PDA

View Full Version : Software drawbacks??

Hank
07-17-2006, 09:45 PM
After many years of old fasion capping I decided to try a handicapping app to help out[AIO V6] a very nice tool overall,BUT I think that I'll be discontinueing use of it shortly.It seems to have dulled my capping skills,also when YOUR opinion of the race differs with the app, getting caught in the switches creates great aggravation,also because its automated so well file download paceline selection ect laziness can creep in also.Feel much sharper and in tune with good old fashioned capping,thinking a program like CJ's or HTR would fit me better, just give me the info let me cap.Similar experience??

Tom
07-17-2006, 09:51 PM
I do not want any program telling who to bet.
I use both CJ and HTR for the very reason you mention-they provie me with good information, and I make the decisions. If you're just going to print out a report and make automatic bets, you might as well play stocks.
JMHO.

ELA
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Good thread/points. I've never used any software before. It seems that many people here do, so I started reading the various threads/posts.

Anyway, while I am not familiar with any of the software programs mentioned -- I was always concerned that certain software, not all of them of course, required some level of "handicapping of the data" that the software presented. Perhaps I am wrong about that. I also thought that it might take a handicapper "out of their game" which of course may not be a bad thing. But a "dulling" of skills, or not being as sharp is something that I could see.

I know a guy who has been a professional his entire life, around 40 years now. Several years ago, he started using some "addtional" data to see if he could incorporate it into his standardized work. One of the things that went on was that, for a variety of reasons, it took him away, in part, from what had made him successful. He started to get distracted from major factors he used before. I don't know if I would/could call it "dulling" but it might have been more of a "distraction" or something of the like.

Eric

Bruddah
07-17-2006, 11:36 PM
are why I use Jeff P's JCapper. It allows you to use your own style of handicapping. However, if you want to seek some answers or trends to fine tune your style, it's at your finger tips. Jeff is a computer/ handicappng genius. I know there are several others on this forum, which fall into this category. I suppose, you need to find a comfort level with your style of handicapping, the software and the programmer. I am just happy to have found the "Best". (JMHO) :jump:

46zilzal
07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
MOST software tools are just that: YOU use them the way YOU find that works. MOST have so many data screens that you have to really decide to use LESS not MORE.

The great book BLINK changed my outlooks temendously in that regard.

kitts
07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Hank-

I like folks who agree with me. :o)

I also use All-In-One V6 and find it gives me a good handle on the "numbers" and I rely on my own skill to pick contenders. After the software tells me what it figured out, I feel I can then finalize a decision based mostly on value and race shape.

PlanB
07-18-2006, 07:55 PM
One question about race shapes nags me. A race has 1 speedster that's
easy to spot. The track seems dry and fast, yet even after setting moderate
or slow fractions, he gets caught. Why?

ratpack
07-18-2006, 08:18 PM
One question about race shapes nags me. A race has 1 speedster that's
easy to spot. The track seems dry and fast, yet even after setting moderate
or slow fractions, he gets caught. Why?

Did not have the CLASS?

michiken
07-18-2006, 09:02 PM
The 'high figure horse' may get caught because of any of the following reasons:

1. The last race allowed the horse to run free and easy on the lead. His energy distribution was unchallenged on the front end and there was no early pace pressure. This is what I refer to as 'winning a race in the first fraction'.

2. The horse may have shot his best effort in the high fig race. If the horse was all out, he may have returned to the paddock sore or drained of energy.

3. Look at the time frame since that high energy fig. Many times you may notice that the figures were earned many months and in some cases years ago. In general, I prefer the race to be recent in regards both to the way the track is playing and less than 45 - 60 days.

4. The horse may be entered at the wrong distance. While it may be possible for the early gun to get and hold the lead at 5f, stretching that speed to 6 or 7f even with slow fractions may lead to the horses demise.

5. The trainer may simply not be pointing for this race. He may be giving the horse a breather while trying to maintain it's form. Make a mental note of these types as they can come back to win later on.

6. Was the high figure earned at a different track? or a different class level? i.e. a cheap maiden finally stepping up to non winners of 2?

7. There is a falacy belief that seems to exist that if a horse can lead at the half, that he will be able to finish on the lead. Indicators like turn time and final fraction ( or counter energy) can often help you judge if the pace figures were valid.

8. A simple calculation that I do for final fraction using bris figs is to subtract the E2 pace fig from the speed fig i.e. [E2 = 97 - Spd = 78] = minus -19.

Depending on the race, if a horse has a minus 18 or lower, I will eliminate them from the win.

9. The horse may have earned his figures on a highly biased track.

10. Scan down the horses other pacelines. Does he exhibit a pattern of quitting? Did he all of a sudden pop a big figure while the remaining pacelines show nothing to support it? (Mountaineer is notorious for this - 97 speed fig one day and 45 the next).

11. This may also happen when the jockey gives and over-confident ride. They handicap too and know that they can lead if they want. Sometimes, the jock may be following the trainer's instructions to go for the lead -> even when the jock thinks differently.

PlanB
07-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Insightful points Michiken, mostly for me points 2-4-5. Two mostly.
Points 7 and 8 I lack knowledge of. Please keep these points alive.