PDA

View Full Version : Pick 3 PLayers that do NOT use software

sq764
07-25-2006, 08:27 PM
..are there any out there?

If so, do usally have the card or cards capped before you get to the track? Or at least have the races pegged that you are going to focus on?

I am at my best when I am old school capping, but at simo I find myself scrambling at times to put together my pick 3 wagers.

Just curious how everyone else does it.

Dave
07-25-2006, 09:55 PM
I definitely try to get the bulk of my handicapping done prior to post, and I don't play a lot of tracks.
I like to know ahead of time which races I might play, and pretty much ignore the rest --- just because they have rolling p3's doesn't mean you have to play them all.
if you're just throwing money on races for the action, you might as well play scratch tickets or quick picks.

generally, I just use the old standard of looking for value whenever I play multirace gimmicks.
I don't want to spread in every race, and I want to knock out a solid chalk.
if I don't have an opinion on one leg, I either pass the p3, or will play a big spread if I have strong opinions on the other 2 legs.

I really don't focus in on any specific gimmick --- just bet the races according to my opinions.

Bubbles
07-25-2006, 10:40 PM
I try to handicap as many races as possible before the doors to the place even open. I wait a few races to try a pick 3 or two, to try to find biases and/or hit other wagers in order to bankroll a wider ticket.

point given
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
..are there any out there?

If so, do usally have the card or cards capped before you get to the track? Or at least have the races pegged that you are going to focus on?

I am at my best when I am old school capping, but at simo I find myself scrambling at times to put together my pick 3 wagers.

Just curious how everyone else does it.

Yes, you must do your homework to do well on the test. DUH. Also , it is better to concentrate on 2 tracks if you want to play multiple tracks. Any more than that , you cannot follow . While on track i will only play the live card, but if it is a weak card, i will do another track as well for the lulls. For P3's you need to find a good sequence where you can beat at least 2 of the 3 races favorites. It also helps to get a good price on the first leg of the wager. Although i havenot read it yet, it sounds like you would benefit by reading the new Steve Crist book on exotic betting as well. Good luck to you !

StartedAt18
07-26-2006, 09:06 AM
My opinions always sound crazy on this forum lol.

There are different ways I play pick 3's. I like to sometimes handicap two consecutive races, pick 2 horses in each of those races and tap that all button for the last leg. I don't like pick 2 winners in a row for nothin!

If there is a lock in the race.. example.. lava man. I'll end the pick 3 with just that horse and put some BS on the 1st 2 legs.

If I ever start a race with a favorite, there has to be a lot of horse in the next 2 legs or else I"m just not playing the pick 3. Anyone can hit favorite with all/all in 5-6-7 horse fields.

Now if you can hit a p3 by picking 2 horses in 3 consecutive races and only spending $8, more power to ya. Part of the game involves luck and I leave that to the last leg.

Faster
07-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I hardly ever play P3, but can't help noticing really small payoffs and often wonder how many people spent 60 dollars to get 39.
Wouldn't it be easier (and much quicker) to invest 12 dollars and get back 45 for that average exacta?

Q: & A: Hope you guys get it at least 10 times, when you do. And do you?

PS I am mostly exacta bettor, but looking for another attractive exotic.

joeyspicks
07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
I always handicap the night before. I always know what races are playable (for me). The only thing that changes........IF conditions change (ie muddy track or off turf). I NEVER play off tracks (a long, hard lesson:blush: ). I play mostly straight "win" bets (or even w-p-s depending on odds) and I do a lot of dutching. I also will play "win" based plays like: parlays, doubles, pick-3, pick-4.

The decision to start a pick 3 or 4 is usually because I like a LS in the FIRST leg.
The first leg is key to the payoffs. If a favorite or (2nd -3rd pick) wins the first leg, it almost always lowers the payoff. I will start a pick 3 ONLY if my first leg is a non-favorite and at least one of the other legs is also. I dont over spend. I either am right in the first leg or not! (Note: for me a play in the first leg is ok even at 5-1 .....hopefully higher....IF the favorite is even money, 6/5, etc... I'm interested in beating the top 3 public picks). Tons of money goes on the favorites in the opening leg of pick 3-4-6. I guess people are just hoping to be alive by the 2nd leg:lol: !!!!

Whatever way it goes......the plan is set by THAT morning.........with room for flexiablity........and of course the actual ODDS at post.

Hope that helps,

Joe

Valuist
07-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Sq-

The P3 is my favorite wager and, no, I don't use any software. Just have to be prepared, and be prepared to make changes once scratches come in and if track conditions change. I think one source of hidden value is the race where the expected pace scenario changes, particularly in a race where there's three expected speeds and one of them scratches.

I sort of agree w/that theory on favorites in the first leg but I think its equally true, if not moreso, with the favorite in the last leg. Some people will spread out early, just wanting to stay alive, so the favorite in the last leg likely will be underlaid, unless prices come in for both the first 2 legs.

I believe the P3 is superior to the P4 because many tracks "roll them". I never feel a need that "I have to use this underlay because I have to be alive for the next leg". If I want to start out using a 10-1 and 12-1 in the opening leg and am out right away, I'll just start another one w/the next race.

kitts
07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I always handicap the night before and I do use software for any bet. If things change at the track (significant scratch, surface switch) I just paas that race. I play very few anyway and find it much easier to pass than refigure. However, I have a friend who always brings his laptop and always recomputes any changes. And he does better than I do.

schweitz
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
I ONLY play pick-3's---ALWAYS handicap ahead of time---DON"T use software (I use Bris ultimate pp's and my trainer knowledge)---ONLY play tracks that I have a good history with and ONLY play pick-3's where all 3 races meet my class and distance criteria. I hit a high percentage of the pick-3's I wager on ( 60+ %) and , yes, I hit many that pay less than what I put into them, but it has taken me 35+ years to come up with this betting strategy that has now been profitable for the last three years.

bettheoverlay
07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I only play P3s on the last 4 races of a race card when there is a P4 involved as well. Usually bigger fields and better payoffs. I do quick instinctive picking just using PPs to come up with my own picks, and then combine those with the top Bris Prime Power #s and the top J horses fron JCapper.

Doc
07-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I never use software. Never ever. This is how I play Pick 3's - I look for a race in which I have a very strong opinion. It has to be VERY strong - I have to LOVE the horse. Then I look at the races which surround that strong opinion. I will usually go deep in the surrounding races, single my strong opinion, whip out my wallet and hit the windows. But if I come across a card in which nothing pops out at me, I don't play at all. Like this past Monday at Philly - yuck. No bet. And I don't need any software program to use as a guide and/or a substitute for good 'ole fashioned handicapping.

Doc ;)