PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Sprint follies

linrom1
07-25-2006, 09:54 PM
While some have already pointed out that race tracks contribute to wreaking of the breed by carding too many races at shorter distances that emphasize speed, the opening day’s race card tomorrow at beautiful Saratoga resembles more of “bullring” racing than what one would expect at the top race track in the country. Only ONE race is carded at a distance greater than a mile, and only two races out 10 are even routes: the remaining eight races are all sprints.

Since this was quite a surprise to me, I went back to opening day all the way to 2001, and found out that fewest number of route races was in 2005 and 2001, where only 4 were carded respectively; however, in 2005 all 4 route races were at least 1 1/8m and in 2001, 3 out 4 route races were at least 1 1/16m. In 2002-2004 there were at least 5 route races carded each year. So what happened this year in 2006?

The answer to this question is obvious. Management change. Unfortunately, NYRA is run a by bunch of amateurs who appear to know as much about running a racetrack as most politicians know about integrity. The present racing secretary couldn’t probably run a hot dog stand!

Sorry, but, NYRA is becoming even a bigger joke than Frank Stomach. Someone please save it, before it financially collapses and goes out of business.

Rico8812
07-25-2006, 10:48 PM
How much do you want to bet that NYRA runs a higher percentage of route races at the old spa this year than any other magna track in the country.

Name your odds and I'll take it.

Its not even the first day and you're already bitching. Must suck being such a miserable person.

linrom1
07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
How much do you want to bet that NYRA runs a higher percentage of route races at the old spa this year than any other magna track in the country.

Name your odds and I'll take it.

Its not even the first day and you're already bitching. Must suck being such a miserable person.

Great, I am happy that you like SAR program. :D

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Sorry, but, NYRA is becoming even a bigger joke than Frank Stomach. Someone please save it, before it financially collapses and goes out of business.

I'm afraid it may be too late. They were on the brink of bankruptcy only a short time ago, and the franchise date looms just over the horizon.

Spitzer and Co. have sucked as much as they can out of NYRA while still leaving a barely functioning corpse behind to run the show until they can decide which of their big time donors gets the franchise in 2008....

In the end, whoever is awarded the franchise is going to have to run racing in the same exact manner as NYRA for at least quite some time. There is no way the politicians are going to change the status quo overnight. Does anyone really think the regional NY OTBs are going to go quietly into that good night and just accept a merge into whomever is running the franchise? I don't think so....

And that's just half the battle.