PDA

View Full Version : DRF Layout

bigmack
07-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I remeber the first time I looked at a form. I couldn't believe that people could make sense of all that data -
and that was for just one horse.

Ernie Hemingway once said: The Daily Racing Form, with all those numerical details about individual races, is the greatest form of literature -- for its concision

Question: Does the layout still hold-up?
&
If you could change anything about the layout - what would it be?

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Off the top of my head I would say, have equiptment/med changes in big bold letter near the top.
Also, I am perplexed as to why I see some horse finished a race but get no speed figure and/or rating.

ELA
07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Off the top of my head I would say, have equiptment/med changes in big bold letter near the top.
Also, I am perplexed as to why I see some horse finished a race but get no speed figure and/or rating.

That's a good idea.

Eric

bigmack
07-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I see some horse finished a race but get no speed figure and/or rating.
Fair point.
How accurate are those B numbers in relation to TPR's, "Sheets", and the plethora of other speed/pace figs that come standard with a subscription to the various other data suppliers?

the little guy
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Horses that don't get Beyer figures ran numbers below zero. While a real nitpicker could argue they should get a negative number I fail to see how this would alter a handicapper's opinion of the race the horse ran.

I also find it amazing that someone would even bring this up as a criticism of the past performances.

What's even more amazing is that I am amazed by anything Ken Wood says.

DrugS....help me out here.

the little guy
07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Fair point.
How accurate are those B numbers in relation to TPR's, "Sheets", and the plethora of other speed/pace figs that come standard with a subscription to the various other data suppliers?

Some would say more accurate and some would say less. Some would say incorperating weight and ground loss perverts the Ragozin and Thorograph numbers in ways the Beyers don't. Some would argue just the opposite.

Some people would say it is up to the handicapper to decide for himself the relative validity of speed figures.

ELA
07-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Personally, a zero or a negative # wouldn't make a difference to me. Unless I really know what's going on regarding that specific performance, it's pointless to me.

The weight factor is an interesting one. I'm one who handicaps the individual horses. I want to see what they look like, condition, yes -- weight, how they are behaving, demeanor, etc. I don't know if I would put much credence into the actual # as much as I would appearence in general. Some horses are good do'ers and others aren't, some are hard to keep weight on and others aren't.

Some will use it and others won't.

Eric

kenwoodallpromos
07-09-2006, 04:51 AM
I have only been in racing 10 years, and the zero's was 1 thing I did not yet learn about. I have no criticism of that, I think it is fine the way it is.

cj
07-09-2006, 01:49 PM
At some of the smaller tracks, it would be nice to know if a <0 was a -1 or a -30. I've seen many races where the top last out Beyer was in the single digits. I find figure handicapping at the lower levels as potent, and probably more so, than at the higher levels.

That said, with the new Formulator, it is easy enough to figure out if you do a little research and have a Beyer beaten lengths chart handy. They are in a few of his books, and can be found on the web as well.

GameTheory
07-09-2006, 02:14 PM
If horses are getting negative numbers, that tells me the Beyer scale is too low. A zero in races where the typical horse is in the 80's is not so important, but like CJ says, if the typical horse is in single digits, then you want to know that number.

bigmack
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I find figure handicapping at the lower levels as potent, and probably more so, than at the higher levels.
I've found that the lower levels can flux as their numbers from race to race can vary wildly in some cases. I've cashed some nice tickets at those affairs but it's more of "take a rip at it" than a reliance of the competitors running to a number that I think they're about to based on their previous outings.

KingChas
07-09-2006, 02:52 PM
That said, with the new Formulator, it is easy enough to figure out if you do a little research and have a Beyer beaten lengths chart handy. They are in a few of his books, and can be found on the web as well.

Me getting lazy. :D
Would love to see winning Beyer next to horses BSF.

Ex Slow Poke 38(his bsf)-62(winners bsf)

Slow Poke 38/62
;)

ELA
07-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Now there is one I've really looked for -- the winning Beyer. Why not put the # next too the first three finishers. Does anyone have a reference or link to a Beyer beaten lengths chart? Thank you.

Eric

KingChas
07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
If horses are getting negative numbers, that tells me the Beyer scale is too low. .

Bada Bing....... :ThmbUp: shhhh!

Overlay
07-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Now there is one I've really looked for -- the winning Beyer. Why not put the # next too the first three finishers. Does anyone have a reference or link to a Beyer beaten lengths chart? Thank you.

Eric

Try this:

http://www.angelfire.com/la2/LouisianaRacing/BeatenLengthsAdj.html

rastajenk
07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I've seen many races where the top last out Beyer was in the single digits.

Really? Many races??? I haven't.

ceejay
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Really? Many races??? I haven't.

Ever see BRD?

ELA
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Try this:

http://www.angelfire.com/la2/LouisianaRacing/BeatenLengthsAdj.html

Thank you!

Eric

cj
07-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Sure, lots of them. Off the top of my head, many Indiana bred maiden races, 3yo filly maidens at Lrl and many other places. Many was vague, but enough that I notice them on a regular basis.

kitts
07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I would like to see Vets stats-might help spotting a "trend."