PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Back? Cutting back from what?

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2006, 04:03 AM
This is a bit of a strange story:

NTRA, Breeders' Cup announce cutbacks (http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=64896&subsec=1)
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association and Breeders' Cup Ltd., which have operated jointly since 2000, on Friday announced significant cutbacks to operations. Thoroughbred Times (http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=64896&subsec=1)

Now, what is it exactly that they are cutting back from?

All those wonderful technological tote improvements the NTRA spearheaded that now allow us, the bettors, to not only have odds data updated more than once a minute, but actually display the final odds as soon as the gates open?

Or could it be all the money the NTRA pointed towards research and development when it comes to detecting the presence of illegal race day medications, and/or the nationwide investigations the NTRA performed that finally put an end to many a "supertrainer's" shenanigans?

Maybe it was all that $$$ the NTRA paid to hire lobbyists to travel around to the various state legislatures and racing jurisdictions in order to try and lower the insane takeout structures that all too quickly sap the bankrolls of all but the best of handicappers, sending them scurrying to other, less usurious forms of gaming.

Oh wait, I know. Perhaps they are cutting back all those man hours and dollars spent trying to find out why (and IF) horses are breaking down at a higher rate compared to days of yore. And if they are, what are the main reasons?
Yup, only in a cruel joke of an alternate universe would the NTRA be cutting back operations after having NOT significantly addressed any of the major problems listed above.

Welcome to bizarro world folks.

Bruddah
07-08-2006, 04:22 AM
:jump: :lol: :bang: :bang: :D

Thaaaaatss Alllll Follllkks!! About says it all for the rest of us.

kev
07-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Maybe it's time for Churchill to start shopping in New York.

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I saw the article as a glass half full, and that glass being handed off to the experts.
I have not been around racing as long as others, but if the NTRA is getting more outside $$ into the sport that is good. And trying to figure out simulcasting (someone is reaching to Europe).
As far as I know, the HBPA takes the lead anyway on drugs. Maybe the NTRA now will have time to figure out how to do what the other horse breed organizations are great at- getting ALL runners timed!LOL!!

JustRalph
07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
it sounds to me like the usual doublespeak to outsource jobs, after the incumbents have been in place long enough to actually start making some money...........so you cut jobs and outsource to lower your operating costs.

Tom
07-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Trivia question: what do they DO?

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Trivia question: what do they DO?

"In a sense, the NTRA is both league office for a big sport and trade association for a big industry, including related businesses like breeding."

JustRalph
07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
"In a sense, the NTRA is both league office for a big sport and trade association for a big industry, including related businesses like breeding."

when you say it like that, it sounds like a bad idea..............

DJofSD
07-08-2006, 10:49 PM
If the NTRA was a publicly traded company, they'd be another VG -- woof, woof!!! (That's Vonage the dog).