PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Senate Bill

Show Me the Wire
07-21-2006, 07:13 PM
It is nauseating to think the republican controlled Senate passed a bill requiring Mexico's permission for the U.S. to secure its borders through the erecting of a fence. What are our leaders thinking? More cheap labor?

I know the republican leaders are not concerned nor serious about security along the Southwestern border.

I am waiting for accusations regarding my partisanship agnenda. :bang:

Secretariat
07-21-2006, 08:49 PM
This issue of immigration is the only issue I've seen Republicans on this board move away from the President's of trying to play both cards on this issue.

This issue is tough, but I am probably more Republican than Democrat favoring exporting illegals (no matter the cost), and harsh penalties on employers who hire illegals repeatedly. I am against the fence thing. Big cost, and will do little. It's sort of building our own Berlin Wall. I understand the arguments for it. I just don't think it will work and will require continual maintenance and more border patrol anyway.

So while you appear to be on the side of the Minutemen side on this issue, it is still a Republican position on the fence, not just the admisntration's position (at this point).

Show Me the Wire
07-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Sec:

Surprise, I am on the security side of the issue. FYI I am not in favor a carte blanche round-up, sending all illegals home causing broken families and unnecessary heart ache.

kenwoodallpromos
07-21-2006, 09:49 PM
This issue of immigration is the only issue I've seen Republicans on this board move away from the President's of trying to play both cards on this issue.

This issue is tough, but I am probably more Republican than Democrat favoring exporting illegals (no matter the cost), and harsh penalties on employers who hire illegals repeatedly. I am against the fence thing. Big cost, and will do little. It's sort of building our own Berlin Wall. I understand the arguments for it. I just don't think it will work and will require continual maintenance and more border patrol anyway.

So while you appear to be on the side of the Minutemen side on this issue, it is still a Republican position on the fence, not just the admisntration's position (at this point).
________
I am not arguingl just asking how you can to the conclusions you did about putting either words in Show Me The Way's mouth and/or thoughts in his head.
My understanding is that the Minutemen are providing much of the cost and labor for some of the fencing on private property; I guess that is what you mean by the "Republican" side.
Aside from that, can ytou explain why putting up a fence will require more Border Patrol (than they ideal should have now to enforce the same border?)
Your quote "It's sort of building our own Berlin Wall" blows my mind because the Berlin Wall was put up my the Communists to keep people in. Who wou;d we be forcably by walls and gunfire trying to keep in the USA?
To tell you the truth, I think you are just trying again to trash anything US by making silly nonsense comparisons of the worse kind without cause.

Tom
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Many of the horrifying things in that bill were put in by Obama!
Befreo you guys get too excited about pointing fingers - the whole damn senate is guilty of voting on a bill that none of them had read! The 800 page ammendment made it impossilbe for all but a few to have clue what was in it.

I favor a fence, a "frontier zone", snipers, guard dogs, and mine fields.
And some sort of round up is requried - deportation in all cases is not the goal, but identifying evry illegal here should damn well be, and besides, as the dishonerable Fat head Ted put it - these people have to go to the back of the line for citizenship, so the ONLY way that can happen is to know who they are.

But as far as breaking up families, they whole family is free to go back with the ones deported, no?
Perhaps that would be preferable to going to jail, which is where they belong.

Secretariat
07-21-2006, 10:42 PM
________
My understanding is that the Minutemen are providing much of the cost and labor for some of the fencing on private property; I guess that is what you mean by the "Republican" side.

I have no objection to the Minutemen paying to put up fences on their own private property or people giving them land to put up fences. I do have an objection to using taxpayer money to do it.

Aside from that, can ytou explain why putting up a fence will require more Border Patrol (than they ideal should have now to enforce the same border?)

Because the cost of vandalism to that fence will be astronomical, and taxpayer money will need guards to prevent that vandalism. If the Minutemen shoot illegals, the amounts of cases i nthe legal system will be astronomical. Currently, as poor a system as it is, there is no need to continually be repairing fences, and dealing with sugnficant court caes regarding destruction of property and vigilante violence. That will cost lots.

Your quote "It's sort of building our own Berlin Wall" blows my mind because the Berlin Wall was put up my the Communists to keep people in. Who wou;d we be forcably by walls and gunfire trying to keep in the USA?

I saw the analogy as more of a barrier between people. A symbol of a division that can be solved no other way than by a monument to frustration. Perhaps, I should have used the Israeli-Palestinian wall as more of an example. it has only deepened the chasm between these two countries.

To tell you the truth, I think you are just trying again to trash anything US by making silly nonsense comparisons of the worse kind without cause.

Please tell me how I am trashing the US by advocating the US deport illegals, and enforcing fines against elmployers who hire illegals.

JustRalph
07-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Land mines are cheaper than fencing............ in the long run..........

KingChas
07-22-2006, 12:52 AM
I know the republican leaders are not concerned nor serious about security along the Southwestern border.
:

:lol: Sure, what Republican leaders and ex-leaders reside or will be residing in the future in Texas? :lol:

Probably will be most secure state in the union. $;)$

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Like Ken, I have no interest in an argument so I will simply add my two cents and be finished.

If the fence were already there we couldn't afford to police it. And I guarantee taht the Minutemen are not going to do this entire job by themselves indefinitely. The whole idea is nothing but a political move to make it look like something is being done.

If they really wanted to do something about it they would simply make it a real, criminal act to emply an illegal alien. Send a few sweatshop owners to prison and I guarantee that the hiring of illegals will be severly curtailed.

Cut the jobs out of the picture and the illegals have no reason to come across the border.

And if that happens, a lot of cheap Mexican labor on this side of the border is going to go away.

When the cheap labor goes away, then the next logical step is that the wages would have to go up in the bottom of the barrel jobs. (Like flipping burgers at Mickey D's in L.A.)

This would cause a trickle-up effect for the next level or two of workers such that even Wal-mart would feel the pinch.

Next step would be that prices at the world's largest retailer would have to be raised to accomodate the higher labor costs.

Uh-oh. Now this "little immigration thing" is going to mess with the economy.

This whole scenario is very believable.

Obviously "the big boys" don't wish to take any action that might damage the economy.

So, once again, gub'mnt comes down on the side of big business.

Try to get this because it is not conservatives versus liberals; republicans versus democrats. It always comes down to us versus them.

Just my opinion. (Your results may vary. <G>)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2006, 04:21 AM
The only difference between legal and illegal alien workers is
1) The US Govt cannot keep track of them, and
2) US Govt deductions from pay.
The solution is as others have stated, to sock it to compamy and private resident employers who do not comply with employer rules, and to require all who hire businesses to make sure they are licensed and have legal workers. Full reporting to the Feds anytime anyone is hired to do any kind of work on a regular basis is the answer.
But fences in current high-traffic areas is still neccessary, monitored by UAV's