PDA

View Full Version : The worst managed franchise in pro sports

ceejay
07-18-2006, 08:34 PM
I know that some here give that title to the first place Mets but this is just unbelievable. Back-up goalie to GM in a day!
Barely a month after taking the job, Neil Smith is out as the general manager of the New York Islanders.

Islanders owner Charles Wang on Tuesday unexpectedly fired Smith and replaced him with goaltender Garth Snow, who retired as a player to move into the front office.
"As I made clear at the press conference last month, we are running this as a business, incorporating the opinions of our hockey operations staff - including Ted Nolan, Bryan Trottier and Pat LaFontaine," Wang said. "Despite Neil's commitment to me that he could work in this environment, he later expressed to me on a number of occasions his philosophical opposition to our business model.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AlzMSJpSIrjXPuTkXQakkCtL2bYF?slug=island ersneilsmith&prov=st&type=lgns

betchatoo
07-19-2006, 05:59 AM
The record speaks for itself. The worst managed franchise belongs to my beloved Chicago Cubs. Over 60 years without a pennant, going on a hundred without a world title. I know any team can have a bad century but this is ridiculous. Especially in one of the world's great cities with a fan base that supports the organization.

cj
07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Any thread with this title has to have the once proud, now embarrassing, Baltimore Orioles given a mention. The Angelos ownership has been a disaster for a formerly great organization full of loyal fans. The team has big market money, but very small market performance.

sq764
07-19-2006, 10:04 AM
The record speaks for itself. The worst managed franchise belongs to my beloved Chicago Cubs. Over 60 years without a pennant, going on a hundred without a world title. I know any team can have a bad century but this is ridiculous. Especially in one of the world's great cities with a fan base that supports the organization.
Hey wait a minute.. My Phillies have over 10,000 losses, which is the most of any professional sports team.

Don't sell us short, it's the only thing we are #1 at!! :-)

headhawg
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
The record speaks for itself. The worst managed franchise belongs to my beloved Chicago Cubs. Over 60 years without a pennant, going on a hundred without a world title. I know any team can have a bad century but this is ridiculous. Especially in one of the world's great cities with a fan base that supports the organization.I think that the fan support is really the problem. As long as the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs and keeps McPhail and the megabucks roll in, the North Siders will be a joke. How does Hendry get an extension? He has no eye for talent and he hired Dusty whose style doesn't seem to get it done for this team. Yet the fans come out in droves. I'm hoping that some fans will finally get so disgusted that they will switch allegiance to the South Siders. We will welcome them.

Oh wait a minute, they've won a few games recently. World Series talk is heating up again on the North Side. :lol:

But they may not be the worst managed franchise in town. As long as "Dollar Bill" Wirtz owns the Blackhawks they are the worst. One of the Original Six, and once one of the premier franchises in hockey, they are currently a complete embarrassment in the NHL.

Thank God I don't like hockey that much.

Valuist
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I was thinking that the White Sox WS win would turn the heat up a bit on the North Side....but so far the results haven't been very good.

Worst sports franchise? I think the Arizona Cardinals have to be in this team picture.

JohnNUtah
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Can't leave the Aints out of consideration.

joe
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
YES , BUT EVERYONE LOVES THE CUBS!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!! GO CUBS!!!!!!!

ELA
07-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I hate to say it, and don't want to see it happen, however the Islanders may be at the beginning stages of joining this club.

Eric

andthereoff
07-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Quit crying!!!!! Try 14 striaght LOSING SEASONS in a fricking row!!!!

andicap
07-20-2006, 01:02 AM
My nominees:

MLB: The KC Royals -- the anti-Moneyball team. Compare their line up with the Marlins who sold off their good players and are rebuilding with youth. The Royals are just a bunch of medicore veterans -- no youth movement.

In the NFL, there are a lot of choices -- so many flaky owners and dumb GMs:

Lions -- Matt Millen has to the be the worst GM in sports.
Texans -- not taking Reggie Bush
Cardinals -- Cheap and futile. Bidwill is a plague.
Saints -- Owner Benson is a moron.
Jets. Bad drafts, chaotic front office -- had Bill Bellichick and lost him.

NBA, there is no contest.
The Knicks -- largest payroll and among the worst records. Owner Jim Dolan is a dimwit.

And the winner is ------
The Knicks in a landslide. Larry Brown, one of the best coaches around couldn't win in that atmosphere. GM Isiah Thomas has gone through about three roster overhauls in two years and brought in Stephon Marbury as his savoir. Of course Marbury does improve teams -- by leaving them. (Nets, Suns).

NOTE: The Dolans who own the Knicks are neighbors and friends of Charles Wang of the Islanders. I guess they compare notes on how to run a franchise into the ground.

ceejay
09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Another brilliant move by my beloved Islanders.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-islanders-dipietro&prov=ap&type=lgns

One week shy of his 25th birthday, the brash goalie from New England grabbed a pen and confidently inked his name to a record-long, 15-year deal that will pay him $4.5 million each season until 2021, totaling $67.5 million

Zaf
09-15-2006, 12:31 AM
I am a diehard Islanders, Mets , Jets fan. Ca fait mal !!!!!!!!!!! OUCH.

Z

cj
09-15-2006, 03:04 AM
The worst managed franchise in professional sports is...

Drumroll please......

Michelle Wie! :lol::lol::lol:

michiken
09-15-2006, 06:45 AM
The Texans may have know? Perhaps there was a dark cloud surrounding Reggie Bush (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=A9G_e8ingwpFXpQAFwE5nYcB?slug=ys-bushprobe&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

cj
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
The Texans may have know? Perhaps there was a dark cloud surrounding Reggie Bush (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=A9G_e8ingwpFXpQAFwE5nYcB?slug=ys-bushprobe&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

I don't see this having much of an effect on Bush's pro career. Even if the Texans knew this, it isn't much of a reason not to draft him. I think if they knew Davis was going down for the year maybe they choose differently.

Valuist
09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I thought this was old news. The family got to live rent-free in a luxury home in L.A. It happens. Wouldn't be the first time a blue chip prospect received benefits.

No fear for the Texans: Samkin Gado is in the house.

bigmack
09-15-2006, 01:19 PM
The worst managed franchise in professional sports is...
Michelle Wie!
Hallelujah brother

http://www.sitevip.net/gifs/golf/dufferWHT_animado.gif

Valuist
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Worst managed? Or just worst performing?

bigmack
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
The family got to live rent-free in a luxury home in L.A.
San D but who's counting. Hey Valu as you're a Chicagoan, WSox or Cubbies?

1st time lasix
09-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Despite the super bowl win after being sold a few years ago.... if the Tampa Bay Bucs went about fifteen seasons in a row undefeated...they would still only be at .500. They still have the worst winning percentage in all profeesional sports. In the Tampa area..... we now trying to gain the distincion of two long term losing franchises by including the Tampa Bay Devil rays to the mix. Talk about pathetic! They will NEVER win the American League East no matter how long they exist.

Bubbles
09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
In the Tampa area..... we now trying to gain the distincion of two long term losing franchises by including the Tampa Bay Devil rays to the mix. Talk about pathetic! They will NEVER win the American League East no matter how long they exist.Could have been worse. A few years ago, before the Lightning won the Stanley Cup, it would've been three losing teams.

Valuist
09-15-2006, 04:46 PM
San D but who's counting. Hey Valu as you're a Chicagoan, WSox or Cubbies?

I grew up watching both. More of a Cub fan because my parents were Cub fans so when we'd go to games we'd go to Wrigley. But the Sox were on TV (albeit a $hitty UHF channel) back in the 70s at night so I probably saw more of their games. Loved the 1977 South Side hitmen team. They were fun to watch even though they're pitching was suspect at best. The 1984 Cubs team was very good. Probably wouldn't have beaten the Tigers that year but should've been to the World Series.

As for those other posts re: Tampa, they haven't been around long enough to be considered that futile. Call me when they go 90 years without winning a title.

rgustafson
09-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Worst managed? Or just worst performing? Without a doubt, the former eventually results in the latter.

rgustafson
09-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Headhawg has hit the nail on the head about the Cubs. Very arguably, the worst team in baseball, fighting it out with the Royals, Devil Rays and, Pirates. Out of 30 major league teams, the Cubs have the 6th highest payroll in baseball, while those other teams fill out the 27th, 28th, and 29th spots. In spite of their terrible record, I have read that the Cubs will probably set an all time attendence record this year. All ticket holders should pick one game in that final home stand to stay away from the park. Maybe that will get managements attentionI think that the fan support is really the problem. As long as the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs and keeps McPhail and the megabucks roll in, the North Siders will be a joke. How does Hendry get an extension? He has no eye for talent and he hired Dusty whose style doesn't seem to get it done for this team. Yet the fans come out in droves. I'm hoping that some fans will finally get so disgusted that they will switch allegiance to the South Siders. We will welcome them.

Oh wait a minute, they've won a few games recently. World Series talk is heating up again on the North Side. :lol:

But they may not be the worst managed franchise in town. As long as "Dollar Bill" Wirtz owns the Blackhawks they are the worst. One of the Original Six, and once one of the premier franchises in hockey, they are currently a complete embarrassment in the NHL.

Thank God I don't like hockey that much.

OTM Al
09-16-2006, 11:31 AM
The Cubs are in no way the worst managed team in baseball. They do exactly what management wants them to do, look interesting every couple years while the Tribune company just keeps raking in the bucks. No, the worst managed baseball team year in and year out in my opinion and 2004 series win aside is the Boston Red Sox. From the days of selling away all their good players to form the early Yankees championship teams, to their unofficial policies toward blacks on the team, to their giving up on franchise players while they still have plenty to offer. In 2004 they were just too good for management to screw up.

GaryG
09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
No mention of Donald Sterling and the Clippers? I doubt any other franchise has screwed up so many high draft picks and the futility remains.