PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, what the heck is going on?

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Belmont early on, Arlington, now Del Mar.....

Officials gather to discuss breakdowns at Del Mar (http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=65238&subsec=1)
A rash of injuries during the opening week of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club's summer meeting prompted a gathering of industry officials on Saturday. Thoroughbred Times (http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=65238&subsec=1)If one believed in conspiracy theories, one might come to the conclusion that the backers of these newfangled artificial surfaces were sneaking onto these tracks in the middle of the night and drilling holes.....it's really getting that bizarre....

cj
07-23-2006, 03:18 AM
At least two of the horses that broke down at Delmar would have probably broken down anywhere. If memory serves, they had even been pulled up in their prior race.

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2006, 04:24 AM
At ARl almost all DNF's were in the same are- at DM, all over the track and turf. Several I pp'ed had leg issues. Hol and DM turf and dirt have been running Ca fast- faster than most of the SA meet and faster than than early on this year at Hol.
I have not checked Bel for breakdowns.

JPinMaryland
07-23-2006, 01:23 PM
the DRF had a fairly concise summary of who/what at Del Mar. It sounded like one or two had soundness issues, at least one of the others was not seriously hurt. maybe it's just a statistical deviation for the moment?

cj
07-23-2006, 01:41 PM
the DRF had a fairly concise summary of who/what at Del Mar. It sounded like one or two had soundness issues, at least one of the others was not seriously hurt. maybe it's just a statistical deviation for the moment?

Of course you are probably right. What I find odd is that in the past, this sort of thing was brushed under the rug and never covered in the press. Now that the polytrack wave is full speed ahead, it is being used to further the poly argument.

GeTydOn
07-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Beloved Barbaro breaknig down in front of millions could of woken a fwe people up.

46zilzal
07-23-2006, 02:10 PM

Issues, one of the most OVERUSED words of the year. Honorable mention goes to AWESOME, and LIKE

cj
07-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Beloved Barbaro breaknig down in front of millions could of woken a fwe people up.

Woken a few people up to what? Certainly you don't think he broke down because of the racetrack? Pimlico is a very safe surface. Besides, we all know he bounced to injury.

I don't see how Barbaro was any more beloved than others that broke down, such Ruffian, Go For Wand, Holy Bull, etc.

46zilzal
07-23-2006, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=cj]Woken a few people up to what? Certainly you don't think he broke down because of the racetrack? Pimlico is a very safe surface. Besides, we all know he bounced to injury.

[QUOTE]
Didn't the film study put most of the balme on Brother Derek stepping on him?

GeTydOn
07-23-2006, 02:30 PM
When Barbaro broke down lots of people said any other horse woulda been destroyed. Some people seemed mad Barbaro was getting "special" treatment. Can't say I recall that happening with Ruffian. Go for Wand was put down on the spot, no? And Holy Bull suffered a career ending injury, not life threatening. That don't mean those 3 (or others) ain't beloved.

We ain't seen coverage of an injury like the coverage of Barbaro. The outpouring is mindboggling. Can't it be said horse injury awareness is on high right now?

And what does this mean:
"Besides, we all know he bounced to injury."

Must be something I don't knwo.

JPinMaryland
07-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Issues, one of the most OVERUSED words of the year. Honorable mention goes to AWESOME, and LIKE

the word "issues" seemed appropriate for the passage. I could not say anything more specific like "she had a definite weakness" "structural problem" etc. So I had to use something more ambiguous to convey the idea that there might have been a problem w/o anything more specific.

rrbauer
07-23-2006, 04:11 PM
At least two of the horses that broke down at Delmar would have probably broken down anywhere. If memory serves, they had even been pulled up in their prior race.

One of the DMR horses broke down on the turf....are they going to add sand to it?

If you have followed Monmouth since the new turf course opened you know that horses are posting very fast fractions on that course. I read somewhere that trainers are complaining that horses are suffering from "stinging" feet after running on it.

BeatTheChalk
07-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Any time I call tech support ..they want to know what kind of an ISSUE it is ...
issue this issue that. OUt of control if u ask me ...:) :bang: