..

When you post something remotely factual, let everyone know, until then....

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Will you please stop making shit up? you're wasting everyone's time here..

When you post something remotely factual, let everyone know, until then....

did not make a thing up.....if I did I would label this brain dead rutabaga with harsher language than that. The most out of touch idiot in public life since another great repug Warren G. Harding.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050509/alterman

was the source of that quote.

more good stuff, same souce.
It's true, as I show in my book When Presidents Lie: A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences, that many presidents have demonstrated an almost allergic reaction to accuracy. Still, the Bush Administration manages to set a new standard here as well, reducing reality to a series of inconvenient obstacles to be ignored in favor of ideological prejudices and political imperatives--and it has done so virtually across the entire executive branch. As Michael Kinsley noted way back in April 2002, "What's going on here is something like lying by reflex.... Bush II administration lies are often so laughably obvious that you wonder why they bother. Until you realize: They haven't bothered. If telling the truth was less bother, they'd try that too."

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 06:16 PM
or
"those found guilty of deception did not mind the one-day story that would result demonstrating them to be liars any more than Vice President Cheney minded the fact that a videotape existed of him claiming on Meet the Press that the alleged Prague meeting between Mohammed Atta and an Iraqi intelligence official had been "pretty well confirmed" when he twice insisted, also on videotape, that he "never said that." And the political calculation turned out to be a good one. It was left to The Daily Show to run the two tapes of Cheney together. Reporters may have been angry at being lied to, but they returned the next day to swallow some more."

sq764
07-29-2006, 06:19 PM
did not make a thing up.....if I did I would label this brain dead rutabaga with harsher language than that. The most out of touch idiot in public life since another great repug Warren G. Harding.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050509/alterman

was the source of that quote.

more good stuff, same souce.
It's true, as I show in my book When Presidents Lie: A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences, that many presidents have demonstrated an almost allergic reaction to accuracy. Still, the Bush Administration manages to set a new standard here as well, reducing reality to a series of inconvenient obstacles to be ignored in favor of ideological prejudices and political imperatives--and it has done so virtually across the entire executive branch. As Michael Kinsley noted way back in April 2002, "What's going on here is something like lying by reflex.... Bush II administration lies are often so laughably obvious that you wonder why they bother. Until you realize: They haven't bothered. If telling the truth was less bother, they'd try that too."
Son, you have got to stop warping your mind with this one sided opinionated drivel. You're beyond hopeless at this point.

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 06:23 PM
those who stand by this clown are the same ones who go to see "little Johnny" march with the troops and do not recognize his being out of step and remark: "Why are ALL THOSE OTHER GUYS out of step?"

Hey I have an idea, Why don't you go over there and get wasted like the rest of those poor guys?

sq764
07-29-2006, 06:29 PM
those who stand by this clown are the same ones who go to see "little Johnny" march with the troops and do not recognize his being out of step and remark: "Why are ALL THOSE OTHER GUYS out of step?"

Hey I have an idea, Why don't you go over there and get wasted like the rest of those poor guys?
Well, I think multiple military men on this board can attest otherwise to their loyalties while being over there..

You seem like a massive coward to me, period. I saw TNT is showing '9 to 5' this week, you can watch your hero Jane one more time..

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 06:29 PM
"Two cheers for democracy," wrote E.M. Forster, "one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism." But the aim of the Bush offensive against the press is to do just the opposite; to insure, as far as possible, that only one voice is heard and that no criticism is sanctioned. The press may be the battleground, but the target is democracy itself.

sq764
07-29-2006, 06:32 PM

You know, I always wonder why people like you stay in this great country. All you do is bitch about the government and you lessen the admiral job our soldiers do for this country by speculating that they don't want to be there.

The next time you see a guy in the military, do yourself a favor and simply thank him. I am sure a lot of people here would love to see you spout out your mindless drivel to them and end up getting knocked on your ass, but I will be nice and advise you of the former.

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 06:34 PM
anger always degenerates into threats of physical violence for having a differing point of view. You are no exception. A friend of yours characterized you that way

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2006, 01:02 AM
"Two cheers for democracy," wrote E.M. Forster, "one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism." But the aim of the Bush offensive against the press is to do just the opposite; to insure, as far as possible, that only one voice is heard and that no criticism is sanctioned. The press may be the battleground, but the target is democracy itself.

The Never Ending Story can also apply to your perpetual stream of baloney followed with heaping spoonfuls of "spin" topped by sprinkles of "dodge".

Did you just come to the end of your checklist and decide to start again from the top? Then again, we are in the summer rerun period, so maybe that's why you are recycling your cut and paste jobs.

We know. You think Bush sucks. We get it. We also know that people die while serving in the military, especially in times of armed conflict. We get that too.

Thanks for the news flashes...