PDA

View Full Version : Haskell?

alydar44
07-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Right now I do not know of 1 horse that is a go for the haskell

Probably the long branch winner will show up but who else? I think bluegrass cat along with ap warrior and point determined should show but I have not heard anything about them pointing towards the race. Any insights?

Stevie Belmont
07-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Sinister Minister, Praying For Cash, Bluergrass Cat, Deputy Glitters are all pretty much on target..Wards Minister Bid is under consderation. I am not aware that either Point Determined or AP Arrow are going. Arson Sqaud was under consideration as well. Latent Heat is a possibilty as well.

ELA
07-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Sinister Minister, Praying For Cash, Bluergrass Cat, Deputy Glitters are all pretty much on target..Wards Minister Bid is under consderation. I am not aware that either Point Determined or AP Arrow are going. Arson Sqaud was under consideration as well. Latent Heat is a possibilty as well.

That's a great list and I think it's representative of the "talk" now. I know that based upon the overall landscape, when Mike Melendez, Mike Dempsey and Bobby Kulina make phone calls and start looking for definite horses, part of their sales pitch is going to be a lack of definite starters to date. A lack of depth, quality, etc., positioned the right way can attract horses.

I don't think they'll be "short" for that kind of purse, LOL.

Eric

cj
07-19-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm actually going to go this year, first time in many years. I think my last was when Forty Niner nosed Seeking the Gold.

Stevie Belmont
07-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah it's a decent group if they can get get most of them. Sinister Minister was pointed to the race the moment the Deby ended. Baffert should have him sharp as a razor on the Monmouth Highway....Can assure you they will try what they did in the Bluegrass, an iside post would help. I'll be there in the front row by the winners circle with a cooler packed with Becks and stuff. Only day of the year where I actually drink at the track...It's always a fun day.

alydar44
07-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I plan on going to monmouth on haskell day for the first time. Any thing I should know?

Stevie Belmont
07-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Biggest Crowd of the year...if you want a seat outside, get there before 11..Lots of people with 5 or more hats...Alot of drunks as the day goes on, and there are the some people that come every year scoping out purses and stuff, just a few of those but they are there. Other then that it's a good day. Solid card.

fiveouttasix
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I have attended Haskell Day the last 20 years. My advice would be to get there early if you want to get a seat. I usually sit in the paddock area on the clubhouse side under a shade tree. It can be a very long day as the gates open at 10:00 or 10:30 and the big race is not until 5:00 (appx.) More than once I have left early but I always get my Haskell hat!

Stevie Belmont
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Ward had indicated he would like to run Ministers Bid in the Haskell...Changed his mind. Minister will go in the Jim Dandy. Strong Conteder will run in the Haskell. Shaping up to be a very nice race now.

Tom
07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
I plan on going to monmouth on haskell day for the first time. Any thing I should know?

Directions to the track. :rolleyes:

Zaf
07-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Directions to the track. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:

Z

Doc
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm disappointed that Baffert is running Point Determined rather than Sinister Minister - I thought the paved Monmouth highway would suit the Minister to a "tee." Oh well. :(

A horse who could hit the board at a decent price, and who is very highly thought of by his connections, is Awfully Smart. He's trained by Alan "Show Me the Money" Goldberg and was very impressive winning the Leonard Richards at Delaware two weeks ago.
Doc :)

KingChas
07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
and there are the some people that come every year scoping out purses and stuff, just a few of those but they are there. .

Stevie, I've been attending Monmouth for years.
Never seen or heard of this. :confused:

Doc
07-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Me neither - and I've been going there for over 30 years. I've never had a problem at Monmouth.

Doc

Stevie Belmont
07-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Stevie, I've been attending Monmouth for years.
Never seen or heard of this. :confused:

Well it's only a couple of clowns that pop up some time during the day outside along the fence. Iv'e seen the same guy every year just looking at peoples stuff. When I make eye contact with the creep, he bails. Problem is nobody notices him.

Last year this one mexican guy was abusive and threw a whiskey bottle on the ground. It broke. He was totally wasted. The old, senile security looked on. The dude finally left, but should have been dealt with much earlier. This one preppy family looked scared. These are very isolated problems. The one thing for sure about Monmouth Park is, the security staff is horrible.

Stevie Belmont
07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm disappointed that Baffert is running Point Determined rather than Sinister Minister - I thought the paved Monmouth highway would suit the Minister to a "tee." Oh well. :(

A horse who could hit the board at a decent price, and who is very highly thought of by his connections, is Awfully Smart. He's trained by Alan "Show Me the Money" Goldberg and was very impressive winning the Leonard Richards at Delaware two weeks ago.
Doc :)

Baffert had said early on that Sinister Minister was Haskell bound, what happened since is anyones guess. He might not be ready, not sure. Class wise he would have been under the gun. His style certainly fit the track. The Haskell has been a chalk fest in the past. Bluegrass and Strong Contender look like top choices as of now.

Doc
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I was looking through the Del Mar barn notes for any mention of Sinister Minister, but found none. I thought I saw he worked about a week ago, five furlongs in a minute. Maybe he's sore or something.

Stevie Belmont
07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Well as reported on Bloodhorse, no Baffert runner in this years Haskell. I did not think Point Determined could be ready, after two grueling races in a row out west.

ELA
07-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Yes sir, no Baffert this year -- perhaps they didn't offer enough money, or he didn't have a horse that commanded an offer, LOL.

I think I remember Baffert saying that if Point Determined came back, was ready, etc., then it was a target or a go. So, he's not ready. Not sure about the others though.

Baffert -- like him or not -- is no dummy. Very far from it. He tends to look at the big picture, often in a more strategic way than others. Although I don't follow CA racing as much as I'd like/want, I do watch him and the moves he makes with his horses.

Eric

Stevie Belmont
07-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Point Determined was all out to beat AP Arrow, then on short rest ran in the Swaps. He ran hard in both races, plus the triple crown campaign. He is probably not near 100% for a top effort, and he would need to be to even consider hitting the board next week.

Stevie Belmont
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Sinister Minister worked today. Still would not be surprised if he is entered the last minute. Knowing Baffert style of surprising moves in the past. I think the horse is fit according to some pretty decent works.

ELA
07-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Sinister Minister worked today. Still would not be surprised if he is entered the last minute. Knowing Baffert style of surprising moves in the past. I think the horse is fit according to some pretty decent works.

Great point. Baffert is sharp and he likes having options, and plays them well. If the race came up "soft" in his opinion, sure, why not, if his horse is sharp, fit, etc. As said before, this colt's running style suits Monmouth.

Eric

Stevie Belmont
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
All systems go for the Haskell on Sunday. A field of 9 headed by Bluegrass Cat will go. Flashy Bull will likely go in the West Virgina Derby instead. BlueGrass Cat and Strong Contender will be the favorites. Praying For Cash will attempt the Upset, but has legitmate distance concerns. His speed is his best asset. Should run a good one. Has been a chalky race in years past. It's hard to look past the top 2. Awfully Smart is coming off a big effort. I'll be there early. Should be a good day with temps in the mid 80's.