PDA

View Full Version : American Racing Manual

Tom
07-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Anyone buy this? Worth $40?
I am thinking of ordering - I read about the Beyer history for graded stakes
in DRF Saturday, sounds like that alone might worth it, but how about the rest - anyone find useful stuf in there?

Thanks

mainardi
07-15-2006, 02:19 AM
I use it for many different aspects of my handicapping.

I've been a regular buyer for many years. When I get bored with the mundane stuff that I need for handicapping, I wander through the "non-essential" pages to read about little known (or probably cared out) facts.

See what I mean... one of my favorites is to look up the jockeys that only had one winner. This year I found: only one that went 1-for-1 (for $2547 in earnings, nice work if you can get it) and the most rides was 1-for-132 (by Fernando Valenzuela... with that record, maybe it was THAT Fernando V.).

See, there's all kinds of useless stuff to go along with the real useful stats.

takeout
07-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I wish they hadn’t changed the way they do the owners. A lot less info now. In ‘money won’ they used to list them down to about 30 or 50K for the year. Used to be about 18 pages of owners in that section. Now it’s just the top guys listed (ends up only going down to about 270K now) and is only about 5 pages.

46zilzal
07-15-2006, 05:06 PM
have them back to Dr. Fager's day. Really fun to read and check older races. One of the things I really appreciate is seeing tremendous performances in light of my more mature appreciation of pace. Some of those races were simply amazing.

Hank
07-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I purchased one years ago, never bought another.:ThmbDown:

banacek
07-16-2006, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]Anyone buy this? Worth $40?
/QUOTE]

It's only $26.40 at amazon.com (with free shipping)

Tom
07-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you - big difference!

takeout
07-16-2006, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]Anyone buy this? Worth $40?
/QUOTE]

It's only $26.40 at amazon.com (with free shipping)

What’s the story with that? DRF seems to be an awfully expensive middleman for their own products. Are they just TRYING to screw over their most loyal customers who wouldn't think of going anywhere else first? :confused: :confused:

garyoz
07-16-2006, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=banacek]

What’s the story with that? DRF seems to be an awfully expensive middleman for their own products. Are they just TRYING to screw over their most loyal customers who wouldn't think of going anywhere else first? :confused: :confused:

Of course, we are all dopes. I paid the full price when ordering from DRF. I guess that it is a form of market segmentation.

DrugSalvastore
07-16-2006, 09:46 PM
The ARM is an excellent book.

I have every one from this decade so far...and a lot of older ones

I'm pretty obsessed with them.

The older one's from the early 80's and before that are pretty wild. They actually have the social security numbers for all the jockies in them. In that instance, probably a little too much information....unless of course you are an identity theft crook who wants Jerry Bailey's SS#.

NoDayJob
07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=banacek]

What was your first clue???????????????

takeout
07-17-2006, 03:37 PM
You really do have to wonder who’s running that place sometimes. Blows my mind. Why not link directly to Amazon? Why irritate regular and potential customers by charging almost twice as much to those that come directly to the DRF site?

Tom
07-17-2006, 04:09 PM
It is as if they WANT to piss off customers.

takeout
07-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Exactly! I don’t get it. Why do they do that? :confused:

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2006, 05:11 PM
As with many products in life, you're better off NOT buying direct from the manufacturer. Am I right people?

Happens all the time...