PDA

View Full Version : giacomo

alydar44
07-21-2006, 11:01 AM
He'll be making his return in the san diego, followed by the pacific classic.

I hope he has a good end to his career

kingfin66
07-21-2006, 12:27 PM
It would be nice to see him win at least one more race before he fades into oblivian.

OTM Al
07-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Isn't he still eligible for a NW2X? Would like to see him win one too, but its going to take the right pace setup for him to do it.

JustRalph
07-21-2006, 03:49 PM
It would be nice to see him win at least one more race before he fades into oblivian.

I thought that had already happened........ :lol:

kingfin66
07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh and by the way, it is oblivion. My bad!

the little guy
07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Giacomo is so bad that he's actually been rejected in Oblivion and had to settle for Oblivian.

And by the way, he actually did have a great end to his career, the only problem is his connections have insisted upon running him after last year's Kentucky Derby.

KingChas
07-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Yea TLG, you bitch when they retire 'em early and you bitch when they dont.

the little guy
07-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Yea TLG, you bitch when they retire 'em early and you bitch when they dont.

Well, let's face it, I just bitch in general.

However, Giacomo's retirement I would have gotten over. I would be about as affected by it as I would be if Ms Homer Point ( in Belmont's 1st tomorrow ) were to be retired.

KingChas
07-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, let's face it, I just bitch in general.

Damm TLG you just blew my punchline. :lol:

Good Luck at the Spa 2006! :ThmbUp:

the little guy
07-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks....you too.

KingChas
07-22-2006, 01:02 AM

Jeez, king hope I never drop my Derby winners glass or he sure will. :rolleyes:

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Good posts!
I guess I'm still the only one wants a West-Coast Seabiscuit Vs. East-Coast War Admiral type match race with Giacomo and Funny Cide! (or at least them both in the same race!).

Bruddah
07-22-2006, 04:43 AM
you could handicap them for last and next to last. The two most over rated, over hyped, luckiest horses to ever race. :D

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2006, 06:32 AM
you could handicap them for last and next to last. The two most over rated, over hyped, luckiest horses to ever race. :D
___
I agree! They are the luckiest not to have career-ending injuries by now!

kenwoodallpromos
07-22-2006, 06:46 AM
And has beens?

Race #2 #7 Ghost Actor 5-2

Race #4 #4 Iza Big Star 5-1

Race #6 #2 Moscow Burning 9-2

Race #7 #1 Dance Of The Year 5-1

Race #8 #1 Preachinatthebar 7-2, #6 Giacomo 5-1

Race #9 #4 Havasu 7-2

Race #10 #1 Outofthe Blue Slew 5-1

Tom
07-22-2006, 10:12 AM
I miss Jocko taking significant parts of pools on races he had essentially no shot to win.
He is like the guy who wins the lottery, then gets drunk and blows it all.
At least FC is being placed in races wher he has a shot. I think it reasonalbe to think he could wind up at FL for one of the SB stakes races.

KingChas
07-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Good posts!
I guess I'm still the only one wants a West-Coast Seabiscuit Vs. East-Coast War Admiral type match race with Giacomo and Funny Cide! (or at least them both in the same race!).

Ken that's a great idea. :ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Race #2 #7 Ghost Actor 5-2 (WON $5.00)

Race #4 #4 Iza Big Star 5-1 (lost)

Race #6 #2 Moscow Burning 9-2 (placed)

Race #7 #1 Dance Of The Year 5-1 (lost)

Race #8 #1 Preachinatthebar 7-2, (placed) #6 Giacomo 5-1 (WON) (EXACTA $57.40)

Race #9 #4 Havasu 7-2 (lost)

Race #10 #1 Outofthe Blue Slew 5-1 (show)

2 win, 2 place, 1 show

JustRalph
07-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Giacomo cheats oblivion! good for him......... :lol:

the little guy
07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
He showed as long as he gets a five horse duel he is capable of getting up in a photo.

Tom
07-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Somehow, it is like Bob Dole and Viagara. :D

DrugSalvastore
07-23-2006, 03:34 AM
He showed as long as he gets a five horse duel he is capable of getting up in a photo.

You are embellishing.

First of all, the only other dirt route race run on the card was a 40K claimer at one mile---they ran 45 2/5ths to the half. So, 40K claimers ran 3/5ths faster to the half than they did in the Grade 2 300K San Diego Handicap.

The San Diego was fairly paceless looking on paper---and jockies notoriously over-react to situations like that. The riders of five horses in the race did all come out of the gate with the intention of hustling a bit to take advantage of the sort of paceless looking race scenerio on paper. The eventual 2nd place finisher did end up with a one length lead coming off the first turn, while under no urging.

It's not like five horses went eyeball to eyeball through crazy fast fractions.

KingChas
07-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I miss Jocko taking significant parts of pools on races he had essentially no shot to win.

Sounds like an east coast response to a west coast Funny Cide. :D

Same old story same old show.No respect for a Kentucky Derby winner who's daddy was the great Holy Bull.Hope when this guy goes to stud he becomes highly successful with his offspring.Of course then in the future you will proclaim. Giacomo's ...(You Fill In)........ was sure to produce classic winner's. :p

JPinMaryland
07-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Somehow, it is like Bob Dole and Viagara. :D

But there are no photos of Bob...Are there?

joeyreb
07-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Did any of you watch the race?

http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=19084

GeTydOn
07-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I musta been looking at the wrong video. Couldn't tell since there was no sound. I did't see a crushing five horse duel. And I saw a winner who got caught wide out of the turn home. This thread is pathetic. Funny Cide & Giacomo are lucky no injuries? I Thought Giacomo was injured after the triple crown.

alydar44
07-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I musta been looking at the wrong video. Couldn't tell since there was no sound. I did't see a crushing five horse duel. And I saw a winner who got caught wide out of the turn home. This thread is pathetic.

Shhh. Your making too much sense. Your logic would have to result in giving giacomo some credit for the win. We know thats not allowed.

46zilzal
07-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I musta been looking at the wrong video. Couldn't tell since there was no sound. I did't see a crushing five horse duel. And I saw a winner who got caught wide out of the turn home. This thread is pathetic. Funny Cide & Giacomo are lucky no injuries? I Thought Giacomo was injured after the triple crown.

flipped palate I believe. Smith could near him "roaring" in the Belmont.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
You are embellishing.

I agree with you there DrugS....I watched the race again, and didn't think the early pace was all that hot or contested.....46 for Del Mar isn't all that outrageous.....

I quite think Giacomo ran a darn nice race, and given the lack of depth in this year's older division, he could do some damage...especially if, as Mike Smith says (and this always disturbs me), he still isn't "100%"

Whatever that means....

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2006, 07:18 PM
flipped palate I believe. Smith could near him "roaring" in the Belmont.

His sire suffered from the same ailment....

KingChas
07-25-2006, 12:05 AM
I quite think Giacomo ran a darn nice race, and given the lack of depth in this year's older division, he could do some damage.......

Easy PA, I wouldn't want to see your reputation tarnished! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Easy PA, I wouldn't want to see your reputation tarnished! :lol:

Come on man, the older horses are weak as a group. Lava Man, Invasor and Flower Alley can't run in every graded race for older horses. "Doing damage" doesn't mean he's going to win the BC Classic....

There are going to be some fields like the one he caught in the San Diego that he will be able to beat. He's only raced 5 times since the Derby last year and stranger things have happened.....

KingChas
07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Come on man, .....

PA I was agreeing with you. ;)
Just watch you may be accused of not having any insight into horse flesh. :eek:
By the mightier powers. :liar:

PS; Happy Lucky 7th! :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2006, 12:26 AM
By the mightier powers. :liar:

Mightier powers have never really concerned me....they're usually only a little less wrong than us mortals anyway....

Bruddah
07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
time and results will tell the quality of Giacomo. I agree with those who think he is not much. However, he fooled me in this race. I didn't think he could even beat this weak field, especially,coming from off the shelf. He just got up, which showed me, he had enough class to beat this group of rich man wannabies. I was wrong on this race, so I may be wrong on his next. Time and results will tell. That is the real litmus test for most things. (JMHO)

delayjf
07-25-2006, 11:29 AM
CJ, anybody

Just out of curiousity, what were the speed / pace figures for the race?

alydar44
07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
time and results will tell the quality of Giacomo. I agree with those who think he is not much. However, he fooled me in this race. I didn't think he could even beat this weak field, especially,coming from off the shelf. He just got up, which showed me, he had enough class to beat this group of rich man wannabies. I was wrong on this race, so I may be wrong on his next. Time and results will tell. That is the real litmus test for most things. (JMHO)

Nice post. I don't care if people think giacomo isn't much, but when he wins a race that no 1 thought he would, don't come on here saying that the results only proves your opinion of him having no talent.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice post. I don't care if people think giacomo isn't much, but when he wins a race that no 1 thought he would, don't come on here saying that the results only proves your opinion of him having no talent.

Whatcha mean "nobody thought" Giacomo would win? He was 9/2 in a field where I believe the favorite went off at something like 3/1.....

Obviously, lots and lots of people thought he would win....

alydar44
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Whatcha mean "nobody thought" Giacomo would win? He was 9/2 in a field where I believe the favorite went off at something like 3/1.....

Obviously, lots and lots of people thought he would win....

TROLL!!!!

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
You guys make it so easy....only 64 posts....man, give me a challenge, won't you?

Tom
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Is this Vetscratch back again????

cj
07-25-2006, 05:57 PM
CJ, anybody

Just out of curiousity, what were the speed / pace figures for the race?

I haven't done the race yet, but will tomorrow. I know his Beyer was 100 as the little guy said so in another post.

classhandicapper
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I thought he ran an OK race, but that was all he needed in that field. As overrated as he was after the Derby, he still earned a reasonable figure for a 3YO at that time of year. Not Derby material, but still a nice race. With any developmental improvement he figured to be a decent 4YO. We just don't know if we are going to get it because his campaigns have been interrupted. It's hard to tell if he wasn't getting any better or his aches and pains were interfering with his progress. We'll find out soon if he can be a decent second string stakes horse.

keilan
07-25-2006, 06:29 PM
TROLL!!!!

Geez Mike on your B-Day and all........................

GMB@BP
07-26-2006, 12:03 AM
I thought he ran an OK race, but that was all he needed in that field. As overrated as he was after the Derby, he still earned a reasonable figure for a 3YO at that time of year. Not Derby material, but still a nice race. With any developmental improvement he figured to be a decent 4YO. We just don't know if we are going to get it because his campaigns have been interrupted. It's hard to tell if he wasn't getting any better or his aches and pains were interfering with his progress. We'll find out soon if he can be a decent second string stakes horse.

for the millionth time, who thought this horse was any good after the derby? i cant remember reading an article that gave the horse serious merit. how do you get overrated when everyone said you were a fluke and it was just right place at the right time?

46zilzal
07-26-2006, 12:53 AM
how do you get overrated when everyone said you were a fluke and it was just right place at the right time?
pace scenario set up just right that day.

Bruddah
07-26-2006, 06:35 AM

Try a reading and comprehension course, to help your dyslexia. I have no idea how you came to above conclusions, from my post. Or, were you just trying to start a mud fight. Either way, count me out of your little tantrum. If you can't read the written word and comprehend it, you are out gunned on this site. :confused: :bang: :lol:

classhandicapper
07-26-2006, 08:50 AM
for the millionth time, who thought this horse was any good after the derby? i cant remember reading an article that gave the horse serious merit. how do you get overrated when everyone said you were a fluke and it was just right place at the right time?

:D

Not by serious handicappers, but by the more general public, TV media...which counts for a lot because we get to bet against horses like that when they are spotted in races where they have almost no chance.