PDA

View Full Version : The Dems and New Taxes: Daily Kos

JustRalph
07-18-2006, 05:04 AM
This from the Daily Kos.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/7/17/10210/5660

~snippet~

I suggest imposing a war surcharge on the top three income tax rates. The 28% rate would be raised to 31% (about a 10% surcharge). The 33% rate would be raised to 39% (a 20% surcharge) and the 35% rate would be raised to 45% (about a 30% surcharge). Examination of the brackets will show that this will effect those most able to pay the most. Those who have been squeezed by rising costs and stagnant pay scales will be unaffected.

In addition I would limit the amount of interest that can be deducted for a mortgage. The amount of interest that could be deducted on the income tax would be capped at $25,000. Second mortgages and home equity loans would not be eligible for interest deductions. At present interest rates near 5% this would allow borrowing $500,000 in principal which is sufficient to finance the bulk of homes in the country. Median home prices for existing homes are currently in the range of $320,000 so a $500,000 cap on principal would only affect the most expensive houses. ~end snippet~

Throw these numbers around inside your daily budget and see if you can figure out how much more you would be paying?

Power and Money.......they are not mutually exclusive in the Democratic world
Go Ahead..........be pissed at the Republican Congress....... I know I am. But I can't fathom handing over the country to these guys..........

*Note: they still don't get it when it comes to so called "corporate taxes"
I will say it again.......Corporations don't pay taxes.........their customers do!

ljb
07-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Only one point.
Sometimes, because of competition, Corporations cannot pass this cost on to the consumer. They have to take it out of the executive's bonuses. Ouch that's gotta hurt.

Suff
07-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Your over at Dailykos surfing around huh? Great. I'm happy for you. I try and get around and see what my Fellow Americans are saying as well.

Since I have been a member of Kos for nearly 3 years I thought I might help you and any other new or occasional reader in how it works.

You found this "war tax " diary on the rescued diary front page area. Rescued diaries appears once per week on what is called the front page.

The reason it is being rescued is it was deemed unworthy by the readership and didnt retain any face time on Dailykos.

The diary section is on the right. This War Tax thread is nothing more than one members opinion. He writes a diary with his thoughts , and members, with their votes, either rise it up or sink it. This one sunk.

The moderators go through the 100's of weekly diaries and suggest members take a 2nd look at them. What that criteria is I don't know.

I do know that the diary was rated very low by Kos members, and was barley recommended for readership. I happen to agree with many of the points of the diary, but it is clear many do not because it was not highly rated.

With a membership in the mid 6 figures, a highly rated diary gets a couple of hundred recommends and will be the TOP diary on the right.

This one never made into the top 50.

Suff
07-20-2006, 08:27 AM
68% of America disagree's with George Bush and the Republican Party.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/7/19/203820/106

Words from the Senate Floor yesterday

So with one arrogant, arrogant stroke of the pen, he dashed the bill and dashed the hopes of millions of Americans....Where is this President's compassion? How dare this President call himself a compassionate conservative?

So, Mr. President, in all these cases, we look back in a sense of astonishment that people could be so blind. So blinded by a narrow-minded view of religion or ideology, that they could stand in the way of scientific progress that has saved lives, eased pain and made life better for so many people.

Twenty or thirty years from now, history books will ask the same questions about this President. People will wonder, how could he have objected to research that has led to so much good for so many people?

I don't get it. Who gave the President the authority to draw that line? He may be the President of the United States, but he's not the moral authority for all Americans. I say Mr. President, you are not our moral ayatollah. You don't have that right and you don't have that power. Oh, you can veto legislation, you can veto it...He vetoed it because he said it was immoral...tantamount to murder. No, I'm sorry but it is hyprocisy at the extreme for the President to take that position

ljb
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I guess they will just have to flush all those unwanted embryos down the toilet.

Heaven forbid we should use these embryos to advance science and medical care.
Perhaps the neocons will call this "burial at sea".