PDA

View Full Version : Rescued from Beirut...

sq764
07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
...does anyone else wonder what the F American citizens were doing in Beirut in the first place?

boxcar
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
...does anyone else wonder what the F American citizens were doing in Beirut in the first place?

Enjoying their dual citizenship?

Boxcar

eclecticapper
07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
At least some of them were students studying overseas:

http://www.auabroad.american.edu/partner/aub.cfm

With all the construction that had been going on in Beirut prior to the current situation, I'm sure there were lots of employment opportunities as well (and no doubt will be again if the situation ever subsides).

Show Me the Wire
07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Visiting family.

sq764
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
At least some of them were students studying overseas:

http://www.auabroad.american.edu/partner/aub.cfm

With all the construction that had been going on in Beirut prior to the current situation, I'm sure there were lots of employment opportunities as well (and no doubt will be again if the situation ever subsides).
Just like Iraq, it amazes me that the pursuit of big paydays comes before concern over hos insanely dangerous it is over there.

Secretariat
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
SQ,

Some were working at the consulate. Some were business people. Some were in marriages with Lebanese citizens. Some were in college. Lebanon was not listed as terrorist state.

I guess people thought that Israel would not bomb Beirut to stop missle launches from Southern Lebanon. They were wrong. Israel has shown no regard for collateral damage, which unfortunately will only solidify increased hatred from other Arab states.

Watched the BBC take on this last night, on PBS, and was blown away. Many more reports of the devastation in Lebanon. The amount of children and cilvians killed in this is more than I expected. The British Foreign Minister was extremely angry at Israel's response. Question is what happens when it is over?

Who pays for the rebuilding of Lebanon's infrastructure? Does this strengthen hard liners in iran and Syria to facilitate new recruits to fight Israel? How do the Saudis respond? At this point the US has no response, except unquestioned support of Israel.

Hopefully, some kind of cease fire can be arranged soon to alleviate the number of deaths.

rastajenk
07-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Are you hoping for a permanent cease-fire, or the kind that allows Hezbollah to reload?

kenwoodallpromos
07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
SQ,

Some were working at the consulate. Some were business people. Some were in marriages with Lebanese citizens. Some were in college. Lebanon was not listed as terrorist state.

I guess people thought that Israel would not bomb Beirut to stop missle launches from Southern Lebanon. They were wrong. Israel has shown no regard for collateral damage, which unfortunately will only solidify increased hatred from other Arab states.

Watched the BBC take on this last night, on PBS, and was blown away. Many more reports of the devastation in Lebanon. The amount of children and cilvians killed in this is more than I expected. The British Foreign Minister was extremely angry at Israel's response. Question is what happens when it is over?

Who pays for the rebuilding of Lebanon's infrastructure? Does this strengthen hard liners in iran and Syria to facilitate new recruits to fight Israel? How do the Saudis respond? At this point the US has no response, except unquestioned support of Israel.

Hopefully, some kind of cease fire can be arranged soon to alleviate the number of deaths.
____
Thank you- for the first paragraph!

CryingForTheHorses
07-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Im wondering how many Mexicians have snuck into their country!!

Tom
07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Cease fire is Israel's objective. As soon as all of hezbollah is dead, they will cease firing.
They agree wtih Sec, just not on timing.

BTW, Lebanon was supposed to have, under UN resolution, kicked hezbolla out befreo this. Sucs they didn not do it or ask for help if they couldn't.
This is what you get when you allow other than "with us or against us" to exist.

JPinMaryland
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
What is Syria's strategy in all this? I cant figure it out. SOme possibilities:
1 Return of the Shaaba farm or whatever the hell it's called. Is this really that big a deal? 2) Get the Golan Hgts back. 3) Re exert influence in Lebanon.

2 and 3 seem out of the question. 1 doesnt seem like a big deal. What is the optimal outcome for Syria?

kenwoodallpromos
07-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Pals and Hezies are looking to trade so they attacked and kidnapped soldiers- if Israel had already executed their terrorist prisoners, would the parties be playing tennis with missles and rockets?