PDA

View Full Version : Asmussen=Blasi for Saratoga

xfile
07-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know for sure is Steve Asmussen's string will all run under Scott Blasi's name for the Saratoga meet?

ELA
07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
That was the initial plan. From what I heard Scott is heading up to the Spa. I would think continuity was a top priority here so perhaps Scott will run the operation just like Steve did vis a vis travelling from division to division. etc.

When the horses raced under Steve's name, Scott was listed as the (local) assistant, as was Toby Sheets and the others at the respective tracks. I am not sure if this was consistant throughout the US, but in the Northeast it was in the recent past.

Eric

Observer
07-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Blasi was in Saratoga for Asmussen last year as the assistant. Sheets has been the assistant at Belmont and Aqueduct. According to all the press releases about Asmussen's suspension, Blasi was taking over the horses.

xfile
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
So then....I wonder if they will run under "Toby Sheets" or "Scott Blasi" at Saratoga...:confused:

Ron
07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Simple solution: look for both.

Valuist
07-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Here's the new dilemma: are ALL of Asmussen's horses going to run under the name Scott Blasi? It says earlier in the thread that Blasi will be based at Sar. Yet I look at Saturday's DRF and see Blasi is supposed to be saddling horses at both Arlington and Ellis. Probably LS and LaD also. So maybe we won't be seeing Toby Sheets or the other main assistants as the trainer of record.

If I remember correctly, last year not all of Dutrow's horses were listed under Juan Rodriguez; only the NY ones. The Monmouth horses were listed under Lawrence Walters.

ELA
07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
In my mind it's simple, and I think the condition book would also offer some clarification regarding the listing of an assistant trainer.

I think the horses will race under Scott's name. That was the original plan and announcement. If they meet the requirements, and they choose to do so, Toby could be listed as the assistant. It doesn't matter vis a vis the trainer responsibility rule(s) and Toby may be on the grounds running the day to day operations as Scott travels around from string to string. Maybe he's in town 1 day a week, maybe 3, 5, who knows.

Eric

Ron
07-24-2006, 05:44 PM
From drf.com

"Top 2-year-olds to go on display
By DAVID GRENING

For those who breed and buy young horses, there is no place like Saratoga to showcase a talented runner.

"That's the place you want to be, that's the place you want to showcase one," said Buzz Chace, a bloodstock agent who buys horses for approximately 15 clients, many of whom will be participating at Saratoga. Chace's clients have horses with trainers such as Todd Pletcher and Scott Blasi - who has taken over for the suspended Steve Asmussen - whose barns are among the best at producing good 2-year-olds.

......."

The rest of the story is here:

http://drf.com/news/article/76766.html

BIG49010
07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Better prices, I hope it takes the fans a while to pick this up!:jump: