PDA

View Full Version : Best sports team?

Valuist
07-17-2006, 11:37 AM
IF you put any credence in the ESPYs, ESPN's self-congratulatory awards, can you really say the Pittsburgh Steelers were the top team from 2005?

I don't think so. While there's no question the Steelers were the dominant team during the NFL playoffs but they weren't during the regular season (one can argue they didn't become dominant until the calendar turned to 2006) The Colts were. In fact, the Colts kicked their ass in a regular season meeting. So the Steelers did not dominate the NFL. Maybe I'm biased, being from Chicago, but I think the White Sox were more deserving. They were the dominant team in MLB from start to finish. I can also see someone making a strong case for the Texas Longhorn football team.

sq764
07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
IF you put any credence in the ESPYs, ESPN's self-congratulatory awards, can you really say the Pittsburgh Steelers were the top team from 2005?

I don't think so. While there's no question the Steelers were the dominant team during the NFL playoffs but they weren't during the regular season (one can argue they didn't become dominant until the calendar turned to 2006) The Colts were. In fact, the Colts kicked their ass in a regular season meeting. So the Steelers did not dominate the NFL. Maybe I'm biased, being from Chicago, but I think the White Sox were more deserving. They were the dominant team in MLB from start to finish. I can also see someone making a strong case for the Texas Longhorn football team.
I agree, I think the White Sox basically dominated the entire post season.

Hell, Steelers shouldn't have even gotten to the SB if not for a miracle tackle by Rothersburger

melman
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
ESPN is good at one thing and one thing only and that is self-promotion. They have taken the word "hype" to a new level. And once someone is watching there "hyped" great event they are promoting another one. :jump: I don't think there is any doubt that of all the teams in 2005 the White Sox were THE team of the year.

Ron
07-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I agree, I think the White Sox basically dominated the entire post season.

Hell, Steelers shouldn't have even gotten to the SB if not for a miracle tackle by Rothersburger

Uhhh, I think the fumble by The Bus was more of a miracle then the tackle.

Valuist
07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Bettis' fumble set up the fumble by the Colts, from where Roethlesberger made the tackle. Play of the year in the NFL.

dav4463
07-20-2006, 04:17 AM
San Antonio Spurs won their third championship in 05. They were a Fisher lucky shot away from winning in 04, and a couple of bad breaks and late foul away from winning this year. The Spurs have the best winning percentage of any team in any sport since Tim Duncan joined the team. The Spurs get my vote.