PDA

View Full Version : Racecom

aaron
08-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Does anyone use or have any information on Racecom software?
Thanks

JimG
08-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Aaron,

You may want to do a search on the board. There was a thread on Racecom recently, as I recall.

Jim

Jaguar
08-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Aaron,

quick rundown on RaceCom; since I was a RaceCom customer from their beginnings 15 years ago and bought all their upgrades until the appearance of Analyst 5.0- their first effective Thoroughbred program- a few years ago.

RaceCom is owned and operated by two brothers, Joseph and David Shepard, who are talented computer scientists and who were pioneers in developing neural network programs for analyzing the financial markets- an area which is still an important part of their business.

They became so successful so quickly that a book was written about them. At the same time, they were producing Sartin style speed and pace based programs.

Analyst 2.0 was the launching pad for RaceCom's very complex neural network Thoroughbred programs, which followed 2.0 and which were notably expensive- and ineffective- as handicapping tools. These programs were introduced in the late 1980's and were upgraded every 24-36 months, all to no good consequence, because they didn't work.

The one program I bought from RaceCom which did work, was Analyst 2.0 for Harness racing, and it is still excellent, but no longer as up-to-date as the better contemporary Harness programs.

After paying $900. for my last purchase from RaceCom, I blew my stack when the much ballyhooed disc was an utter disaster. I made an angry phone call and burned my bridges with RaceCom.

Within a year, I received a letter from the company stating that they acknowledged that their magnum opus did not work, but that RaceCom was going to make a sincere commitment to producing a truly cutting-edge Thoroughbred program.

No one was more surprised than I was when about 3 or so years ago RaceCom introduced the most accurate and powerful horse handicapping disc to hit the market, Analyst 5.0.

RaceCom rocked the handicapping world by achieving stats such as 66% wins for their trifecta picks.

5.0 has been upgraded to 5r, and a further improvement- to 7.0-has already been made. Also, I am reliably informed that version 9.0 has entered the planning stage.

Please note that RaceCom staff are brilliant, they are arrogant and difficult to deal with, but my hat is off to them, because they have revolutionised handicapping and I have to admire their brains and tenacity.

Do they owe me money? Damn right. But all bitterness aside, RaceCom is not only the most expensive outfit, it is absolutely the best.

Give Joe Shepard a ring, he'll talk with you.

If a guy can't come up with $1,300 for RaceCom, he should look at Thorobrain5, which is being shipped with some models included. I own Thorobrain and I can tell you that Dave Schwartz- the developer- is one smart handicapper and one smart computer programmer.

All the best,

Jaguar

aaron
08-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Thanks Jaguar,I appreciate your input.You seem to be up to date on the computer market.I've tried a few programs and have used Running Style Position.
I used Winners Circle software which was okay,but didn't really fit my style at the time.There seems to be a lot of usable programs out there,but picking the best to suit one's personality and temprament is another thing.

aaron
08-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Jaguar,For your information-Race Com has a free download of their A-7 software and 25 free cards with a bris download that costs $1.00 per card.It seems to be a fair trial offer.

Tom
08-30-2002, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaguar
[B]Aaron,

5.0 has been upgraded to 5r, and a further improvement- to 7.0-has already been made. Also, I am reliably informed that version 9.0 has entered the planning stage.

Okay, if they are so smart, how come they can't count - V5,7,9...
what happened to 6 and 8 <G> (Kidding)

aaron
09-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Jaguar, I tried to contact Race Com,but was rebuffed in getting answers from them.They were very rude and didn't want to spend any time talking about their various products.I guess their arrogance remains intact.-

Jaguar
09-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Aaron, welcome to the club. Now you have- as have many others- sampled the bitter wine.

Isn't it amazing that RaceCom runs their business that way? I doubt that there is another commercial operation in America which burns out their former customers- and discourages potential new buyers. Amazing.

All the best,

Jaguar

JimG
09-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Jaguar
I doubt that there is another commercial operation in America which burns out their former customers- and discourages potential new buyers. Amazing.

All the best,

Jaguar

Actually, racetrack managers all over America tend to treat their old and new customers this way. Sometimes I think that they think, the worst we treat 'em, the more they will come back.

Jim

aaron
09-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your answer,Jaguar-I have never met anyone who acts the way they do.Their actions almost make you believe their operation is a scam.They said I was wasting their time because I wanted to know the difference between some of their racing products.They should be reported to the" Better Business Bureau.
From their attitude I believe there is some sort of problem with some of their products.I have never seen a review of any of their products.It almost seems like a boiler room operation.No street address,no business contacts and the people there do not give their last names.

Secretariat
09-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Aaron, I did report them to the Better Business Bureau who told me there are a lot of complaints about the company.

I had purchased a lifetime software certificate from them. What a joke. Basically, a rip off. All they want to do now is get you to "Subscribe" to download their files.

THe customer service is the worst in the business..and that's saying something. Their software "looks" good (when and if it works), but the results are so-so.

There are so many decent products out there, this is one it is better to just chalk up as lost money and move on. I would never advise anyone to make a purchase from this company.

aaron
09-07-2002, 06:49 AM
Secretariat, Thanks for the info regarding Racecom.
At this point I'm sure my dealings with them are complete.
Fortunately,for me I only downloaded their free downloads and used the "Bris" $1.00 files so I really didn't have any expense to
speak of.I did order a back issue of "Futures Magazine"which has an article on them.If your interested I'll report back when I receive the article.Once again,thanks for your input.
By the way,are you currently using any software programs?

Derek2U
09-07-2002, 11:14 AM
IMHO my father is a great handicapper, the best I know of,
although- obviously- there are many other great ones on this
planet. (My father teaches college math, his 1 & only job).
And he knows Ainslie/Quirin & those kind of guys. At any rate,
he tells me RaceCom is total BS because its leader, joe shephard,
is TOTAL BS plus more scandalous stuff. So why would anyone
EVER EVER even help such a prick? The best way to learn
handicapping is for a novice to concentrate on 1 circuit & get to
know HORSES. Incredulous as it may seem, a lot of guys know
zero about the physical nature of a horse. Knowing the way
a horse moves, gallops etc etc & how its knees/ankles etc
function can greatly change the way you see horse race data!
And WATCH/SEE races & HOW dynamic they are! Don't rush
into buying a program ... you'll have plenty of time for that &
no end to the # of proggys available. Concentrate on 1 factor
at a time (speed or pace or purse values-class); maybe your
first program should be one that tackles just ONE factor ... maybe
analyses PACE or CLASS & allow time for opinions to take shape.
There's more stuff I could tell but you get the thrust: YOU MUST
learn the ART of horses or else the SCIENCE will never make
sense. You will run the risk of becoming like those market
efficiency dudes who couldn't make any money doing anything
unless it was SELLING BS to a never ending parade of innocents.

Rick
09-07-2002, 01:10 PM
Derek,

Is Quirin interested in horse racing again? The last I heard he was more interested in playing golf. Ainsle (not his real name) must be about 80 by now.

baravot
09-10-2002, 09:15 PM
For all you Racecom fans, here's the content of an email I just received from them:

A frank discussion: RaceCom has depleted its financial reserves while concentrating on development of handicapping and forecasting software. If the company cannot raise $100,000 immediately, we will be forced to concentrate on outside jobs rather than continue our work. We have limited our sales efforts and worked exclusively on software development. While we have very lucrative and marketable skills, we have chosen to stay the course. We no longer have that option.

We can no longer ignore reality. While NSpace and LiveMotion represent the cutting edge and will bring our customers the accuracy they want, we cannot bring these products to market without raising the needed money. Essentially, what you have now is all you will receive. We will release the NSpace Palms and will have the Orlando Conference.

Before we shut down our work, we're offering our customers a chance to help us continue. We've set up a way to contribute to our goal of $100,000. Go to http://racecom.com/specialsales/specialsales.asp. Contribute what you can. We'll keep a visible running total so you can see how close we are to our goal. Those who contribute will see future software. That's just the reality of the situation.

RaceCom.Com

JimG
09-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Baravot,

I got the same e-mail. Since "those that contribute will see future software" ...I got a quarter rattling in my pocket somewhere. Now what was that phone number<g>

Jim

GameTheory
09-11-2002, 04:14 AM
These guys are totally unbelievable. How is it that they aren't in jail?

Can't their software, the most advanced and accurate forecasting software in the world, MAKE SOME MONEY FOR THEM?

BillW
09-11-2002, 04:20 AM
The problem is, yesterday they handicapped the first at DEL and the program picked IBM ....
oops!

Bill

GameTheory
09-11-2002, 08:48 AM
I love the part about "contributing" -- isn't that normally known as "investing"? What that email is asking for has got to be illegal, right?

hurrikane
09-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Hey, I'm taking contributions so I can quit my job. Send em on in...and those that contribute will get postcards from exotic places! :D

Lefty
09-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Maybe they can hold a Telethon? "Poor Horseplayers Trying to Improve Their Lot" Maybe Willie Nelson, Bonnie Rait and a few others can sing.
I can see it now... Wow.

anotherdave
09-11-2002, 12:50 PM
For all you anotherdave fans, here's the content of an email I just received from him:

A frank discussion: Anotherdave Inc. has depleted his financial reserves while concentrating on handicapping and forecasting $5000 claimers. If
he cannot raise $100,000 immediately, he will be forced to concentrate on his day job rather than continue handicapping. He has limited his efforts and worked exclusively on betting horses, drinking alcohol, and watching reruns of the Flintstones. While he has very lucrative and marketable skills, he has chosen to stay the course. He no longer has that option.

He can no longer ignore reality. While pace and speed handicapping represent the cutting edge and will bring him the accuracy he wants, he cannot actually test the concepts without raising the needed money. Essentially, what he has now is 45 cents (unfortunately Canadian) and a 3 cans of beer (fortunately Canadian).

Before he shuts down his handicapping business, he's offering the Pace Advantage family a unique opportunity to help him continue. He's set up a way to contribute to his goal of $100,000. Go to the nearest racetrack and look for a tall guy with glasses picking up old tickets off the floor. Contribute what you can. He'll keep a visible running total so you can see how close he is to his goal. Those who contribute will be asked for more money in the future. That's just the reality of the situation.

AD

(Actually after a poor start to the year, the last month has been amazingly good, so you may prefer to donate any extra funds you had earmarked for me to your favourite charity)

Triple Trio
09-11-2002, 03:06 PM
The idea of asking others for contributions to help you play the horses may not seem so outrageous after you've read the following article:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,54929,00.html

Dave Schwartz
09-11-2002, 03:43 PM
I just received this email...
++++++++++++++

Since September 11, 2001, Americans have come together as never before in our generation. We have banded together to overcome tremendous adversity. We have weathered direct attacks on our own soil, wars overseas, corporate scandal, layoffs, unemployment, stock price plunges, droughts, fires, and myriad economic and physical disasters both great and small.

And now, we must come together once again to overcome our greatest challenge yet. Hundreds of Major League Baseball players in our very own nation are living at, or just below the seven-figure salary level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the upcoming strike situation. But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (far less than the cost of a large screen projection TV) you can help a MLB player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a baseball player it could mean the difference between spending the strike golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, two unemployment checks, or a month of medical insurance with COBRA; but to a baseball player, $700 will partially replace his daily salary. Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?
Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the strike on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for a signed photo, please include an additional $1,500). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?
Your MLB player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!
I would like to sponsor a striking MLB player. My preference is checked below:
[ ] Infielder [ ] Outfielder [ ] Starting Pitcher[ ] Ace Pitcher [ ] Entire team
Please call our 900 number to ask for the cost of a specific team - $10 per minute
[ ] Alex Rodriguez (Higher cost: $60,000 per day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the player for the duration of the strike. Please send me a picture of the player I have sponsored, along with an Alex Rodriguez 2001 Income Statement and my very own Donald Fehr MLB Players Union pin to wear proudly on my hat. (Include $800
for hat).

Your Name: _______________________
Telephone Number: ____________________
Account Number: _____________________ Exp.Date:_______
[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Discover
Signature: _______________________

Alternate card (when the primary card exceeds its credit limit):
Account Number: _____________________Exp.Date:_______
[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Discover
Signature: _______________________

Mail completed form to MLB Players Union now.
To enroll by phone call 900-555-BALL ($10 per minute).
Disclaimer: Sponsors are not permitted to contact the player they have sponsored, either in person or by other means including, but not limited to, telephone calls, letters, e-mail, or third parties. Contributions are not tax-deductible.

Aussieplayer
09-11-2002, 08:11 PM
LOL at all you guys!!!!

You've made my day :D

AP