PDA

View Full Version : Soriano to White Sox?

headhawg
07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that The Nationals and the White Sox are 'extremely close' to a deal with Brandon McCarthy going to Washington.

I don't like the deal if it's true, but they might be trying to prevent him from going to Detroit.

witchdoctor
07-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Probably they are more concerned about him winding up with the New York Yankees.

Valuist
07-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I heard they were concerned about him going to Detroit. I do think the Sox are concerned about Minnesota, who's right on their heels with dead aim turning for home.

headhawg
07-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Valuist,

I think that you are a White Sox fan like me, and I don't know about you but I'm worried. Damn worried.

I've seen this movie before in the Frank Thomas-Albert Belle-Magglio Ordonez years -- let's sit back and wait for the three-run homer, and let's pitch just well enough to make it interesting but lose anyway. They couldn't win bupkis with that style of play and they have that same kind of team this year. I can't remember the last time I've seen the hit and run or a squeeze or anything to shake this team up. Personally, I'd move Thome to the 5 spot and bat Dye third. Tough to do against righties I know as that puts three right-handed batters in the 2-4 slots, but Thome hasn't gotten a big hit in a month.

I know that it's incredibly difficult to repeat a championship but if the Sox don't make the playoffs this year heads need to roll.

Valuist
07-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I'll be honest: they aren't gonna repeat. The starting pitching, other than Contreras, is very shaky. The Tigers remind me a lot of the White Sox last year; they definitely are the real deal. I know THome has put up big numbers but I really don't understand why you'd trade a guy like Aaron Rowand away. Great center fielder, can hit decently and has some power, can steal bases and is a lot younger than Thome. The Sox already had one first baseman who can hit 40 HRs. And Minnesota is really rolling. I wouldn't be shocked if the Twins got the wild card. Santana/Loriano is as good a 1-2 punch as anyone, including Schilling/Beckett.

If they don't make the playoffs, look for the heat to be turned up on Ozzie. When they're winning, his mouth gets overlooked. He's great at in-game managing; he just has no people skills.

sq764
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I'll be honest: they aren't gonna repeat. The starting pitching, other than Contreras, is very shaky. The Tigers remind me a lot of the White Sox last year; they definitely are the real deal. I know THome has put up big numbers but I really don't understand why you'd trade a guy like Aaron Rowand away. Great center fielder, can hit decently and has some power, can steal bases and is a lot younger than Thome. The Sox already had one first baseman who can hit 40 HRs. And Minnesota is really rolling. I wouldn't be shocked if the Twins got the wild card. Santana/Loriano is as good a 1-2 punch as anyone, including Schilling/Beckett.

If they don't make the playoffs, look for the heat to be turned up on Ozzie. When they're winning, his mouth gets overlooked. He's great at in-game managing; he just has no people skills.
Well, considering Thome is hitting .289 with 32 homers and 81 rbis and Rowand is .258, 9 homers, 34 rbis, I wouldn't complain.

Love Rowand's heart, aggressiveness, drive, but he's stunk this year, period..

Valuist
07-25-2006, 05:08 PM
But the age is a big factor. Thome will be done in 2 years. Rowand should have 10 more years. It would've been different if they needed a first baseman. And if you think Rowand's numbers stink, you should see Brian Anderson's (the guy who replaced Rowand in CF) numbers. Horrific.

sq764
07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
But the age is a big factor. Thome will be done in 2 years. Rowand should have 10 more years. It would've been different if they needed a first baseman. And if you think Rowand's numbers stink, you should see Brian Anderson's (the guy who replaced Rowand in CF) numbers. Horrific.
i don't want 10 more years of .258..

And Thome as a DH should be able to play 5 moreyears

StartedAt18
07-26-2006, 06:00 AM
I strongly believe thaty they're just trying to jack up the price for Soriano so that the Tigers won't get him. It makes no sense for them to go after hitting when they really need pitching. The White Sox have lost 9 out of 11 games since the all star break and their ace "Jose Contreras" has 1 win in his last 6 starts.. not good. Tomorrow it's Carlos Silva vs Beurhle for the sweep. The series is tied 4-4 this season.

What's so great about Aaron Rowand? This guy has been in the league since 2001. Has 1 good season *2004* where he batted .310 24 HR and only 69 RBI's . He's going to be 29 in August of this year, two days after Thome turns only 36. His second best season was last year .270 13 HR 69 RBI's in which he played 17 more games than he did in 2004.