PDA

View Full Version : Blogs

Tom
07-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Warning - RANT:

I thought cell phoines might have been the most useless invention ever, but Blogs are fast taking over that title. It's bad enough the amzing number of complete bores who think their phone coversations are more important than anything else in the world (if something is so important you can't be away for an hour, then you either shouldn't be there or maybe you are just to incompetant in the first place and should find a less challenging job!) but now Blogs - which are really nothing more than barstool philospophy or coffe clatches aer taking over the world!

CNN - supposedly a news organization - keeps running spots about what the blogs are saying about everything - WHO CARES??????
Why not go interview Otis at the town tavern or Homer at Moe's? Same amount of creditbility with peanuts thrown in.

Try searching for something on Google these days - nothing but blogs keep coming up. When I so a search, I am looking for information, not opinions (Hcap? Listening? ;)). Blogs are to information like flashers are to romance!

I think the internet showed, like televison once did - great proimse but is fast becoming the new vast wasteland of ignorance. Trying to surf between worms and viruses and spyware and blogs.......makes you want to go to a library! :eek::eek::eek:

sq764
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Warning - RANT:

I thought cell phoines might have been the most useless invention ever, but Blogs are fast taking over that title. It's bad enough the amzing number of complete bores who think their phone coversations are more important than anything else in the world (if something is so important you can't be away for an hour, then you either shouldn't be there or maybe you are just to incompetant in the first place and should find a less challenging job!) but now Blogs - which are really nothing more than barstool philospophy or coffe clatches aer taking over the world!

CNN - supposedly a news organization - keeps running spots about what the blogs are saying about everything - WHO CARES??????
Why not go interview Otis at the town tavern or Homer at Moe's? Same amount of creditbility with peanuts thrown in.

Try searching for something on Google these days - nothing but blogs keep coming up. When I so a search, I am looking for information, not opinions (Hcap? Listening? ;). Blogs are to information like flashers are to romance!

I think the internet showed, like televison once did - great proimse but is fast becoming the new vast wasteland of ignorance. Trying to surf between worms and viruses and spyware and blogs.......makes you want to go to a library! :eek::eek::eek:
Even worse - Blog complaints in the SPORTS section LOL

GaryG
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Didn't The Blogs do Wild Thing?

Tom
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Ooopps!
Too late to delete.

PA? Sorry about that...wrong thread.
D'oh!

andicap
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
So this thread is not the right place to post a link to my new blog at horseplayerdaily's site :D ---

Tom
07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
So this thread is not the right place to post a link to my new blog at horseplayerdaily's site :D ---

You are using blogs for what they were supposed to be. Unfortunately, you are a minority.;)

Show Me the Wire
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Yes, Tom I agree. We only need PA's message board's off topic section to spin our barstool philosophies.

It really is not necessary to duplicate the effort else where on the net.

bigmack
07-25-2006, 01:44 PM
The search engine muck is really becoming a problem. I'm surprised that Google doesn't address it. Read recently someone who aptly put it: "Blogs are the digital equivalent of the pet rock"

banacek
07-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Definately the right place. I enjoyed your story about how you started - especially your Dad taking $6 out of your OTB account. I remember being 18 on a hot streak and my dad borrowing money from me (but he usually asked!)

And also how racing helped him persevere during his last year. Playing the races also kept my Dad sharp for a long time - still remember his last words to me "You win some, you lose some"

Tom
07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
The search engine muck is really becoming a problem. I'm surprised that Google doesn't address it. Read recently someone who aptly put it: "Blogs are the digital equivalent of the pet rock"

I had pet rocks befreo - they were neat. Someone bother you, yell "Sic 'em!" and throw the sucker at him! :D

xfile
07-25-2006, 04:51 PM
could 60 million people be wrong and just the originator of this thread be right? could be...:cool: it's guy like that that keep the DRF in business...and oops they have a blog too :D

JPinMaryland
07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
A blog broke the Monica Lewinsky scandal that almost ended Clinton's administration.

Blogs around the world sort of collectively figured out that the CBS story about Geo. Bush's National Guard service was bullshit.

Blogs had the results of the last US election faster than the networks due to polling information being leaked and such. That trend is likely to continue.

The pictures from Abu Gharaib were first posted on the internet as I seem to recall. Long before mainstream journalism woudl have ever dared show them.

That John Kerry/intern story that got a lot of traction in 2004 was also a blog thing.

The CBS/Nat'l guard story makes a perfect case story. Apparently not 10 min. after the story ran on CBS some guy on a blog was saying that the USAAAF memo that they ran was not in the same format of those he recieved during that time. He offered to pull out his old memos! A few hours later bloggers around the world on different sites had figured out that typewriter didnt exist aspect. all by themselves, w/o any help from mainstream media. You can google this and get the details, its out there.

This stuff works...

Suff
07-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Matter of fact... I went out of my way to Markos Moulitas who runs www.dailykos.com (http://www.dailykos.com) The most successful blog on the internet. Here's me ( King#1, with another King , Blog King Markos!!!:lol: ).

Kos gets aboout 23 million hits a month... very serious business

http://truthlaidbear.com/TrafficRanking.php

http://blogstreet.com/biq100.html

http://www.technorati.com/pop/blogs/

Anyone who does'nt like blogs is a loser.. ( cept you tom...:lol: )

Tom
07-25-2006, 09:26 PM
It's just that when I do a search for information, the last thing I want is an unregulated, unsubstatiated blog - read: diary.

And Suff, if you think I'm not a loser, wait 'til I get to Toga! :rolleyes:
I'm playing the double - Carolina Bar-b-que and Red chowder! :lol:

Dave
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Even worse - Blog complaints in the SPORTS section LOL

I thought this thread was going to be about wade blogs.

ps -- tom

you should use mozilla firefox for your browser.

check it out.

Tom
07-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I use it - what's your point?

Dave
07-26-2006, 12:07 AM
my point is you shouldn't have to worry about spyware.

vvv

Trying to surf between worms and viruses and spyware and blogs.......makes you want to go to a library!

andicap
07-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Definately the right place. I enjoyed your story about how you started - especially your Dad taking $6 out of your OTB account. I remember being 18 on a hot streak and my dad borrowing money from me (but he usually asked!)

And also how racing helped him persevere during his last year. Playing the races also kept my Dad sharp for a long time - still remember his last words to me "You win some, you lose some"

Thanks, George, uh, Banacek. I appreciate it!

BTW, Banacek, I dated a woman once who was close friends with Elizabeth Ashley, ex-wife of George Peppard. I even got to meet her once! (This was about 15 years ago.) She was the nicest person in a gossipy sort of way. Very real, unpretentious. Dishing about Carrie Fisher, how she allegedly stole the title of her "Postcards from the Edge" book from Ashley's "Postcards from the Road."

Got all kinds of dish on Peppard's son too. Way fun. My girlfriend knew all kinds of cool people, but I never got to meet any of the others. And I broke up with her because she wanted to get married and I didn't.

chickenhead
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
I pretty much agree about blogs, I haven't found too many that I like. Here is a fun one though, this guy has some pretty funny chronicles of his efforts at building electric cars.

http://www.evconvert.com/eve/

Some of it is pretty techy, but you can learn a lot about electric cars if you're interested in that sort of thing. This is a link to his current project, where he is converting a Ford Probe over to an EV. If you naviagate a bit you can find his chronicles on an earlier project.