PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Fires Harold Reynolds

sq764
07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow, thought they were high on him.. Wonder what he did..

http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires_reynolds_sports_andrew_marchand.htm

Valuist
07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
It must've been something. Right in the middle of the season with Gammons out also. I'm sure details will come out soon. Probably on smokkinggun or drudge.com

JustRalph
07-25-2006, 02:41 PM
perplexes me? I actually am not a fan of his. But I think he was a good analyst. His coverage of the college world series I thought was pretty damn good.

He was all over A-rod the other night and actually got into a pretty good verbal spat with Kruk over A-Rod. Makes you wonder if something went on behind the scenes after that? Harold has not been on since?

How much you want to bet he ends up with Fox for the world series etc?

Valuist
07-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I'd say he's about 1-2 to end up w/Fox. I think he's pretty solid. He's more articulate than most players. He was a decent player but not a superstar so he had to be a student of the game.

kenwoodallpromos
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
SOmetimes it takes very little for a sports type broadcaster to get fire- especially saying anything the management disagrees with. Of course, I have no idea in this case. Maybe not even sports related.

OTM Al
07-25-2006, 03:21 PM
It could of been something as simple as him walking into the office and saying, hey I'm going to work for Fox next season. Broadcast personalities get fired at the drop of a hat and often rehired just as quickly.

sq764
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Early rumor is it was something related to sexual harrassment/indecency, which might explain the suddenness of it..

Nothing factual yet, just what I have heard..

BetHorses!
07-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Early rumor is it was something related to sexual harrassment/indecency, which might explain the suddenness of it..

Nothing factual yet, just what I have heard..

Not true. At least according to people in the know.

I think it had to do with an A-ROD feature that he was against and a series of other small things that he just blew up

melman
07-26-2006, 07:09 AM
I quote from the story by Andrew Marchand in today's NY Post. After being accused of sexual harassment and firsed by ESPN former Baseball Tonight analyst Harold Reynolds said yesterday he doesn't think he did anything wrong and is still hoping to regain his job. Also this is reported as being a direct quote from Reyolds "This was a total mis-understanding, my goal is to sit down and bet back. To be honest with you, I game a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted". Now Bet Horses that does not sound like a problem with an "A-Rod piece". Also BH I and NOT trying to jump on you or be sarcastic with your post as I enjoy your posts. Just in this case I think your "in the know" people had it wrong.

melman
07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Sorry for the lousy typing mistakes need to make sure I get my morning coffee in me before posting. :jump:

BetHorses!
07-26-2006, 07:17 AM
I quote from the story by Andrew Marchand in today's NY Post. After being accused of sexual harassment and firsed by ESPN former Baseball Tonight analyst Harold Reynolds said yesterday he doesn't think he did anything wrong and is still hoping to regain his job. Also this is reported as being a direct quote from Reyolds "This was a total mis-understanding, my goal is to sit down and bet back. To be honest with you, I game a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted". Now Bet Horses that does not sound like a problem with an "A-Rod piece". Also BH I and NOT trying to jump on you or be sarcastic with your post as I enjoy your posts. Just in this case I think your "in the know" people had it wrong.

Seems like it. I'll have to read the Post and get some idiots off my payroll.. Good thing I can't lose reputation points. :)

Thanks Melman and I have no problem with you pointing this out :blush:

melman
07-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Cool BH and I look forward to your upcoming posts on the football season. Any early thinking on your part on the Philadelphia Eagles?? Many in this town think a "bounce back" is coming but I am not so sure of that looks like they are counting on too many rookies one of which they have not even signed yet. :lol:

BetHorses!
07-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Cool BH and I look forward to your upcoming posts on the football season. Any early thinking on your part on the Philadelphia Eagles?? Many in this town think a "bounce back" is coming but I am not so sure of that looks like they are counting on too many rookies one of which they have not even signed yet. :lol:

Over/Under is 8.5 wins, which by the way is lowest number in the very tough Division and I really doubt a bounce back. I already bet Texans +3.5 Week one :jump:

BetHorses!
07-26-2006, 07:43 AM
I just read the Post article and it does seem like Sexual Harassment since HR is quoted. But what is so funny now is Steve Phillips is taking on more of a roll. :lol:

sq764
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Eagles 8-8 at best... They have no offense and a soft defense, along with a QB who has zero confidence.. Not a good combo.

Between that, the Phillies stinking up the joint and that I could care less about NBA and NHL, I have LOTS more time for harness racing

sq764
07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I just read the Post article and it does seem like Sexual Harassment since HR is quoted. But what is so funny now is Steve Phillips is taking on more of a roll. :lol:
Yeah, seems like at ESPN, if you drive around with your "friend's" crack pipe 'trying to find a dumpster where you can throw it out', you're fine. But hug a girl and you're dead.. :jump:

Bathless
07-26-2006, 09:24 AM
http://deadspin.com/

As of right now (9:30AM EDT), the story is on the top of the page. Scroll down to the middle for the original allegations.

I kinda liked Reynolds. Wish it were Steven A. Smith instead, but he's so ugly and obnoxious, he probably can't get within hugging distance....

sq764
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
http://deadspin.com/

As of right now (9:30AM EDT), the story is on the top of the page. Scroll down to the middle for the original allegations.

I kinda liked Reynolds. Wish it were Steven A. Smith instead, but he's so ugly and obnoxious, he probably can't get within hugging distance....
I wish it was Stuart Scott.. I need street to English dictionary to understand his highlights sometimes

Valuist
07-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Not to venture too far off topic, but will Reid's job be in jeopardy if they go 6-10 or 7-9?

Bathless
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Last year, at http://www.bravesbeat.com (http://www.bravesbeat.com/) , they ran a tournament to find the most loathesome personality on ESPN. Complete with brackets and seedings. The winner? Stuart Scott, hands down.

Go to http://www.bravesbeat.com/bravesjournal/bristol/ and pick a link on the right side of the page to get started. Not easy to navigate through the whole thing, but pretty funny, especially if you're not a big fan of Skip Bayless, etc.

One of the quotes on the site was (supposedly) from the ESPN personnel director, who said (and I paraphrase): 'In selecting our on-air personalities, we look for people who get your attention. Good people are rare...and expensive. So we go for loud and obnoxious.'

BTW, sexual harrassment has long been rumored to be the primary extra-curricular activity at Bristol. Every time a new class of 'sweet thing' PAs and pages arrives, they're literally attacked by packs of sniffing on-air hounds.

sq764
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Not to venture too far off topic, but will Reid's job be in jeopardy if they go 6-10 or 7-9?
I hope so.. I think he was responsible for letting TO get the best of them last year and he has shown he is simply not a good coach.

I think Mcpuke has the most to prove. I am so sick of him making jokes now, we'll see how funny it is when they pull an A-rod on him in Philly

sq764
07-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Last year, at http://www.bravesbeat.com (http://www.bravesbeat.com/) , they ran a tournament to find the most loathesome personality on ESPN. Complete with brackets and seedings. The winner? Stuart Scott, hands down.

Go to http://www.bravesbeat.com/bravesjournal/bristol/ and pick a link on the right side of the page to get started. Not easy to navigate through the whole thing, but pretty funny, especially if you're not a big fan of Skip Bayless, etc.

One of the quotes on the site was (supposedly) from the ESPN personnel director, who said (and I paraphrase): 'In selecting our on-air personalities, we look for people who get your attention. Good people are rare...and expensive. So we go for loud and obnoxious.'

BTW, sexual harrassment has long been rumored to be the primary extra-curricular activity at Bristol. Every time a new class of 'sweet thing' PAs and pages arrives, they're literally attacked by packs of sniffing on-air hounds.
I am all for colorful reporting, even a little slang here and there, but he takes it to the absurd level.
The booyah was fun for a while, as was the 'cool as the other side of the pillow'.. But it's gotten so bad anymore..

Sorry if I do not want to see a pro athlete 'straight trippin' or 'getting his freak on'

Valuist
07-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree. Scott is over the top. The problem w/some of the ESPN guys (like the TVG guys) is when they think THEY are the show. Sports would still be going on and horse races would still be run w/out the talking heads.

sq764
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree. Scott is over the top. The problem w/some of the ESPN guys (like the TVG guys) is when they think THEY are the show. Sports would still be going on and horse races would still be run w/out the talking heads.
Well look how bad Olberman got. That guy's head could not get any bigger.

That is why I like Dan Patrick, he's still relatively humble and professional after all these years.

JWBurnie
07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
IMO, Kenny Mayne is the man no matter the sport he covers.

sq764
07-26-2006, 11:44 AM
IMO, Kenny Mayne is the man no matter the sport he covers.
I just saw him on a car insurance commercial..Diversity, I love it.

Bathless
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Off topic, but have you seen the one with Little Richard? More makeup than Tammy Bakker. Man looks like a Zombie.....

JPinMaryland
07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Berman is also idiotic with stupid nicknames schtick. I can almost stomach Scott because I cannot understand half of what he is saying so it just goes right past.

BetHorses!
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Off topic, but have you seen the one with Little Richard? More makeup than Tammy Bakker. Man looks like a Zombie.....

What about Burt Bacharach singing ""I hope nobody hits me in the rear" :D

JustRalph
07-26-2006, 11:02 PM

I really thought that was beneath him........ they must have paid him tons of money.......they guy is friggin rich as hell...........why did he do it?

Bathless
07-29-2006, 10:31 AM

And in the same ad campaign, CHARO, performing the same schtick she did when Cugie first 'discovered' her. What a hoot !!! There's a trifecta for you - Bacharach, Little Richard and Charo.