PDA

View Full Version : And you thought you were dedicated

Hank
07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Back when the first time lasix angle all all the rage,The imcomparable irrepressilbe Handicapper author MR. Mark Cramer treated HIMSELF with lasix and went for his regular run to see if he would be faster.I Love that little guy:lol:

Sailwolf
07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Back when the first time lasix angle all all the rage,The imcomparable irrepressilbe Handicapper author MR. Mark Cramer treated HIMSELF with lasix and went for his regular run to see if he would be faster.I Love that little guy:lol:

I think the result was he did not run any faster, but the trips to the bathroom were interesting:jump:

ryesteve
07-17-2006, 11:38 PM
... and I think the follow-up was, "When is he going to investigate the impact of first-time gelding?"

Dave Schwartz
07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
... and I think the follow-up was, "When is he going to investigate the impact of first-time gelding?"

:lol:

Dan Montilion
07-18-2006, 12:16 AM

If he is a married man, that ship has sailed.

46zilzal
07-18-2006, 12:39 AM
what is really funny is that BUTE created more bleeders than any exercise induced epistaxis.

I still have NOT seen any substantial studies that prove that furosemide lowers pulmonay blood pressure significantly enough to warrent it's WIDESPREAD use. I am suprised there aren't more siezures in these horses after have all their electrolytes screwed up with this strong duretic.

You rarely see these meds in the young and ostensibly healthy as is NOT the case with these horses.

sealord
07-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Speaking of Lasix, does anybody have an ROI on first time users of the last five, ten, and twenty years? Just curious...thanks in advance.

BTW, for those of us who aren't intimately familiar with Lasix, wikipedia.com has a nice set of articles to catch us (me) up. I knew it was an anti-bleed med, but never knew why. Now I know the theory, but like 46 said, don't really know the effectiveness.

Snag
07-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know what the regs are for the administration of 1st time Lasix? Is it a state by state thing? I've always heard that the horse has to have bleeded first but 46 reminded me that a number of 2 yr old FST run with lasix. I'm confused as usual.

DJofSD
07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
I believe it's state by state.

For California:
1845. Authorized Bleeder Medication.
Authorized bleeder medication for the control of exercised induced pulmonary hemorrhage (EIPH) may be
administered to a horse on the authorized bleeder medication list.
(a) A horse is eligible to race with authorized bleeder medication if the licensed trainer and/or veterinarian
determines it is in the horse’s best interest. If a horse will race with authorized bleeder medication, form
CHRB 194 (New 08/04), Authorized Bleeder Medication Request, which is hereby incorporated by
reference, shall be used to notify the official veterinarian prior to entry.
(b) The official laboratory shall measure the specific gravity of post-race urine samples to ensure samples
are sufficiently concentrated for proper chemical analysis. The specific gravity of such samples shall not be
below 1.010.
(c) If the specific gravity of the post-race urine sample is determined to be below 1.010, or if a urine sample
is not available for testing, quantitation of furosemide in serum or plasma shall then be performed.
Concentrations may not exceed 100 nanograms of furosemide per milliliter of serum or plasma.
(d) A horse qualified to race with authorized bleeder medication shall be assigned to a pre-race security stall
prior to the scheduled post time for the race in which it is entered, and shall remain there until it is taken to
the receiving barn or the paddock to be saddled or harnessed for the race. While in the security stall, the
horse shall be in the care, custody, control and constant view of the trainer, or a licensed person assigned by
the trainer. The trainer shall be responsible for the condition, care and handling of the horse while it remains
in the security stall. The official veterinarian may permit a horse to leave the security stall to engage in track
warm-up heats prior to a race.
(e) A horse qualified for administration of authorized bleeder medication must be treated on the grounds of
the racetrack where the horse will race no later than four hours prior to post time of the race for which the
horse is entered. The authorized bleeder medication, furosemide, shall be administered by a single
intravenous injection only, in a dosage of not less than 150 mg. or not more than 500 mg. A horse racing
with furosemide must show a detectable concentration of the drug in the post-race serum, plasma or urine
sample. The veterinarian administering the bleeder medication shall notify the official veterinarian of the
treatment of the horse. Such Notification shall be made using CHRB form-36 (New 08/04), Bleeder
Treatment Report, which is hereby incorporated by reference, not later than two hours prior to post time of
the race for which the horse is entered. Upon the request of a Board representative, the veterinarian
administering the authorized bleeder medication shall surrender the syringe used to administer such
medication, which may then be submitted for testing.
(f) A horse placed on the official authorized bleeder medication list must remain on the list unless the
licensed trainer and/or veterinarian requests that the horse be removed. The request must be made using
CHRB form 194 (New 08/04), and must be submitted to the official veterinarian prior to the time of entry.
A horse removed from the authorized bleeder medication list may not be placed back on the list for a period
of 60 calendar days unless the official veterinarian determines it is detrimental to the welfare of the horse. If
a horse is removed from the authorized bleeder medication list a second time in a 365-day period, the horse
may not be placed back on the list for a period of 90 calendar days.
(g) If the official veterinarian observes a horse bleeding externally from one or both nostrils during or after a
race or workout, and determines such bleeding is a direct result of EIPH, the horse shall be ineligible to race
for the following periods:
· First incident—14 days;
· Second incident within 365-day period—30 days;
· Third incident within 365-day period—180 days;
· Fourth incident within 365-day period—barred for racing lifetime.
For the purposes of counting the number of days a horse is ineligible to run, the day after the horse bled
externally is the first day of such period. The voluntary administration of authorized bleeder medication
without an external bleeding incident shall not subject a horse to the initial period of ineligibility as defined
under this subsection.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19440 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections
19580 and 19581, Business and Professions Code.
HISTORY:
1. Amendment filed 7-11-75; effective 8-10-75.
2. Repealer and new rule filed 10-29-81; effective 11-28-81.
3. Amendment filed 2-9-84; effective 2-9-84.
4. Amendment of subsections (e) and (f) filed 8-13-91; effective 9-12-91.
5. Amendment filed 4-27-05; effective 5-27-05.

Cesario!
07-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Back when the first time lasix angle all all the rage,The imcomparable irrepressilbe Handicapper author MR. Mark Cramer treated HIMSELF with lasix and went for his regular run to see if he would be faster.I Love that
little guy:lol:

This guy is my hero. Scared Money is a wondeful book -- along with his other insightful works.

And I'm going to be laughing about that first time gelding comment all morning.:lol: