PDA

View Full Version : Tour De France Winner Fails Drug Test

sq764
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
You have got to be kidding me.. He was a local PA boy too.. From hero to total disgrace..

Valuist
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I've heard that cycling's drug problems are about 10 times worse than MLB and horse racing.

sq764
07-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I've heard that cycling's drug problems are about 10 times worse than MLB and horse racing.
Makes me wonder if Lance got out just in time..

JPinMaryland
07-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I wonder if someone can have unusual high levels of testosterone w/o taking drugs? I have hard time believing Floyd has cheated I guess.

The thing that was suspicious about Lance was a couple of years ago when one of his rivals went out on break away and Lance personally had to catch up with the leaders and tell them this guy has to go back to the peloton. Lance and this guy had been having a running feud that turned into a lawsuit about allegations of drug use. during the race and after the entire peloton supported Lance, right down to the last man, like he was a heor.

Now thing that was suspicious is how come in any sport where there is a controversy you can never get people to agree on who was right. Even Terrel Owens and Donovan McNabb, there were those who supported McNabb. or when Rodman kicked that guy in the balls, there were guys who said the camerman was faking it, etc.

But not the peloton, they backed Lance 100%; even though in theory Lance should be the guy they hate the most. he is winning the thing every year, why are they so buddy buddy with him all of a sudden?

RobinFromIreland
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm a big cycling fan but what Floyd did on Stage 17 after what happened on Stage 16 was ... surprising.

A good article on the difficulties of testing doping in sports ...

http://www.arthurdevany.com/archives/2006/06/mark_sisson_on.html

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2006, 03:49 PM
So 3 USA cyclists have dominated the tour in the past few years- Lance they tried to kick when cancer struck, now they are trashing Floyd with his hip.
I say USA is better than France on USA's worst day!

Cesario!
07-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I share JP's question -- I don't know the first thing about body chemistry, but is it possible that the high levels could occur naturally? The guy put out the best cycling performance ever in that stage -- maybe he was just really pumped up?

sq764
07-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't know the first thing about body chemistry, but is it possible that the high levels could occur naturally? The guy put out the best cycling performance ever in that stage -- maybe he was just really pumped up?
Yeah, maybe Bonds, Mcgwire and Sosa just got naturally big :-)

JPinMaryland
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
apparently the levels are so high they dont think it is an error. I suppose they set the levels on these tests to account for natural variances...At least I would hope they do.

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I heard the final of the tests are not done.

JPinMaryland
07-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Landis sounds really sincere though, they played his news conference a little while ago. He has always sounded straightforwarded, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt so far.

the_fat_man
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I share JP's question -- I don't know the first thing about body chemistry, but is it possible that the high levels could occur naturally? The guy put out the best cycling performance ever in that stage -- maybe he was just really pumped up?

Let me get this straight:

1) Landis BONKS BIGTIME in the mountains during stage 16, losing the yellow jersey and probably the tour itself, by all reasonable accounts

2) he meets up with his teamates after the race;
they have a few beers at a pub and then retire to a hotel room where they proceed to down a bottle of Jack Daniels ---nice way to recover

3) he gets up the next day and puts in a fantastic run in the alps ---a 70+km SOLO breakaway UPHILL, pushing HIGHER gear than his competitors, with some suckup from another team on his wheel for the entire 70km and then is able to DROP the SUCKUP and coast to the wire ---yeah, that's typical

A couple of uncharacteristic events:

usually the peloton reels in breakaways, especially small ones (in terms of participants).
could be that the rest of the field was tired from the previous day's climbing
stranger things have happened but doubtful

roadies are PUNKS by nature!!! they never push big gears (except DOWNHILL) it's all about pushing baby gears, sucking up, and intimidation.

He had to be loaded up

don't buy it

go to your local park and try to break away from a group of cyclists going uphill

see how easily they reel you in

P.S. crossing from the evident to the absurd:

TYLER HAMILTON, currently suspended for 2 years for doping, and who was one of the cyclists implicated in that recent Spanish Doping Doctor thing, is STILL MAINTAINING his innocence :lol::lol:

Now, that's funny shit

JPinMaryland
07-30-2006, 12:29 AM
my money is on Landis to be vindicated..

sq764
07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
my money is on Landis to be vindicated..
Well considering the sprinter just got nailed for the exact same thing, that does not bode well for his innocence

the_fat_man
07-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Well considering the sprinter just got nailed for the exact same thing, that does not bode well for his innocence

Not having all the facts (or basic knowledge in a given area)
never stopped JP from venturing an opinion in the past :lol:

so

why would he start now? :ThmbUp:

JPinMaryland
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
it's a world of imperfect knowledge, but I have a hunch..

ceejay
08-01-2006, 10:54 AM
The Times seems to have another hunch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/sports/othersports/01landis.html?ref=othersports
Tests performed on the cyclist Floyd Landis’s initial urine sample showed that some of the testosterone in his body had come from an external source and was not produced by his system, according to a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the results.

That finding contradicts what Landis has claimed in his defense since the disclosure last week that he had tested positive for an elevated ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone during the Tour de France.

sq764
08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Makes you wonder how Lance got through all the tests unscathed

Valuist
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
How about this sprinter's excuse......some mean spirited masseuse rubbed testosterone all over him; of course with him not knowing what it was. That's almost as believable as Barry Bonds rubbing on the "clear" and the "creme", which he had absolutely no way of knowing they were illegal :rolleyes:

After all, who would expect a professional athlete to know what they are ingesting into their bodies?

I think Lance got out in time.

sq764
08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
How about this sprinter's excuse......some mean spirited masseuse rubbed testosterone all over him; of course with him not knowing what it was. That's almost as believable as Barry Bonds rubbing on the "clear" and the "creme", which he had absolutely no way of knowing they were illegal :rolleyes:

After all, who would expect a professional athlete to know what they are ingesting into their bodies?

I think Lance got out in time.
Lance, Mcgwire, Sosa all got out in time

PlanB
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Cyclists and runners and swimmers get the highest tech tests done.
Baseball players and football players get run of the mill tests done that
can be faked.

sq764
08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Cyclists and runners and swimmers get the highest tech tests done.
Baseball players and football players get run of the mill tests done that
can be faked.
They must not fake them very well in baseball, becuase there has been over 70 guys caught and suspended.

JPinMaryland
08-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Landis's second test is due back on Sat. so maybe we'll know more. what drug is the high testosterone level suppoed to indicate?

RobinFromIreland
08-05-2006, 07:25 AM
2nd test tests positive. Landis sacked by Phonak team.

Hosshead
08-05-2006, 08:24 AM
They must not fake them very well in baseball, becuase there has been over 70 guys caught and suspended.Not the sharpest tools in the shed.
However, you hardly ever hear of anyone on the chess team getting caught !

Pace Cap'n
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Not the sharpest tools in the shed.
!

Baseball players' mental capacity is far superior to football players, a fact easily demonstrated. Have you ever heard of a baseball team penalized for having too many men on the field?

And actually, they are now drug testing chess players at the higher levels for concentration-improving drugs such as Adderall.

bigmack
08-05-2006, 12:01 PM
http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-08-05-voa10.cfm

The case will now be referred to the United States Doping Agency, which could take several weeks to ultimately decide the matter

I knew there were alot of agencies but a Doping Agency

Hosshead
08-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Baseball players' mental capacity is far superior to football players,...

Not the ones who get caught !

bigmack
08-16-2006, 08:21 PM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/15289732.htm

& yes it was suicide