PDA

View Full Version : Just Say NO

Tom
07-26-2006, 07:24 PM
I just got this - will post some review by the end of the week.
Looks pretty good from my gisting.
But then, so do some chicks at last call! :eek::D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159327064X/002-4314411-2856057?v=glance&n=283155

michiken
07-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I said no to m$ on my home computer a long time ago... Now if I could just get my work to do it..

I can't wait for your detailed review.

JustRalph
07-26-2006, 11:08 PM
there is only one problem with the anti msofties......... they don't realize what their time is worth...............

The regular public joe is not going to be able to run the freeware stuff without learning everything all over. Spending tons of time trying to find software, drivers etc..........it takes time.............and a learning curve.

I admit the stuff works better, when it works. It fails less often, but when there is a problem.........it is harder to solve.

Now, how about that new printer or scanner that doesn't have drivers for Linux etc? What now? The regular public joe is not going to go searching for that driver or whatever......... unless he is highly motivated.......and most aren't. take my word for it.........

michiken
07-27-2006, 07:24 PM
While i agree that Joe Average will not even have a clue what a driver is.... WE smarter people will have to teach them LOL.

Linux has come a long way concerning drivers and hardware detection. One of the best distributions out there is Ubuntu Linux (http://www.ubuntu.com/) (Click on the desktop link).

I suggest to those brave enough to download the Live CD.

You can burn it to disk and run the entire operating system without having to install to the hard drive.

Their forum and online help has many instructions to get you started.

JustRalph
07-27-2006, 09:50 PM
While i agree that Joe Average will not even have a clue what a driver is.... WE smarter people will have to teach them LOL.

Linux has come a long way concerning drivers and hardware detection. One of the best distributions out there is Ubuntu Linux (http://www.ubuntu.com/) (Click on the desktop link).

I suggest to those brave enough to download the Live CD.

You can burn it to disk and run the entire operating system without having to install to the hard drive.

Their forum and online help has many instructions to get you started.

I will check it out. I haven't run anything but windows for a while. thanks for the info.

robert99
07-28-2006, 07:20 PM
there is only one problem with the anti msofties......... they don't realize what their time is worth...............

The regular public joe is not going to be able to run the freeware stuff without learning everything all over. Spending tons of time trying to find software, drivers etc..........it takes time.............and a learning curve.

I admit the stuff works better, when it works. It fails less often, but when there is a problem.........it is harder to solve.

Now, how about that new printer or scanner that doesn't have drivers for Linux etc? What now? The regular public joe is not going to go searching for that driver or whatever......... unless he is highly motivated.......and most aren't. take my word for it.........

JR,

As said above, things have moved on greatly in the Linux world.
The freeware stuff runs for the user much the same way as Windows programs. There are Mb of software provided with each distro download or CD. So no need to look very far. The software is not sold on from company to company until no one is left with a clue as to its original coding.

Linux distros already have drivers for most everything. Enterprise sellers provide a cheap PC with Linux only pre-installed and the new user has an enjoyable, stress free PC experience from then on. Each new Windows version gives problems with old version drivers or does not support people's legacy equipment and sometimes not their software investment.

If you get a Linux problem you can get internet replies by very knowledgeable and helpful people - it may be easier to get a working solution than anything from Windows which is often just guesswork and elimination as to what he problem is. Agree, most users do not want the aggravation but they get it all the same when their PC crashes and the help line says they should reinstall Windows etc each time (losing all their data) or when they download some Windows malware which wrecks their PC. They then spend a small fortune and hundreds of hours scanning for viruses and other pests to keep the machine running.

Meanwhile Linux works and works and works which is why it is used on reliability critical applications such as servers.