PDA

View Full Version : Names that made it past the review board part 9,999,999

fouroneone
07-19-2006, 06:00 PM
(with translations from the URBAN DICTIONARY)

Today at Delmar - Gobbler's Knob http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knob+gobbler

blind squirrel
07-19-2006, 06:20 PM
(with translations from the URBAN DICTIONARY)

Today at Delmar - Gobbler's Knob http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knob+gobbler

GROUNDHOG DAY?......bill murray,a classic.

Pace Cap'n
07-19-2006, 06:26 PM
From Australia: Wooden Swallow

GameTheory
07-19-2006, 06:46 PM
There are lots of real places called Gobbler's Knob.

chrisg
07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Was entered somewhere recently: Scat Thief ...that's sick.

jballscalls
07-19-2006, 08:53 PM

we had a Sir Scat the other day.

racingrev
07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
From Australia: Wooden Swallow

Cap another interesting horse in the same race was The Girlfriend.. Thankfully for the announcers both were scratched..

The mind boggles to think what the call would be like if they ever fought out a finish.. :lol:

racingrev
07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
The worst one we have had in NZ of late is Shaat Shaat Shaat.. What a shocker....

You can guess how they wanted it called... But after speaking with the powers that be.. I called it as Shart Shart Shart...

Must say though... It lived up to it's name.. :D

BIG49010
07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
My favorite was Cunning Stunt, I think it caught Phil Georgeff in Chicago.

There has been both a harness horse and a T-bred Black Beaver.

Valuist
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
There's a Gobbler's Knob now but Knobgobbler ran at AP and Haw in the mid 90s.

ponyplayerdotca
07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Here at Woodbine, there was a 2 YO filly who debuted in 2005 called
FIRST REACH AROUND.

I couldn't believe I read that when I saw it in the form.:faint:

The other one I can remember off hand from a few years back was a horse called BIT SHEE BELIEVER.

I guess the play on words was it soundy like "bitchy" when the announcer called it.

My dad says there's a harness horse running today called HELEN'S MELLONS.

Although funny, this name is still not very befitting of a race horse.

With regards to Gobbler's Knob, I know that there ARE places called that, but does that still make it an allowable name for a horse? I don't think so.

This whole "nudge nudge wink wink" idiocy among the "horsey set" when it comes to names has always been stupid and somewhat tiresome.

You'd think they'd have some class. Just my opinion.

JPinMaryland
07-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Gobler's knob. I dont get it.

fouroneone
07-20-2006, 03:36 PM
its wordplay on Knob Gobbler.

Kind of like if i named a horse Fother Mucker

Bathless
07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
My favorite was Cunning Stunt...

I am almost 100% certain that the man who owned and named Cunning Stunt was the same man who named Bodacious Tatas and Ophelia Tatas (which initially got through the censors, but was later changed to Ophelia T.):

The one and only CESAR KIMMEL, a real fun guy and the father of trainer John Kimmel.

GameTheory
07-20-2006, 07:58 PM
With regards to Gobbler's Knob, I know that there ARE places called that, but does that still make it an allowable name for a horse? I don't think so.Why not? Not everyone has a dirty mind. If they can name a public park that, I think a horse is ok. (If not, the dirty minds win!)

Would you allow the name AIR ON A G STRING? Sure, it has "G String" in it, but it is also one of the most well-known and beloved pieces of music in the world. (There was a horse in the 50's just called G STRING, btw.)

I take it that according to you anything homonymous with any possible naughty interpretation is out?

ezpace
07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
"ONE CAR FUNERAL" ......

chrisg
07-20-2006, 09:20 PM
From DelMar last year: Coldntight

ponyplayerdotca
07-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory:

"I take it that according to you anything homonymous with any possible naughty interpretation is out?"

GameTheory,

Hi there. My opinions on this topic kinda fall into the "to each their own" category, but to answer your specific question above, "YES".

Although I know it doesn't really exist anymore, (and at a time when attracting new fans to horse racing is a very tough task), I like a positive atmosphere to be associated with the sport.

I think tounge-in-cheek innuendo when naming a horse only cheapens the sport even more (IMO).

I think FIRST REACH AROUND is a crude name. And, there can't be any mistake regarding what it's referring to.

I like T'n'A and sex and "nudge nudge wink wink" fun like everyone else, but not when it comes to naming a horse. I think these fine animals deserve upstanding names that don't allow for people to ridicule them.

And as much as I'd like to think the world doesn't think this way, they do. When they see "G STRING", they think "stripper" or "thong".

When they see "Helen's Mellons", they giggle and picture big t*ts.

I saw another horse's name the other day (can't remember where): OBEEGEEWHYEN. The written form of the acronym OBGYN for a doctor that services female genital hygiene. Again, nudge nudge wink wink, but is that necessary? I think it crosses some sort of line with regards to class.

But hey, that's just me. If it puts a smile and a giggle into some lives, maybe it's not all that bad. It's just not how I think horse racing should conduct itself.

Similar to PA's "FOTHER MUCKER" suggestion, I equate some of these names to ones that you'd never see get passed like SHOW ME YOUR BITS, or NICE ASS, or LICK THE BASE TOO.

Funny, sure, but family rated? Ah, no. But just my two cents. I don't run the world. :D :ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM

SAR on Thursday has a Scat Daddy racing on Thursday. Pletcher trains.

Owner's name is James T. Scatuorchio.

So, in this case, he's not, like, um, playing with, like, his "money stinks", um, uh-kay.

Stevie Belmont
07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Daddy Dick is a classic.

chrisg
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
SAR on Thursday has a Scat Daddy racing on Thursday. Pletcher trains.

Owner's name is James T. Scatuorchio.

So, in this case, he's not, like, um, playing with, like, his "money stinks", um, uh-kay.

Ah Hah! Thanks for the explanation. :ThmbUp:

I still think there's a scat thief out there...& I'm not referring to those turd-toting friends of Mr. Hanky :faint:

highnote
07-27-2006, 08:16 AM
"Scat " is also a style of jazz singing.

chrisg
07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
"Scat " is also a style of jazz singing.

I appreciate that & I know, but it's also a pile of sh*t.

:confused:

JustRalph
07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
I appreciate that & I know, but it's also a pile of sh*t.

:confused:

kind of like this thread.............

chrisg
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying swetyejohn's info was sh*t, but that scat is.

highnote
07-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying swetyejohn's info was sh*t, but that scat is.

That's OK. My info is probably worth shit to some people.

By the way, "scat" can also mean "get out of here" as in when you chase a cat away. You might say -- "Scat! Get out of here you old alley cat."

46zilzal
07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
had one here that the announcer called Whoof Hart-TED
but it was Hoof Hearted and it was called that by everyone else.