PDA

View Full Version : Cole Hamels

sq764
07-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Been waiting for Cole Hamels to explode with a monster game.. Tonight he's got 12 K's through 5 against Atlanta...

melman
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
And he gets knocked out of the game in the 6th giving up seven earned runs, with three home runs. No doubt the kid has talent just going to take some time.

sq764
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
And he gets knocked out of the game in the 6th giving up seven earned runs, with three home runs. No doubt the kid has talent just going to take some time.
Yeah, tough to build on the strikeout total when you get shelled :-)

I must have jinxed him

Bathless
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Another Alum of my favorite team: Lakewood Blueclaws.

Since the Claws first season in 2001, have seen Hamels, Gavin Floyd, Taylor Buchholtz (now an Astro) and Ryan Howard come through. Saw Randy Wolf pitch 3 in rehab appearance for Phils last week.

Good stuff for $5 to $8 a ticket.

Bathless
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Anyone know where/if Juan is playing? Except for Ryan Howard, he's the only Blue Claw who ever had any pop in his bat. Little guy, too. Last I heard, he was at Reading. The minor league site shows a Juan Richardson playing 3B for the Springfield Cardinals, but he's listed at 6'1" 215. If it's the same guy, they're either puffing up his size or he's taken on Barry Bonds' trainer. Richardson played 2B while in Lakewood.

OTM Al
07-26-2006, 11:40 AM
As the great Crash Davis once said "Strikeouts are fascist". He obviously has talent but he's still got a long way to go in learning how to pitch.

sq764
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
As the great Crash Davis once said "Strikeouts are fascist". He obviously has talent but he's still got a long way to go in learning how to pitch.
He's got to learn that the 3rd time through the lineup is not easy, not like Triple A..

He's got fantastic stuff, just needs a smart catcher to bring him along.

Bathless
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I once heard someone say (don't remember who) that the biggest jump in the level of talent in baseball is not A -> AA or AA -> AAA. It's AAA to the bigs...

Bathless
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Another Alum of my favorite team: Lakewood Blueclaws.

Since the Claws first season in 2001, have seen Hamels, Gavin Floyd, Taylor Buchholtz (now an Astro) and Ryan Howard come through. Saw Randy Wolf pitch 3 in rehab appearance for Phils last week.

Good stuff for $5 to $8 a ticket.

Buchholtz got rocked Thursday. 6 earned in 2 innings. Now W/L is 6-9, ERA 5.96.

JPinMaryland
07-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I once heard someone say (don't remember who) that the biggest jump in the level of talent in baseball is not A -> AA or AA -> AAA. It's AAA to the bigs...

Try the jump from college to A. Now that is some jump.

sq764
07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't agree, because even in Low A, you still have a lot of guys who's dad knew a scout and got them a shot.. Guys that throw like 86 mph and have nothing off speed.

Bathless
07-29-2006, 10:08 AM

Not a jump at all. Top 30-50 college teams would coast against low Class 'A' pro clubs and easily hold their own against high 'A' teams. This level of college ball is VERY good. Years ago, the minors went all the way down to class 'C' ('D'??), which was where the majority of new signees were assigned. Today it's low 'A' (both short season and full season leagues). Top draftees out of college often go directly to 'AA', although some will get sent to an Instructional League for a brief stint first. Often, in the case of pitchers, the team wants to make sure mechanics are sound before the kid gets assigned someplace he's going to throw a lot of innings.

Take in some good college ball, if you can, and you'll agree. Problem is you have to put up with those gawd-awful aluminum bats. Aluminum bats are for girls and softball beer leagues. Man, I hate the sound of those things...

Bathless
07-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Pretty good outing for Cole the other day - 7 1/3, 6 hits, 3 earned, 7Ks, 2BBs. Picked up his 3rd win.

Meanwhile, in Houston, Buchholtz really got knocked around and earned a ticket to AAA Round Rock.