PDA

View Full Version : Game for the happy...or the miserable?

Cesario!
07-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi everybody.

Just wondering whether people think that horseplayers are generally happy or miserable.

From my own observation, I've noticed many more people who don't seem to be very happy playing the horses -- and also suspect that this unhappiness carries over into their lives outside of racing. I've always believed has more to do with the type of person drawn into the activity (the escape, the dreaming), then the effect of playing the horses itself. In contrast, I believe that playing the horses can have an opposite and much more positive effect on the unhappy person.

I also wonder about a strong correlation between being happy in your life and being successful at playing the horses. Here, I'd define success as meeting your goals -- whether they are to win beer money, have fun from the activity and not care about the bottom line, or win 6 figures a year.

I'm curious what other people think.

mainardi
07-17-2006, 01:50 AM
but, WINNERS are HAPPY :jump: & LOSERS are MISERABLE :mad: .

I'm sure there's much more complexity, but on the whole I'm much nicer to be around when I'm winning. If someone is miserable in their life, they'll still be less miserable (happy?) when they win... and even the happiest person you know will be less happy (miserable?) when they lose.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about REAL winning and losing -- not when someone puts $2 up, instead of their regular $20 -- when their regular bets are at stake.

charlieparks53
07-17-2006, 04:18 AM

I'm sure there's much more complexity, but on the whole I'm much nicer to be around when I'm winning. If someone is miserable in their life, they'll still be less miserable (happy?) when they win... and even the happiest person you know will be less happy (miserable?) when they lose.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about REAL winning and losing -- not when someone puts $2 up, instead of their regular $20 -- when their regular bets are at stake.

Having money or winning does not mean one is happy. Happyness is a state of mind. Having spiritual peace is much more important than being a winner or loser at the race track. :)

acorn54
07-17-2006, 04:45 AM
i avoid going to the local otb
i remember a someone telling me that half of the people that go to otb have a gambling problem. i don't know how true this is but it might play a part in ones demeanor if one is playing the horses with this problem
acorn

betchatoo
07-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi everybody.

Just wondering whether people think that horseplayers are generally happy or miserable.

From my own observation, I've noticed many more people who don't seem to be very happy playing the horses -- and also suspect that this unhappiness carries over into their lives outside of racing. I've always believed has more to do with the type of person drawn into the activity (the escape, the dreaming), then the effect of playing the horses itself. In contrast, I believe that playing the horses can have an opposite and much more positive effect on the unhappy person.

I also wonder about a strong correlation between being happy in your life and being successful at playing the horses. Here, I'd define success as meeting your goals -- whether they are to win beer money, have fun from the activity and not care about the bottom line, or win 6 figures a year.

My buddy and I were talking about this Saturday when we were at the OTB by Arlington. So many people seemed to be having a miserable time. We manage to find something to laugh about even when things are going wrong. Don't get me wrong, I take my horse playing seriously (though I do most of my real serious investing at home). But life needs to be fun.

I think most of the unhappy people there bring their unhappiness with them. The people who are constantly harping on how the jockeys, trainers, stewards or some unknown conspirators caused them to lose undoubtedly blame others for their problems in every phase of life. Those who bemoan the fates for their troubles are usually expecting a lucky break instead of working for it. And those who gamble money they can't afford are just too stupid (or sick) to talk about.

KingChas
07-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi everybody.

Funny Question when Fishorchess asked this he got royally red-balled outta here. :eek:

Tom
07-17-2006, 09:51 AM

And they are especially happy when they hang out with losers! :rolleyes:

Hey, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy things that make me happy!

Cesario!
07-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Funny Question when Fishorchess asked this he got royally red-balled outta here. :eek:

Is this the thread? Don't know if it is, but it was still interesting nonetheless. Before my time here...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19261&page=1&pp=15

KingChas
07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Is this the thread? Don't know if it is, but it was still interesting nonetheless. Before my time here...

?t=19261&page=1&pp=15[/url]

Being fair Cesario it was one of his many.Didn't bother me to much enjoy differing opinions.That's how you learn.
It led to the PA "popularity contest" voting that was more biased than Fisher's questions. :D

ryesteve
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
i avoid going to the local otb
i remember a someone telling me that half of the people that go to otb have a gambling problem. i don't know how true this is but it might play a part in ones demeanor if one is playing the horses with this problem
acorn
Once in a while I'll pop into a nearby OTB to catch a race during lunch. And yes, I've yet to see any joy at all in that place.

KingChas
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
I had become nothing but an organization man – an unthinking disciple of a dominant ideology. Stripped down of my early individuality, I had become a generic horseplayer.

Cesario what an excellent article.I was just pondering this the other day.Remembering back to my early days of consitantly hitting double fig payouts.Of course this was pre-Bsf's and all the new info available in form and other places.I do believe as you the too many readings have created a brainwash type affect.
Perhaps I should defragment myself. ;)

Ps;As not be accussed of going off thread.I'm only happy when I'm playing horses. :D

Cesario!
07-17-2006, 12:23 PM
I had become nothing but an organization man – an unthinking disciple of a dominant ideology. Stripped down of my early individuality, I had become a generic horseplayer.

Cesario what an excellent article.I was just pondering this the other day.Remembering back to my early days of consitantly hitting double fig payouts.Of course this was pre-Bsf's and all the new info available in form and other places.I do believe as you the too many readings have created a brainwash type affect.
Perhaps I should defragment myself. ;)

Ps;As not be accussed of going off thread.I'm only happy when I'm playing horses. :D

Thanks for the compliment. And, I certaintly don't mind going anyone going off thread for that. ;)

KingChas
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
More info,more intelligence.Computer (AI) programs doing all the work,high rolling betting devices.
Lot tuffer for a one/two track player.(pen and pencil).I have been to the track lately where the highest payoff all day was $9.20 in ten races.Thus the exotics have to be put into play.
I remember starting a day at Monmouth with $20 win bets hitting all 14.80/18.80/21.40 (approx).Those were the days. :)

NoDayJob
07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
And they are especially happy when they hang out with losers! :rolleyes:

Hey, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy things that make me happy!

;) I think happiness can't buy money is more to the point...

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Cesario,

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/...61&page=1&pp=15

Boy, what a great thread that was.

And what a difference a year makes! The world is sure different at my house since I began winning real money.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2006, 04:53 PM

Huh? I read over that old thread in question, and don't notice anyone being "red-balled" or whatever....

NYPlayer
07-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Emotions are fleeting, self deceiving, and utterly damnable, and in this game they'll ruin you. Everyone feels great when winning and miserable when losing. Those who let their emotions get the better of them have no chance to succeed in the long run. The only attitude that can provide self satisfaction in this game is commitment. Win or lose, you know you'll be back!