PDA

View Full Version : Is racing "cooler" out west?

Cesario!
07-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Question for the West Coast contigent: Is racing more socially accepted out west? Or, is it just that Del Mar is so cool?

I've always hated how it's perceived as a loser's game in the East (and, in many cases, rightfully), and I've always longed to be in a communty where it is as popular as it deserves to be and isn't ruined by a very heavy loser factor. Anyhow, we all know that it's cool regardless of public opinion.

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Racing at the fairs seems to be accepted as part of the fair (no more sideshows!LOL) As to BM and GGF, most people pay no attention either way-just another form of gambling.

Sailwolf
07-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Question for the West Coast contigent: Is racing more socially accepted out west? Or, is it just that Del Mar is so cool?

I've always hated how it's perceived as a loser's game in the East (and, in many cases, rightfully), and I've always longed to be in a communty where it is as popular as it deserves to be and isn't ruined by a very heavy loser factor. Anyhow, we all know that it's cool regardless of public opinion.

2006 Opening day largest crowd for opening day.

With Las Vegas so close plus Indian gambling in the state, just another form of entertainment.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2006, 02:22 AM
...and I've always longed to be in a communty where it is as popular as it deserves to be and isn't ruined by a very heavy loser factor.

SARATOGA, NY in August (well, a little bit o' July, AUGUST, and a smidge of September)

Show Me the Wire
07-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Oak lawn winter meet

samyn on the green
07-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Playing horses in the New York area is akin to shooting herion and collecting cans for the refund. It is for losers and the broke. The game is socially unacceptable in New York City for anyone in the middle or upper classes. Friends and family find out about my "problem" and try to talk me out of it like I am jumping out of a plane without a parachute. I think people that know that I am a handicapper talk bad about me behind my back, but I am not sure. Some other parents from my childrens school even donated used clothes and canned foods to my family when I have no need for such charity.

The only time there are more than a half dozen attractive ladies at the track is for Belmont Stakes day. I see on TV that ladies come out for Del Mar and everyone respects the game by dressing up.

Is this a by-product of OTB and the homeless downtrodden culture in those joints? Why is the greatest game and all of its pleasures such a secret in New York? Was is with the baseball obsession?

stlseeeek
07-23-2006, 03:14 AM
del mar is the example of royalty of racing.

and noone (outside of texas) has the babes that san diego and del mar produce daily at the track. head and shoulders above any track.

its the mecca of racing.

bigmack
07-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Sharp post Samyn on the Green. The pegeantry of the play and crowd here @ Del Mar in comparison to many other tracks, cept Toga, is like driving a Aston Martin around the coast on a fine afternoon verses riding in a Greyhound bus headed to Poughkeepsie.

rrbauer
07-23-2006, 04:14 PM
What track is in Poughkeepsie?
:)

bigmack
07-23-2006, 04:31 PM
What track is in Poughkeepsie?
:)
Why that's the famed Poughkeepsie Park. Next weekend is the big stakes race with Zippy Chippy coming in to do battle with a pile of cloned mules. Should be a good one. They were going to have a "wrong way" race but felt with Zippy's participation it'll be pretty much the same thing.

46zilzal
07-23-2006, 04:38 PM
grew up on the west coast and even with that bias, Saratoga is the classic, not Del Mar. It is the Deauville of North America.

Del Mar is anything BUT cool..it is hotter than Hades there.

Sailwolf
07-23-2006, 08:32 PM
grew up on the west coast and even with that bias, Saratoga is the classic, not Del Mar. It is the Deauville of North America.

Cal racing.com has the temperature at Del Mar at 82 degrees. Not bad

Compare to the valley (Los Angeles) 109 degrees

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Cal racing.com has the temperature at Del Mar at 82 degrees. Not bad

Compare to the valley (Los Angeles) 109 degrees
I see your point!
I was told the heat is why trainers do not want to work their horses at Fairplex.

Jeff P
07-23-2006, 11:18 PM
del mar is the example of royalty of racing.
its the mecca of racing.
No. No. No. No. No. And no.

San Diego is a Beautiful Vibrant Place.

I'm in San Diego. More specifically, Pacific Beach. It's truly like no place else I've ever been to. People from all over the world come to this town to spend their vacation. Maybe the perfect weather brings them here. Maybe it's the ocean... or the bay. Maybe it's touristy places like Sea World, the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, or Legoland. Maybe it's because they can go over the border into Mexico. Maybe it's because of the Gaslamp. Wherever you are here you're never far at all from laughter girls and cold beer... BTW the very first thing you see when you walk through the main gate at Sea World is a beer garden.

The people here are so casual... and happy... and free with themselves...

The only time there are more than a half dozen attractive ladies at the track is for Belmont Stakes day. I see on TV that ladies come out for Del Mar and everyone respects the game by dressing up.
Has anybody seen that Click commercial with Nick Lache? It's kind of like that here. I'm a very average looking guy. But I could be walking down the sidewalk or be at the bank or the supermarket or the beach... and the same thing happens... random college girls half my age will look into my eyes and smile at me. The girls are everywhere and they're sooo obvious about what they want... and things get really interesting if I'm out anywhere late enough to hear the words last call.

The simple truth is people here LOVE to party.

You're right. There is no stigma attached to playing the ponies here. It's considered cool to go to Del Mar. Why? Because Del Mar personifies another way to party. Racing in other parts of the country - with the exception of Kentucky Derby Day and Saratoga - it just isn't like that.

--jp

bigmack
07-23-2006, 11:35 PM
The girls are everywhere and they're sooo obvious about what they want... and things get really interesting if I'm out anywhere late enough to hear the words last call.
Come on JP - Living in PB is akin to living in many of the beach communities where youth is plentiful. It's not Del Mar - it's not Solana - it's not La Jolla It's like OB, Venice, Huntington, Santa Cruz, et al. Don't get delusional about what you may think they're "sooo obvious" about wanting. Feeling flattered that you get a smile is one thing - assuming more is probably presumptuous on your part. In any event, it's a good place to be around.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Nice crowd at AP today. AP draws not quite 50% women fans, and quite a few young adult fans, and families with their kids. I was feeling mighty burned out today and finally had enough of staring at my pps today, locked away upstairs and inside, with my serious but friendly handicapping group, away from the crowds on a bright, sunny day. I decided spend the last few races down on the apron level, and do some people watching, walking through the park, and the lower grandstand, and the beautiful outdoor paddock. I really enjoyed the break today, still have a relaxed smile on my face I haven't seen in weeks. Heard the Saturday crowd was unusually good yesterday. Seemed like a mighty cool place to take a date today, or to meet people, or just to hang out, like I used to do 20 years ago before I got serious at this game. I actually had fun again today, even though I didn't cash a ticket.

Jeff P
07-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Come on JP - Living in PB is akin to living in many of the beach communities where youth is plentiful. It's not Del Mar - it's not Solana - it's not La Jolla It's like OB, Venice, Huntington, Santa Cruz, et al. Don't get delusional about what you may think they're "sooo obvious" about wanting. Feeling flattered that you get a smile is one thing - assuming more is probably presumptuous on your part. In any event, it's a good place to be around.
I'm still young and fit right in here. I'm single. And not looking to get married anytime soon. I do enjoy my fun and right now I'm having the time of my life. Believe me when I say this, there's no delusion involved. There are smiles and then there are SMILES. It's 100 percent EXACTLY the way I described it.

--jp

Jeff P
07-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Getting this thread back on topic...
The essence of my earlier post is that San Diego is beautiful, and vibrant... and it's a party town. Especially in PB where I live, but it isn't confined to just PB... the partying aspect - it's everywhere. And a day at Del Mar is viewed not so much as betting on horses (although that certainly goes on there) but as an excuse to party. THAT's why you see babes there all dressed up drinking and partying. It's not like that at the other SOCAL tracks. At least I never saw it at SA or HOL anywhere close to the degree I see it at Del Mar. And somehow in a party atmosphere - maybe because gambling isn't the central focus - the stigma part of the game isn't present like it is at other racing venues.

-jp

Valuist
07-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Would it matter if it was considered "cool" or not? If you like it, that's all that matters. If somebody hates horse racing, they aren't worth your time.

Stevie Belmont
07-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I could not think of a more perfect combination. I love the ocean, everything about it. The smell, the water, the boats....and then to have the great track a stones throw away is the ultimate. What a way to spend a day. Take a nice dip in the morning. Enjoy the cuties and read the DRF and prepare for the card. What more could one want? When it's all over, enjoy the night life.

GMB@BP
07-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Getting this thread back on topic...

The essence of my earlier post is that San Diego is beautiful, and vibrant... and it's a party town. Especially in PB where I live, but it isn't confined to just PB... the partying aspect - it's everywhere. And a day at Del Mar is viewed not so much as betting on horses (although that certainly goes on there) but as an excuse to party. THAT's why you see babes there all dressed up drinking and partying. It's not like that at the other SOCAL tracks. At least I never saw it at SA or HOL anywhere close to the degree I see it at Del Mar. And somehow in a party atmosphere - maybe because gambling isn't the central focus - the stigma part of the game isn't present like it is at other racing venues.

-jp

agree completely. while people go to saratoga to party, i think most go for the racing (I dont know this as fact, its perception), but at del mar there is a large contigent that goes to party, especially the female persuasion.

JustRalph
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
San Diego, I would live there if given my choice and everything else fell into place. Jeff, you are a lucky guy...........

LaughAndBeMerry
07-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Playing horses in the New York area is akin to shooting herion and collecting cans for the refund. It is for losers and the broke. The game is socially unacceptable in New York City for anyone in the middle or upper classes.

I've gotten the same thing all my life. I think it's pretty funny, considering my early interest in gambling (from age 13) got me hooked on numbers which I turned into a masters degree in finance from a top-tier school, and a pretty good business career.

My closest "degenerate" racing buddies are a cardiac surgeon, a bond trader that was able to retire at 45, and an entrepreneur that owns about $25 million in real estate. Len Friedman from The Sheets is one of the smartest guys you could ever meet, a University of Chicago law school graduate. Cary Fotias of "Blinkers Off" fame ran the currency options desk at First Boston before retiring to make speed figures. I could go on and on.

At one time I worried about what other people thought, but I outgrew that years ago.

lansdale
08-31-2006, 12:01 AM

I'm in San Diego. More specifically, Pacific Beach. It's truly like no place else I've ever been to. People from all over the world come to this town to spend their vacation. Maybe the perfect weather brings them here. Maybe it's the ocean... or the bay. Maybe it's touristy places like Sea World, the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, or Legoland. Maybe it's because they can go over the border into Mexico. Maybe it's because of the Gaslamp. Wherever you are here you're never far at all from laughter girls and cold beer... BTW the very first thing you see when you walk through the main gate at Sea World is a beer garden.

Has anybody seen that Click commercial with Nick Lache? It's kind of like that here. I'm a very average looking guy. But I could be walking down the sidewalk or be at the bank or the supermarket or the beach... and the same thing happens... random college girls half my age will look into my eyes and smile at me. The girls are everywhere and they're sooo obvious about what they want... and things get really interesting if I'm out anywhere late enough to hear the words last call.

You're right. There is no stigma attached to playing the ponies here. It's considered cool to go to Del Mar. Why? Because Del Mar personifies another way to party. Racing in other parts of the country - with the exception of Kentucky Derby Day and Saratoga - it just isn't like that.

--jp

Jeff says it far better than I possibly could, but let no one be in doubt, racing is not only much, much cooler at Del Mar than in the East. Living and playing in the NY area, one whose nightmarish quality was well-summed up by Samyn, it would be the understatement of the decade to say that my world was rocked the first time I walked into Del Mar on a Friday evening last August. Quality racing and a babe festival that never ends. For those who think that Jeff was exaggerating about the women, even a troll like myself was doing much better than usual, illustrating his point that it's not about who you are but where you are. And what about the incredible weather - 75 every day with no humidity, and, I would guess an average of one rainy day every two months. Also, the whole area is just fantastically beautiful. Actually just writing this now, remembering some times there, is causing me deep pain. I need to go back - soon.

Cheers,

lansdale

weegee
08-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Who decides what's cool? Drunk male 20-somethings? Just asking; no offense intended, boys. I turned by back on cool long ago. It's just one more thing to worry about. :)

chickenhead
08-31-2006, 09:57 AM
San Diego, I would live there if given my choice and everything else fell into place. Jeff, you are a lucky guy...........

:faint: :faint: :faint:

Don't get me wrong, you summed up my feelings re SD exactly. After spending consecutive summer vacations in SD/Del Mar/Encinitas experiencing the weather, atmosphere, and people of the area I'm about ready to move myself....but to hear this from you! You do know it's in California?

ponyplayer
08-31-2006, 10:19 AM

Right on Ralph....spent 3 very enjoyable vacations there (1 week each), and I love to live any where around there...just a little out of reach for my budget. :D

skate
08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
i agree w/ jeff on SD. at least 15-20 years ago, great place.

not sure if the people from down south are wnating(woops, my tom tom) to makes changes though.

it is getting crowded.

been down to Del pk twice in the last 2 years, not bad w/"the chickens".

CryingForTheHorses
08-31-2006, 03:27 PM

--jp

Geeze you could say the same thing about Calder...Beautiful beaches..Lots of beautiful ladies come to Calder,Not to mention the thousands who love our beaches, sea world, The miami nitelife,Ft Lauderdale..Do I need to go on..Greatest thing about Calder is that we can have monsoons and hardly ever cancel.Our fields have been getting better and the really good thing about Calder is that I am there...

1st time lasix
08-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Interesting that many consider a bridge/chess player intelligent... a poker player interesting... and a college professor upper crust royalty while a race handicapper a degenerate. My usual Saturday group consists of a middle aged retired Chicago investment banker, a sports show radio talk host, a litigation attorney who sold his 40 partner practice, a sucessful real estate developer and a working management consultant. I too have a MBA in Finance from an SEC school and I would still hesitate to tell people without a clue that might get the wrong impression if I told them what I truly enjoy a couple afternoons per week. The stigma remains. I agree that at Arlington {at least on Million weekend} it seemed liked a great environment that rivaled Saratoga or Del Mar.

JustRalph
08-31-2006, 05:41 PM
:faint: :faint: :faint:
Don't get me wrong, you summed up my feelings re SD exactly. After spending consecutive summer vacations in SD/Del Mar/Encinitas experiencing the weather, atmosphere, and people of the area I'm about ready to move myself....but to hear this from you! You do know it's in California?

Oh yeah, I know. That falling into place thing includes me taking over the state! :lol: :lol: I lived in California in 2003-2004........LA County.

BlueShoe
08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Have heard all the pluses about SD and DM,but just one little thing was left out;the cost of living.Check prices for homes and/or condos in the North County beach towns,and you might think that there is a misprint.Not fond of the new Del Mar,being a traditionalist.The old place had charm and tradition,and was quite sad when it was leveled some years ago.Imo the new Del Mar has little or no charm,and just do not feel at home there,it feels as if I am in a foreign country.Other old timers have shared the same opinions with me.On a more practical note,since I do not have an online account,am unable to wager on early races that would be available at my local otb site.Reason?The place does not open until 12 noon.That means that if I have a dead lock in the 4th at Saratoga or 1st at Arlington,am sol.As for tradition,Fairplex opens next Friday,and most certainly will attend a few times.