PDA

View Full Version : Calders 3 day week

karlskorner
07-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Calder Race Course is starting their "experiment" of running a 3 day a week card (Fri, Sat. Sun) for the next 6 weeks. Just printed out 3/21/06, looks good, " 10 " races with 105 horses entered. This just may be the answer to the short fields everyone is complaing about. Plus they are offering all sorts of "freebies", parking, clubhouse admission, programs, $1.00 beer, half rack of ribs, baked beans, corn on the cob and cole slaw for $5.00. Be there.

betovernetcapper
07-18-2006, 04:57 PM
This sounds like a great idea. Kudos to Calder. :)

shanta
07-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Bravo Calder!

Soon maybe the field sizes will approach those at Evangeline ( 4 days a week racing)

:)

Richie

CapperLou
07-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Calder Race Course is starting their "experiment" of running a 3 day a week card (Fri, Sat. Sun) for the next 6 weeks. Just printed out 3/21/06, looks good, " 10 " races with 105 horses entered. This just may be the answer to the short fields everyone is complaing about. Plus they are offering all sorts of "freebies", parking, clubhouse admission, programs, $1.00 beer, half rack of ribs, baked beans, corn on the cob and cole slaw for $5.00. Be there.

Gee, I think I'll get over there this weekend--have not been there this year, but I like free parking, corn on cob etc. Hope they have it all this coming weekend.
Thanks Karl for the heads up!!

All the best,

CapperLou

cj
07-19-2006, 01:37 AM
The three day week is a great idea. I hope it works out well and other tracks follow suit.

The Hawk
07-19-2006, 07:44 AM
There's no question, in my mind, that this is the answer to unappealing racing products. If all tracks would do this we'd all be better off. The next step would be a seasonal break, but one step at a time.

karlskorner
07-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Hope your on their mailing list, otherwise none of the above freebies apply. A simple phone call, e-mail whatever, will get you there.

CapperLou
07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Hope your on their mailing list, otherwise none of the above freebies apply. A simple phone call, e-mail whatever, will get you there.

I'm on their list, but the last mailing I received was for some weekend in June. Received a letter indicating I had to use my Twin Spires card before end of July or would lose all my points. With the weather being so hot now, I think it would be a good idea to get over there at least one day a week and enjoy myself instead of using the computer all the time--couped up in canned air. Thx for letting me know.

CapperLou

Niko
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
A track does that and I'll play all 3 days every week!! Love it! Hope it works out well for them and a few other tracks that need to, take notice. Now let's add one day of all maidens for those like to play them (I'll sit out)

joe
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
LIKE THE 3 DAYS!!! PARKING AND ADMISSION SHOULD ALWAYS BE FREE... PROGRAMS AND BEER $1.00, ILL GO FOR THAT!!!!.... SAT. 22nd race 7, 2mi., Tacit Agreement=[prefile] 7-6-18-1-6=38...ID=1.38....CD=o.18.......A J MELINI=6-2-6-4-0[18]...ID=1.57...CD=0.56.....and ONE OFF=9-4-12-4-1[30]...ID=1.74...CD=0.53.....have a good chance of being in the frist 4 some where.?.....:confused: .....

CryingForTheHorses
07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
While its going to take a few weeks for horseman to get used to it.I like the idea as there will be bigger fields to select better claims from.The best thing being for the horseman is the purses going up. A 5k claimer now will run for 10k.

Wiley
07-19-2006, 01:38 PM
I like the idea as there will be bigger fields to select better claims from.
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but you as a trainer, wouldn't you want to run in short field races with usually an easier chance at purse money? or is the increase in purse in a larger field race due to a fewer number of races enough to offset this difference? Bigger fields are definitely more enticing to the bettor or at least this bettor. Just wondering.

karlskorner
07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
You should have received the following mailings:

7/21/06 Free parking, admission and PP program, plus BBQ and Brew offer
7/22/06 Free admission PLUS " FREE " $10.00 (and up) MUTUAL TICKET
7/23/06 Free parking, admission and PP program plus "Seafood Sunday".
Coconut shrimp, conch fritters, grouper fingers and cole slaw all for
$5.00. Rum Runners and Pina Coladas for $4.00
7/29/06 Free parking, admission and PP program

Really has nothing to do with Twin Spires club. I think you are on the wrong list. Get on the phone or e-mail Mke Cronin,V.P. Marketing and tell them you want to be put on the "mailing list". Over the years they have given some nice gifts away, aside from the usual T-shirts, caps that other tracks give away, I have a couple of shoulder carrying thermos bottles, couple of leather shoulder carrying bags which I use all the time, holds notebooks, glasses, stop watch, refreshments and what ever you bring to the track. The "FREE" $10.00 mutual ticket should bring out the people, pays for parking, a bowl of chowder and a coffee and Bostom creme doughnut. with something left over. Be there.

CryingForTheHorses
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but you as a trainer, wouldn't you want to run in short field races with usually an easier chance at purse money? or is the increase in purse in a larger field race due to a fewer number of races enough to offset this difference? Bigger fields are definitely more enticing to the bettor or at least this bettor. Just wondering.

I love short fields..Only thing is you will have 1 hot horse in them and have to shake for a claim..I love to strike when its least expected..

Ron
07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
This must not be that great for the people that work at Calder.

CryingForTheHorses
07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
You should have received the following mailings:

7/21/06 Free parking, admission and PP program, plus BBQ and Brew offer
7/22/06 Free admission PLUS " FREE " $10.00 (and up) MUTUAL TICKET
7/23/06 Free parking, admission and PP program plus "Seafood Sunday".
Coconut shrimp, conch fritters, grouper fingers and cole slaw all for
$5.00. Rum Runners and Pina Coladas for $4.00
7/29/06 Free parking, admission and PP program

Really has nothing to do with Twin Spires club. I think you are on the wrong list. Get on the phone or e-mail Mke Cronin,V.P. Marketing and tell them you want to be put on the "mailing list". Over the years they have given some nice gifts away, aside from the usual T-shirts, caps that other tracks give away, I have a couple of shoulder carrying thermos bottles, couple of leather shoulder carrying bags which I use all the time, holds notebooks, glasses, stop watch, refreshments and what ever you bring to the track. The "FREE" $10.00 mutual ticket should bring out the people, pays for parking, a bowl of chowder and a coffee and Bostom creme doughnut. with something left over. Be there.

Geeze Karl..You remind me of "Peanut Butter"..Do you know him?.. He works for the track photographer..He love freebes...Hell he has shirts that GP gave away 20 years ago..He has a extensive collecton of programs and racing memorabilia from yester years..Too bad you are soooo shy..Would love to meet you.

karlskorner
07-19-2006, 05:57 PM
90 percent of what GP/CRC gives away I pass on to my Grandchildren/GreatGrandchildren or strangers, I only keep whats useful to me. The only reason I accept the gifts is I am afraid if they don't give enough gifts away, they may stop. Looking forward to Sundays Conch fritters, to bad most out there haven't tasted them.

MANOWAR
07-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't like this one bit! This going to hurt longshot players like myself, because longshot wins are VERY hard to come by on the weekends. I really hope the next 6 weeks at Calder are disastrous!

karlskorner
07-19-2006, 08:19 PM
" Longshot's are VERY hard to find on weekends ", hard to believe. There are 105 horses running in 10 races come Friday at CRC, think there is a longshot or two there, or would you rather invest in a 5 horse race. To quote Jay Trotter " do you like the odds on lightning "

MANOWAR
07-19-2006, 08:49 PM
You're talking about Friday's, I'm referring to Saturday's and Sunday's. Saturday's and Sunday's are worst 2 days of the week to make a profit with horses going off at 10-1 or higher. These high priced longshots have no chance of winning on the weekends, that's why the race during the week, against less classier horses. If trainers are forced to race their less classier horses on the weekends, they'll be cut to ribbons.

CryingForTheHorses
07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
You're talking about Friday's, I'm referring to Saturday's and Sunday's. Saturday's and Sunday's are worst 2 days of the week to make a profit with horses going off at 10-1 or higher. These high priced longshots have no chance of winning on the weekends, that's why the race during the week, against less classier horses. If trainers are forced to race their less classier horses on the weekends, they'll be cut to ribbons.

I dont think trainers are "forced" to run their horses. You may get owners who see dollar bills instead of races.You should run your horse where he belongs..That way you can run anytime weekends or weekdays..Make no difference to me.

GaryG
07-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Tom, btw keep up the great work...

kitts
07-20-2006, 03:42 PM
And if the Calder revenue earned by the Great State of Florida decreases I wonder how long it will take to drop this plan.

I have been playing SoCall racing for many many years and this idea has been tried before there. They used to race SA Winter, HOL Summer, DMR and FPX. No racing from September to December. Time passes and they were racing on almost every day of the year. When cutbacks were proposed they were few and tiny. Fewer racing days is the only solution to maintaining some sort of live racing. Bigger purses and larger fields.

And, "slots" are a given, IMHO

MANOWAR
07-20-2006, 04:19 PM
If trainers can't race their less classier horses during the week, then they'll have to race them on the weekends, which I'm sure that some of them don't want to do. They have more of a chance with them during the week than on the weekends. These horses just can't compete against classier horses that usually race on the weekends. I can't see it happening.

CryingForTheHorses
07-20-2006, 08:38 PM
If trainers can't race their less classier horses during the week, then they'll have to race them on the weekends, which I'm sure that some of them don't want to do. They have more of a chance with them during the week than on the weekends. These horses just can't compete against classier horses that usually race on the weekends. I can't see it happening.

My friend you are confused..Did you know they have what is called a condition book..That book gives you the races for your horse..IF you have a 5k claimer..you are going to run him in a 5k claimer..It doesnt matter if its during the week or the weekend.

MANOWAR
07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I believe your wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a 5k race or a 20k race, the best of the best are going to race on the weekends, and the less fortunate are going to race during the week.

CryingForTheHorses
07-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I believe your wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a 5k race or a 20k race, the best of the best are going to race on the weekends, and the less fortunate are going to race during the week.

Well I guess I am wrong...I have never raced a horse!!!!!

Ron
07-21-2006, 02:11 PM

What's the difference between a weekday and a weekend? There are more expensive races on weekends but they all race to the conditions.

Niko
07-21-2006, 02:33 PM
ManOWar has me confused also. It's not too hard to find longshots on the weekends. Some days may be chalky but they can be during the middle of the week also. Why would the track have bigger races on the weekdays when less people can attend? Fans want to see the best horses on the grounds when they can.

I do believe McShell knows what he's talking about.....he only trains horses and judging by posts and stats, does a good job at it with limited stock.

Tom
07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Just imagine how well Tom could do if he knew better than to race his bad horses on weekends! :lol:

MANOWAR
07-21-2006, 06:21 PM
The best races are carded for the weekends, not the weekdays, and THAT'S when I'll make a profit. I NEVER made a profit playing longshots on the weekends. If I have an easier time making a profit during the week playing longshots, then I have to BELIEVE that the reason I can't make a profit on the weekends is because of the classier horses that race on the weekends. This is my belief! There's no other reason that I can come up with that tells me otherwise.

CryingForTheHorses
07-21-2006, 07:04 PM
The best races are carded for the weekends, not the weekdays, and THAT'S when I'll make a profit. I NEVER made a profit playing longshots on the weekends. If I have an easier time making a profit during the week playing longshots, then I have to BELIEVE that the reason I can't make a profit on the weekends is because of the classier horses that race on the weekends. This is my belief! There's no other reason that I can come up with that tells me otherwise.

You are right in 1 point as the best races being carded for weekends,BUT remember the condition book dictates what day each and every race is on whether it be a cheap claimer or alw or stake horses.I can see you getting a better longshot winning in the alw stake races,Cheap claimers win as favorites more often as its very hard to beat a classy cheap claimer when he runs on the bottom. When you have a mixture of alw horses there are many who can win the race rather then 1 horse when you run the claimer..JMO

Whitehos
07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Tom,
If you ever do race a horse do you think you could beat it?
Whitehos

Whitehos
07-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Karl,
Whats a crouch Fritter?
Whitehos

Hosshead
07-21-2006, 11:08 PM
So are they running 10 races/day X 3 days = 30 Races a Week ?
vs.
What were they running, 9 (or 8) races/day X 5 days = 45 Races a Week ?

I know the fields are large, but thats 45-40 Races a Week vs. 30 Races a Week?
I wonder if the money bet on the larger fields will make up for fewer races?

Also:
If you're looking at the condition book, a lot fewer races to spot your horse.

karlskorner
07-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Sorry, should read conch. The meat in a Gastropod shell.