PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Sunday (9/1)

rrbauer
09-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Del Mar Sunday September 1, 2002
Fast and Firm - Rails 14 feet

It’s time for the virtual stable game. That’s where I pick which horses I want for my stable against the rest of the field and hope to get composite odds of 1-1 on a dutch win bet. This is a great game because I always get to pick first!

R1
Crackup ran big. Standing Tall has worked back nicely and Robert E (nice works-nice pedigree) for Dr. Harrington (main man Victor E. rides).

R2
I’m giving up the fav here. I’ll take Spunky Gal (jock change-should go today), Northern Blue, Serene in Seattle (Reuben has done a nice job with her) and Land Tax.

R3
Hate these races! I’ll take the favs: Gamblin Town, Prime Step and Suspicious Girl.

R4
I’m giving up the fav again. I’ll take Give Away Joe.

R5
J J Wantsthefront, Pick Of The Valley and Proud Alvin are mine.

R6
I'll take the bookends. And from the inside; and, Espy on the outside.

R7
Three in here have run my power par for the distance. A Lil Excess, Saxony and Bitingly Cold (last year). I’ll take all three.

R8
Mr. Frankel says that Dance Dreamer should be undefeated in the U. S. I’ll take him and with the other speed scratching, I’ll take The Tin Man. Then I’ll add in Kachamandi and Mister Kybelee and my team is ready to rumble!

R9
Sometimes it just ain’t fair. Unchain The Stars won his last nicely, but because the trainer had him in for $28k (instead of $32k) to get a weight break he was declared as ineligible (not enough raise off the claim). Today he’s in for $25 (out of jail) and with Misty Echo, those two will get the job done.

rrbauer
09-01-2002, 10:42 PM
Del Mar Sunday September 1, 2002
Damage

It’s time for the virtual stable game. That’s where I pick which horses I want for my stable against the rest of the field and hope to get composite odds of 1-1 on a dutch win bet. This is a great game because I always get to pick first!

R1
Crackup ran big. Standing Tall has worked back nicely and Robert E (nice works-nice pedigree) for Dr. Harrington (main man Victor E. rides). Result Firster Robert E took some money and broke on the bit to battle Standing Tall for the lead. Those two had at it into the turn when Crackup came on the outside and the three hit the lane dead even. Crackup soon got clear of ‘Tall for the win, with ‘Tall 2nd and Robert E got leg weary in the stretch, with Shuttlin along late to take 3rd. Composite odds of 1/5 forced me to go to the exacta which came back $21 for a deuce. Bet $12 collected $21.

R2
I’m giving up the fav here. I’ll take Spunky Gal (jock change-should go today), Northern Blue, Serene in Seattle (Reuben has done a nice job with her) and Land Tax. Result Spunky Gal (bet down to 4 from 12) got away on the lead (as predicted J) and when nothing else would provide some pressure, Lafitt went up on Southern Oasis. Northern Blue and ‘Seattle tracked about 3 lengths back. At the 3/8th pole the cavalry charge started with Adalgisa (4/5 ugh!) putting in her run. But ‘Gal kept on answering (although ‘Oasis took a bad step or it would’ve been closer) to get the win. ‘Oasis 2nd and Adalgisa 3rd. Comp odds (when I bet) were about 9/10 so I went ahead and did my bets 8w on 1 and 3; 6w on 7 and 4w on ‘Seattle. Bet $26 collected $43. Not great (less than 9/10) but a win is a win!

R3
Hate these races! I’ll take the favs: Gamblin Town, Prime Step and Suspicious Girl. Result Comp odds 1/10. Good! No bet. (Did launch a $2 P3 4,6,8 with 8 with 3,4,6.) Prime Step popped, cleared and went to the rail. ‘Step took them to mid-stretch when they started ganging up on her. Slew Summer, Saboya and Suspicious Girl were all grinding away. ‘Girl got the nod over ‘Summer and ‘Step save 3rd. Gamblin Town had a perfect tracking rail trip but couldn’t threaten. $18 bet on the P3.

R4
I’m giving up the fav again. I’ll take Give Away Joe. Result Going Going Gone at 3/5? You gotta be kidding me! Well they gave me 2-1 on ‘Joe and you bet your bippy I took it….a nice taste of it. Straight and new P3 launch. Oh, ‘Joe popped the gate and Lafitt gave P Val a little lesson in positioning tactics…then, at the head of the lane, ‘Joe cleared again and Trevor called it “by 5” at the end. ‘Gone was life and death to save 2nd. $40 win bet came back $124 and a new $3 P3 launched with the 3x2 in the next two legs. And, I still have the P3 from last race working. Maybe I shoulda played the P6!

R5
J J Wantsthefront, Pick Of The Valley and Proud Alvin are mine. Result Baze got Main Player out and cleared over and took them to the stretch. At the wire Highly Suspect and Pick Of The Valley were together with ‘Player 3rd. The photo said dead-heat but the stewards said that when ‘Valley and ‘Suspect bumped near the wire that it was ‘Valley’s fault and so they set him down to 2nd. End of P3’s! I didn’t put ‘Suspect on my team because I figured that Craigmyle had him long enough to screw him up. (Not quite long enough!)

R6
Bookends. And from the inside; and, Espy on the outside. Result Sashaying Slew (1st lasix) made the lead with Espy pressing from outside. And broke slowly and Smith immediately steered him off the rail and actually had him in 4th into the turn. Meanwhile Espy was making short work of this bunch and won easily. ‘Slew held on 2nd and Go for Glamour (poor start) got 3rd. Look for Baffert to take off And’s blinkers. He didn’t like it between horses one bit. Started a P4 with all the ones you know about!

R7
Three in here have run my power par for the distance. A Lil Excess, Saxony and Bitingly Cold (last year). I’ll take all three. Result All that I know is that none of my horses got out. ‘Cold was clear after the break but couldn’t advance on the lead pack. ‘Excess was pinched back at the break then came rolling up heading to the turn but ran right into traffic and had to take up. Saxony was wide all the way and managed 3rd. Oh! On The Big Screen was 1st and Carlinga 2nd. P4 is short-lived. I’m going to dinner and will finish this later.

R8
Mr. Frankel says that Dance Dreamer should be undefeated in the U. S. I’ll take him and with the other speed scratching, I’ll take The Tin Man. Then I’ll add in Kachamandi and Mister Kybelee and my team is ready to rumble! Result Didn’t see the last two races. I know that Delta Form won here at 20-1 and Tin Man was 2nd beat a neck. I had bet $18 in doubles before going out….so I’m down $18.

R9
Sometimes it just ain’t fair. Unchain The Stars won his last nicely, but because the trainer had him in for $28k (instead of $32k) to get a weight break he was declared as ineligible (not enough raise off the claim). Today he’s in for $25k (out of jail) and with Misty Echo, those two will get the job done. Result Another longshot and I didn’t see the race. Phone In The Zone pressed ‘Stars and then got the lead in the stretch to win at 19-1. ‘Stars was 2nd and didn’t get claimed so they’ll be right back at this level to get another check and maybe a win. ‘Echo was 4th. No bets, hence: No blood!

My team won 5 with 3 seconds and a third. We can do better than that! Fortunately I won some money early that I didn’t give back.

See ya tomorrow!