link
http://www.raceprophet.com/index.html

Tom
07-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Any idea why?

michiken
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Just a reminder....

I downloaded and installed this system a while back. It completely hosed my windows and I had to do a complete re-install.

Badddddddddd Software.

Blackgold
07-08-2006, 08:20 AM
I downloaded it last nite and have been using it for today's (Sat.) cards.

I like the features and I'm using it to make some calls as the different screens provide easy to read graphics to sort things out.

Now when I had a Dell computer, it crashed everytime I downloaded anything. In fact, sometimes it would crash just because it was on. Same thing with my daughter's Dell.

My computer guy, who finally made a reserved parking spot at his place for me, said don't get any more Dell's because they use cheap parts. So, a year ago I got a Toshiba and it's been smooth sailing since.

And why is this cool piece of software free? To get you to buy BRIS files. I already buy them and negate their expense by sending in some action to BRISBET.

Good luck this weekend all.

LFeldman
07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
I too installed Race Prophet last night. Installed and ran fine - seems like a nice program. I did notice one "odd" thing. Every time I start the program, my firewall is activated. The firewall states a TCPconnection is being attempted.

Application: Race Prophet by Colt Cannon
Full path: C:\Program Files\Race Prophet\RaceProphet.exe
Local address: localhost : 1494
Remote address: 216.23.209.32 : 80
Connection: TCP connection
Direction: Out

The remote address is I beleive, registered to Race Prophet i.e.

Server Used: [ whois.arin.net ]

216.23.209.32 = [ raceprophet.com ]

Let me quickly add, that the software seemed to function fine, if I denied communication. A guess would be that this is a "leftover" from the previous pay version, but it is odd. Perhaps there is an "on-line" feature I'm not aware of? (I was using a week old data file).

The whole "free" thing is odd to me - especially with no explanation. I would think the situation would be such, that an explation should have been given on the site. When the program redirects to BRIS, there does not seem to be a way to tell who is directing you to Bris, so I'm not sure what the angle would be there.

I imagine there is some logical, and innocent explanation to it all.

Larry

csperberg
07-08-2006, 03:04 PM
From their help contents

Registration

You may use Race Prophet to process up to 25 race data files free of charge. To process additional race data files you must purchase Race Prophet for $49.95. Texas residents are charged the applicable Sales Tax. All yellow contact information fields are required in order to register. All information is solely for use by Cannon Software, LLC and will not be sold or traded.

All contact and purchasing information is stored locally in an encrypted data file named RaceProphet.inf.

So its free to try, then $49.95 to buy.

Colt Cannon
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
There may be some leftover programming that will be resolved later but believe me the software is free of charge completely...no future charges either. We are trying to determine how many software users there are for one thing and how many will use Race Prophet. We do have an "angle".... but we may or may not use it and if we do it will be sometime in the "distant" future. There is no registration and we are keeping no info files on users. (Don't look a gift horse in the mouth)

Colt Cannon
07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Over the years we have sold hundreds of copies of Race Prophet. Not once...not once did anyone ever contact us with a complaint that it "shut down" their computer. (The only complaints we deal with are why we don't answer emails faster......well ..... we have lots of things going on.)

LFeldman
07-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Colt,

Gift horse indeed. "Free", actually being the case, let me say:

1) Thank you very much!
2) I do hope whatever you have planned, works out for you.

Regards,

Larry

punteray
07-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Just tried to download the software but I get "paige not available"

??????????????????????

Ray

punteray
07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Disregard my last confusion!!!! System must have been in 'overload' mode. Working OK now

Ray

John
07-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Colt, Thanks for coming on.

I am sure all will enjoy Raceprophet as much as I do.That is why I posted it.

Best of luck to you.

John

jk3521
07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I had a previous version of Race Prophet ( ver. 2.5) and automatically on Friday the new version downloaded when I opened the program. Colt, what are the differences between the two versions?

the_fat_man
07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Colt, Thanks for coming on.

I am sure all will enjoy Raceprophet as much as I do.That is why I posted it.

Best of luck to you.

John

Wow,

Let me ask you a question:

can anyone get ENJOYMENT in his life by merely downloading and using the PROPHET --for PROFIT --or otherwise:D?

Screw the PROFIT, I just need ENJoYMENT in my LIFE

S
H
I
L
L

Thanks for sharing

shanta
07-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow,

Let me ask you a question:

can anyone get ENJOYMENT in his life by merely downloading and using the PROPHET --for PROFIT --or otherwise:D?

Screw the PROFIT, I just need ENJoYMENT in my LIFE

S
H
I
L
L

Thanks for sharing

Way off base dude. John sure as hell aint no shill. Way off base.

Richie

Blackgold
07-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Colt. . . I'll send you $49 bucks. . . where do I send it.

John
07-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks Shanta

You see....that is the society that we live in to day.People are so paranoid because every time they turn around they are being screwed. So when someone legit offers them something they become a little superstitious and feel there is an angle to this.

Why can't you just enjoy it and if there is something to it. I am sure you will hear about.some day.

John

PaceAdvantage
07-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Way off base dude. John sure as hell aint no shill. Way off base.

Richie

I agree, of course. After hanging with John at Saratoga the past few years, I can attest to the fact that he's one of the good guys.

Tom
07-09-2006, 12:46 AM
I agree - WAY off base.
John is a trusted, repescted member here - he is "one of us."

Zaf
07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
John is a great guy and has always been generous sharing GOOD information with his fellow horse players. That being said, On John's reccomendation I downloaded Race Prophet. Its a nice looking program and the interface is very easy to use. I ran 4 - 5 recent cards through it and it seemed to do a very decent job of coming up with contenders. In addition it was very nice of Mr. Cannon to offer his work for free :ThmbUp:

Z

kingfin66
07-09-2006, 01:20 AM
How on this green earth can somebody be accused of being a shill for something that is FREE!? A totally unfair accusation. Hell, even the software developer came on and said the software is free with no strings attached.

Hammerhead
07-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I downloaded the program and it worked perfectly. I'll give it a try see what happens.
Thanks Colt :ThmbUp:

wes
07-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Colt

A nice program.

wes

Suff
07-09-2006, 09:51 AM
S
H
I
L
L

:mad:

Colt Cannon
07-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Stargazer to show.

Zaf
07-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Stargazer to show.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Z

Pcon04
07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
If it free it's me!!! why not

Pcono4

Hosshead
07-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Anybody have a years worth (2005-2006) of old Procaps that I could use to try this out on ?
---- Thx. - Hoss

andicap
07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
To me, the problem with software programs like raceprophet, no matter how well developed and elegant they are is this: They rely on BRIS figures which are not as accurate as others available on the market for similar monthly prices. (Colt's Neck, HDW -- Jim Cramer's, HSH, etc. -- I apologize if I've missed someone. I exclude CJ's because his are not on the market.)

Not to say you can't win with them or they don't have value or that BRIS figs are bad, but personally I would rather use figures I feel more confident in.

Of course free is a nice price, the program looks like a solidly designed one and if they take the TSN files you only have to pay $60 a month for data, a good price if you are a recreational handicapper.

One exception is Randy Giles' pace velocity because he uses the BRIS figures in a different fashion, measuring intensity of pace compared with final time. You can use his method to adjust any final figures.

Colt Cannon
07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Race Prophet does not "rely" on Bris figures....out of 31 charts we did include 7 charts dealing with Bris figures because thousands of people already use them. Race Prophet does not "rely" on anything except the preferences of the user. It is primarily a Feet Per Second software---written without bias towards anyone's particular idealogy......(though some will conclude otherwise, just because some "author" may have written about things that many other handicappers had known for years.) Race Prophet was written to be a tool as individual as its user. Period.

jeebus1083
07-10-2006, 08:35 PM
So Race Prophet is more Sartin-methodology based then.

andicap
07-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Race Prophet does not "rely" on Bris figures....out of 31 charts we did include 7 charts dealing with Bris figures because thousands of people already use them. Race Prophet does not "rely" on anything except the preferences of the user. It is primarily a Feet Per Second software---written without bias towards anyone's particular idealogy......(though some will conclude otherwise, just because some "author" may have written about things that many other handicappers had known for years.) Race Prophet was written to be a tool as individual as its user. Period.

Colt,
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the feet-per-second calcuations are all based on BRIS variants, adjustments, etc.

Like I said, that's why it's not for me. Others will disagree. And I think the interface is great. Clean, easy to navigate. user-friendly. Lots to recommend.

If I'm wrong I apologize and it becomes that much more interesting a product.

KingChas
07-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Just a reminder....

I downloaded and installed this system a while back. It completely hosed my windows and I had to do a complete re-install.

I appreciated the free program.Thank You

I can see Mich's point ,I do not run the screen resolution for this program on my computer.Switching back and forth on resolutions can rip up a system,not just Dells.When I try to drag the program in my current resolution I still cannot get the full page.As I said no disrespect for the program.Just a little tough on the old PC. ;)

Jake
07-10-2006, 11:25 PM

Colt,

Sorry, but I find this confusing. If you import a Bris data file, isn't all the FPS calculations based on the Bris import? Not Bris figures, but Bris times.

FORGO
07-12-2006, 02:21 AM
If GOD wrote the program some of these guys would still be knocking it. All who labor with an idea and produce positive results deserve recognition. You Sir have contributed to our complex sport. For those who doubt check out the Blue Grass G-1 9th Race at Keenland 04-15-06. The Program picked the race as follows 4-3-7-5-6-2 Winner #7 $19.40 Place#3 Exacta $601.40 Show #4 Trifecta $4,412.40 Forth #2 Superfecta $ 11,857.20. Know for those who own the program turn and walk quietly to the cashier window with a smile and be thankful Colt did'nt stop working. Thank You Colt for a great program and a great tool for those who know how to use it. FORGO

GameTheory
07-12-2006, 02:54 AM
If GOD wrote the program some of these guys would still be knocking it.I tried that program that God wrote, but it doesn't work with the 50 cent TSN files, so I say screw it...

cj
07-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Colt,

Sorry, but I find this confusing. If you import a Bris data file, isn't all the FPS calculations based on the Bris import? Not Bris figures, but Bris times.

The times are the same no matter which file you buy.

andicap
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I didn't mean the raw times but the actual BRIS pace and speed figs....

again it may work for some people....

headhawg
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I tried that program that God wrote, but it doesn't work with the 50 cent TSN files, so I say screw it... :lol:

MartyZee
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I purchased the program some time ago and use it in conjunction with several other programs-. You have good days-you have bad days- Colt is offering free trials-If you like it fine- If you don't/then don't use it and don't disparage him

banacek
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I tried it on a few old files and it did pretty good (except for my usual pet peeve - when the horse loses its jockey, it takes the leader's time all the way through. Maybe it only happens with BRIS files?).

But overall I liked it, well set up. Picked a few nice winners.

Jake
07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
The times are the same no matter which file you buy.

CJ,

Bris has variant numbers, TSN doesn't. So I assume the FPS numbers may vary depending upon the file source.

BTW, I wasn't being critical of the program. It's extremely tight and clean, has an excellent graphical interface, is very fast, and easy to use. I would suggest picking your own paceline since it seems surface insensitive. Very nice piece of programming overall.

Murph
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Bris has variant numbers, TSN doesn't. So I assume the FPS numbers may vary depending upon the file source.

Hello Jake,
I've never known of a bris file that applies or lists a daily track variant. Could you tell us more about the file types using a variant and the source of your information? I'd like to know much more about this development.

Thanks - Murph

Zaf
07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I think the bris file contains the DRF track variant. As we all know, a number with many faults.

Z

banacek
07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I think the bris file contains the DRF track variant. As we all know, a number with many faults.

Z

If it isn't the DRF variant, it is close. (I do adjust it with my software to my personal variant.)

headhawg
07-12-2006, 10:18 PM
If it isn't the DRF variant, it is close. (I do adjust it with my software to my personal variant.)According to the data structure explanation on the Bris site, fields 856-865 are the DRF speed rating and 866-875 is the DRF variant for up to the last 10 races. I thought this information was the reason why the Bris files are $1, when the TSN files are .50. The TSN's don't have the DRF info.

Jake
07-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Hello Jake,
I've never known of a bris file that applies or lists a daily track variant. Could you tell us more about the file types using a variant and the source of your information? I'd like to know much more about this development.

Thanks - Murph

Murph,

Headhawg was quicker on the draw, thanks Headhawg. Hope the answer is useful for you.

trying2win
07-20-2006, 03:23 PM
A big thank you to John, for first pointing out that Race Prophet handicappping software was available for free to try out. I really like it. Since downloading the program, I've done a fair amount of back-testing on using the options by themselves or in combinations of two. The back-testing of course, always seems to work better than the forward-testing (a mystery of the race track). A couple of examples...The best forward-testing results have been at Mountaineer Park. The worst at Northlands Park. Some tracks like Hastings park, Hollywood Park, Arlington Park and Emerald Downs show promise, but not enough races have been forward-tested to conclude anything convincng yet.

I prefer using Race Prophet now at most tracks for dirt races only. I prefer using Computrak for turf races.

I noticed that a Race Prophet update...i.e. V 2.7, is now available for download. It contains some extra options.

One bug that needs to be fixed though, is that in the area of early scratches. That is some horses are such early scratches that when a program is produced for a track, the program number is missing altogether. When this happens on occasion, and a user starts up Race Prophet for that particular race card, you get an error message that reads something to the effect that:

"Some races contain missing programs numbers, and the races that have these missing numbers will not show up in the race selection field". Hopefully Colt Cannon will read this post and make the bug fix. The race card for Emerald Downs on Sun. July 16/06 was a good example of that. Races 6 and 10 did not show up in Race Prophet.

T2W

John
07-20-2006, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=trying2win]A big thank you to John, for first pointing out that Race Prophet handicappping software was available for free

Thanks Tryingtowin. Glad you are enjoying Race prophet.

My primary concern is value on the horses that the program shows
should do well----If horses appear competitive on speed----I check "Race
Data" for warnings, then I check the "Fitness" tab, I prefer a horse
to be "0" to "+" in values then I look at "Class Differential" 75% of the
winners are "0" or "negative" numbered horses.After considering all
the info, I still must have value...if the top horse is hugely over bet, I
may drop down to the next pick if he is good odds and competitive.

I realize that most of these things you know, what Race Prophet does is
prompt you to look at all these features on a consistent basis so that
we don't overlook what we know is important.

RaceProphet is a good Handicapping tool.It helps tp enhance the overall race shape.

Sly7449
07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Greetings,

I tried both the TSN .50 cents and the Pro Caps $5.00 file and they do NOT populate BRIS Power, Mud, Turf nor Distance Pedigree. Variant also did Not populate.

When I used the BRIS file, the above were populated.

Please note that my version displays as 2.61 however when I click on About, it displays as Ver 2.7 18 Jul 2006.

Not bad Compact Program. Just limited in Factors.

The Charts are beautiful and the Colour for the PP are really Cool.

Nice lil Super last Friday while flirting on a Test drive :jump:

L8R

Sly

John
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes Sly, I think something is lost when you use TSN .50 file

Sly7449
08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
John,

Speaking of something lost.

I d/l from TSN for CT 080306. Race 1 did not show the 1 and 2 Horses as entered in the race.

Has anyone out there experienced this omition when using Race Prophet?

Thanks

Sly

Sly7449
08-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Same story as above for LAD Fri 4 Aug. Race 1, NO 1 or 2 Horses.

E-mail sent to Colt, No response yet.

The same TSN Files I d/l works in another Program and DOES SHOW the 1 and 2.

Am I ALONE?

L8R

Sly

trying2win
08-04-2006, 01:55 PM
SLY:

Yes, I have noticed that the missing first two program numbers in the lst race of a racing card, has become a more common occurence lately with RACE PROPHET. I meant to send an email to Colt Cannon about that 'bug'. It needs to be fixed. Same goes for race cards where the #1 horse for example is a 'program scratch' before a race program is made official. In that case, the whole race with that program scratch is quite often missing.

T2W

John
08-04-2006, 02:38 PM
John,

Speaking of something lost.

I d/l from TSN for CT 080306. Race 1 did not show the 1 and 2 Horses as entered in the race.

Has anyone out there experienced this omition when using Race Prophet?

Thanks

Sly

Sly I don't know what to say. I don't have those problems. I don't play at CT.

I will get a message to Colt,see what he does about it.

Roger
08-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Very nice Program...I do concur with above posts , that there are entries eliminated, Mostly in the first race in my experience. ???

shrink 1
08-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I too have had the first 2 horses missing on Bris race cards from Sar Mth Ap Dl and Pha. I e-mailed Colt and have not gotten a response. I even tried to re download the sane cards with no luck. Hope we can fix it as it is a good program.

FormalGold1
08-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Mountaineer on July 14th, Race 5
6F Clm 500n2y 10 entered

Race Prophet's top 4 : 3-8-2-7
Results : 7-2-8-3

$2.00 Super paid... $ 34,501

I did not box top 4, saved money !:eek:

John
08-05-2006, 09:45 AM
WOW !!!!! OUCH.

csperberg
08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I too have had problems with missing runners in the first race on cards. Outside of that it works fine. Use to work good before the last update.

John
08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
This is the answer I received from Colt.

We are checking into the problem and an update should be released soon. :ThmbUp:

Colt Cannon

Sly7449
08-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Greetings,

I would like to say Thanks to all that responded on the "Missing Horses" issue.

Thanks also to John and also PA.

This BBS surely gives a Forum to vent and share ideas, problems, and other issues that could benefit the players.

Thanks Again.

L8R

Sly

John
08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Your Welcome my friend.

Colt Cannon
08-22-2006, 06:56 PM
When you open a race in Race Prophet there are two main tabs on the left hand side of the page-----"Race Data" and "Horse Data".....if you click the "Horse Data" tab....and look at the bottom...there are two tabs there---"Consolidated Data" and "All Data"-----------a lot of people email us to ask why certain information (like the Jockey's name or a horses lifetime stats) aren't available when in reality it is located here--------I'm sure most of you were aware--this is for those who didn't know the tab was there.

Thanks

John
08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks Colt, I know it's there now. :jump:

:) :) :)

Sly7449
08-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Greetings,

Ver 2.8 is available and has corrected the Missing Horses Problem. I downloaded and reprocessed the files in question and it DID pick up the 1 and 2.

Hope that others that experienced similar situation d/l and reprocess.

Ver 2.8 is dated 8 Aug 06. I just stumbled on it.

L8R

Sly