PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Alpine

Stevie Belmont
07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Goes first time under Canani in Del Mars Race 6. Used to be a New York horse under the care of Gary Contessa. Thought this horse had potential after he broke his maiden. He is making his grass debut. Interesting to see how he runs out there.

ELA
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I liked this horse and also thought he showed ability.

Anyone have any idea what Canani paid for this horse?

Thanks.

Eric

Stevie Belmont
07-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Not sure, but his maiden breaker was very impressive and he scored right back. People saw that and the offers came fast. I know I like what I saw from this Maryland bred.

ELA
07-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes, I agree. I saw the reply on his maiden win. I don't remember who owned him so I didn't automatically think he was racing with a "for sale" sign on him. I did like him though. I remember taking a second look when I saw him at 5-1 in his second start. I remember the field as well. I wouldn't have given any "Peace Rules" type money, LOL, but he was a nice colt. I am not in that buyers marketplace anyway.

After his maiden I could see someone giving decent money. After he won the "one other" -- that was impressive and added a lot of value. Blowing the condition helped tremendously, it didn't hurt (like with some lower priced/quality horses).

What kind of # do you think -- ??? I am thinking they were looking for a premium, but a touch of the luster might have worn off. $150k? $200k?

Eric

PS -- at that 150/200 price range, I wasn't a buyer either.

Stevie Belmont
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I would think it's a lot closer to $100,000. I was all over him in his second start being able to dicipher what I saw in the maiden breaker, he would be a threat and over looked. Whats even more funny was the maiden breaker was a MCL...I think it was $35,000. That did not bother me next out in the allowance, seeing him run was enough.

He was purchased in the winter and they kept him east. Hopes were to get him on the trail and maybe, no need to ship just yet to Cali. Did not work out, so they tried that minor stakes in Maryland. He did not show all that much today, but I think he will have some success down the road.

ELA
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
At around $100k, I would have been a buyer. Anyway, if my memory serves me correct, Maggi Moss owned a piece of this colt and he broke his maiden right after the first of the year at Aqueduct (on the inner of course). I think it was a maiden $50k. Contessa campaigned him straight through the MD stake. He was purchased before that? So, they bought him and left the horse with Contessa?

I remember him stepping up to the big leagues when he went into the Gotham -- I remember that it was his first time stretching out and he got a horrible trip.

I haven't downloaded the Del Mar cards yet (I don't follow CA racing extremely closely) but I did get a quick glance at the entries and see Arroyo is up. I also remember Arroyo's agent wanting to get on this horse when Gary had him.

Eric